Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Metalwork Artist? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone recommend a metalworker who creates pieces for home decor? I have an idea for a functional piece (with some pictures for reference) but I have only seen it online in Europe.

I really don't want to ship it if there's someone in Detroit who can create this!!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd try to track down Forumer Metaldoctor for leads, but if you cannot connect with someone more local, I used to live not-so-far from Durand VanDoren in upstate NY: http://www.lightlink.com/duran d/

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spidergirl; check out disenos ornamental ironwork in mexicantown; they do some really wonderful stuff: http://disenosiron.com/ for examples, just check out the front of their store (yes, those calla lilly's are made of iron), the matrix theatre, and various yards throughout the area.

also try can handworks, immediately east of eastern market: http://www.canarthandworks.com / have never worked with them before, but their studio looks amazing. the website listing awards is also fairly impressive.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, you can also try looking up chris turner. he used to have a studio on east grand boulevard, but i have lost track of him. maybe another forumer knows how to find him. i know he's still in the city; i still see him around. he made/helped with the millenium bell in grand circus park.

you might also want to check out the russell industrial center. i don't recall if there was any metal workers last time i was there, but it seems like the type of place to house someone like this that you're looking for.

you might also want to move this over to the discuss detroit page; it might get more attention.

Spidergirl

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rsa - I was thinking about Russel Industrial Center too.

I remember there was someone who had metalworks at the Festival of the Arts a few years back (but can't find his card) so I will see if he's there next weekend...

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try contacting Richard Gage Design Studio in Hazel Park. Richard should be able to help you or direct you to somebody that can.

Richard Gage Design Studio
425 W 9 Mile Rd
Hazel Park, MI 48030

(248) 541-7730

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda Box. She teaches at CCS.

http://boxofdetroit.com/

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 796
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RSA, Chris Turner happens to be *at" Russell now. Not sure how to contact, though--Gravitymachine might pipe in with that.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had no idea chris was here/there lol.

I'll toss in Coley from the salt mine as a possible canidate for the work
http://www.salt-minestudio.com /

(Message edited by gravitymachine on June 05, 2007)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's an iron piece check out Disenos Ornamental Iron in Southwest Detroit.

http://disenosiron.com/

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Chris Turner happens to be *at" Russell now. Not sure how to contact, though--Gravitymachine might pipe in with that

Talking about "piping in" and locating Chris in the same sentence made me chuckle...

Like a bat signal or something.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighbor works at CCS as a 3d instructor...he does metal stuff. In fact he has a sculpture in his yard.

Spidergirl

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defendbrooklyn - any contact info you could share?

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will ask him today or this weekend...

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spider,
I talked to my neighbor this weekend and he is interested...however, i forgot to get his email. i will get it soon.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 842
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised the Metaldoctor hasn't chimed in here yet...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9440
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second both AmandaBox and Turner.

Smaller project creatively done on time? Amanda

Larger project willing to pay a wee extra for the celebrity factor of someone already listed in 'Art in Public Spaces'? Turner

Haven't done business with either, but am getting to know each socially. Amanda hasn't the history in this town that Turner has, but she appears the more stable!

Spidergirl

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I contacted both Amanda and Coley and they are both thinking about the project.

Thanks for everyone's help! I'll let you know what the final outcome is (and maybe even post some pics)

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spider,
My neighbor registered for a username and has not yet received his confirmation email...
As soon as he gets it he will chime in.

Can you describe what you are looking for?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.