Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Looking to buy a scanner - any suggestions? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to use it mostly for scanning in photos - my mom is the family archivist, and I would love to scan in all the old photos she has and store them in a safety deposit box for safe keeping (and post some here - we are long time Detroit area family).

I have a relatively new (three years old) HP pc, so running new equipment shouldn't be a problem there.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

~Liza

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an Epson Perfection 3200 Pro which I bought for my video biz several years ago. It was a little pricey ($400.00) at the time. However, it does everything I ask it to including hi-res scans of photos, 35mm slides, print media, etc and works flawlessly with my Mac. Hope this helps.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you! That is a bit spendy for me - but at least I have one suggestion to go on. I'll keep looking and asking around.

~Liza

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought an inexpensive Epson scanner/copier/fax three years ago and haven't had any complaints. I've scanned and reproduced photos from my camera and the quality of the reproductions is high (indistinguishable from the originals). The software is easy to use, too. I don't think I paid over $120...

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 873
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Microtek ScanMaker6800 that does really good work, especially with older photos.

Citychick
Username: Citychick

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are looking for a used one, I have one for sale cheap. It isn't compatible with my new computer.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6286
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll agree with Jimg. I've got the Microtek 5800 with the slide adapter. No complaints.

Check Tigerdirect.com

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5485
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing my mac tech told me to do was if I was going to buy a scanner was to match brands up with my printer. It was his logic to keeping color compatiability. I've had both my Epson printer & scanner for years and love them both.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have Mustek 1200 plus that I paid $39 for and I no longer use it. Nothing wrong with it but you will have to download the free driver. It runs usb power so you do not need an adaptor or an extra space on your power strip.
I have an all in one HP now.

You can have it...I live in New York City.
You can pick it up(smile) or I can send it to you...let me know.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch out for some older scanners, you'll find there are no compatible drivers for XP. I had this problem with a Vivitar scanner. Just make the the company is in business and provides support and continues to make up to date drivers.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3631
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I didn't exactly need it. I checked into a Salvation Army store across the street from the ATM this week and discovered they had a fairly new (unused?) scanner for $11 as yet another one for my home network of computers.

Couldn't hurt to try some second-hand stores.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 549
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggest the HP F380 all in one printer.... I believe I paid $89 for it last year. Very small, and can certainly handle the necessary work usage for home office, and is great for college student type activities (powerpoints, papers, photo, etc.)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.