Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Don't go to Don Pablo's in Canton « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worst food poisoning ever! My wife and I got very sick after eating at the DP on Ford Rd. in Canton Sunday night. I'm still feeling the effects.

That is all.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4518
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before the whole anti-chain/corporate gang sounds off, I got poisoned pretty bad at Xochimilco in Detroit. Worst Case EVER.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can this thread be on worst food poisoning incident? Gotta vote for Traffic Jam & Snug; group of four, all got deathly ill.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had the little Ceaser's Hot Ready Pizza clean me out good. I was foolish enough to think that Hot N Ready refered to the actual pizza, not the bowel movement that came 20 minutes later.

(Message edited by cambrian on June 05, 2007)

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, that sucks! I remember one time I ate a bunch of White Castles and I almost shit my pants. Didn't stop me from eating them!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xochimilco's for me too. Twice.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

***comments may not be suitable for the faint of stomach***

Since I'll never meet most of you in real life, I can disclose that this bout of poisoning ruined two pair of underpants - as I lay on the floor vomiting, the muscle contractions simultaneously forced the action at the other end. Alternatively, later whilst sitting on the toilet, I was forced to use my infant son's plastic bathtub as a barf receptacle because I couldn't get up.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time food made me sick was at my mom's house. I used bbq sauce for dipping that was 3 mos. past the expiration. It won't stop my from eating at my mom's house, though. If there is a pattern of it happening, though (like maybe Xochimilco's?) maybe it would be a good idea to not eat there.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pics?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 555
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^- HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1-800-CALL SAM

Cambrian

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard the issue with Mexican restaurants was with salsa for the chips. Some places leave it out too long.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Red Lobster in Southgate that was to blame for my toilet hugging, vomit spewing, projectile feces explosions and near death experience. NEVER will I eat there again...

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock--you guys do stick together, don't you.

Tort reform would have a chance if congress wasn't all lawyers!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, tort reform in Michigan has gone full-circle. Product liability suits were the rage in Michigan up 'til the mid-90's, and now you hardly see one filed here anymore. I tried my last 3 product cases in '99 when I represented two lawnmower companies.
The "open and obvious" defense in Michigan has pretty much slammed the door on most, but not all, of the slip and fall cases which were some plaintiff atty's bread and butter suits.
Same for auto cases wherein "serious impairment "now means you are practically dead before you can collect.
Republican majority on our appellate and Supreme Courts have put a damper on things. And if the plaintiff attys don't file suits, we defense atty's have nothing to do. I was very happy to retire in 2000! 36 years was enough.
Congress? Guess you are right on that score packman. Wait til John Edwards gets in office!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2317
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It was Red Lobster in Southgate that was to blame for my toilet hugging, vomit spewing, projectile feces explosions and near death experience.

For me it was about 10 of the Jager and Jack concoctions somebody was pouring for me at good old Honest John's.

Damn food poisoning.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't even know Don Pablo's still existed. All the ones I knew of had shut down (I admit though, that I only knew of two).

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 461
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have eaten at Xochi's for years (100+ times) and never had food poisoning. Then again, I've never had food poisoning anywhere. First place I'm eating when I visit Detroit next? Xochi's.

Patrick

Post Number: 4531
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The food at Xochimilco's was great but it wasnt worth the shit that came after...literally. I threw up at least 7 times. I should have reported the fuckers.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4501
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst food poisoning I had ever heard of was from a former coworker at Michigan Bell, who was sick for 6 weeks with food poisoning.

The reason.... she went off on a 1 week cruise, and while gone her apartment building was without power for several days. Building management never told her, so she kept eating spoiled food from her freezer over and over again.

I told her to sue, but she didn't.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to take this death and dying class last fall at CMU. One evening the featured speakers were some gift of life people. One guy was telling us about his kidneys failing, him being near death, ready to die, saying goodbye to his kids, luckily his wife's kidney turned out to be a match, which saved his life. What started it for him? Listeria from a fast food hamburger.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picked up a Potbelly's meat sub in Chicago while on my way to Jackson, Mississippi. Left it sitting out for 4 hours. Clearly I wasn't thinking, since I woke up in the middle of the night on an Amtrak train and vomited for about 5 min. Thankfully my coat was right in front of me...

Gistok

Post Number: 4503
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why after having it sit out for 4 hours, I decided to bypass the mayo based potato salad at the Forum picnic, and instead opted for the oil based pasta salad...

Matt_the_deuce was brave enough to try the potato salad, so for a couple hours I kept asking him later how he was feeling! :-)

He was fine!

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He was fine!

Probably because mayo is unlikely to cause food poisoning.

Gistok

Post Number: 4518
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Store bought mayo, I agree, but homemade mayo can turn into Salmonella Salad...

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/ chap1.html

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate to break it to you, but 99.9% of mayo used is commecially produced and I think it's safe to say that no one brought a salad to the forum picnic that was made with homemade mayonnaise.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, amen to those hot n readys! They are BADDDDD. The effects linger into the next day for me. I usually go 6 months without eating one, but somehow end up getting one with friends somewhere. BAD BAD BAD mistake!

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oddly, any time i have ever eaten a chicken dish at ANY Mexicantown restaurant i have left with a stomachache. the mayo-based forum picnic salads, on the other hand, suited me just fine, even after SEVERAL tequila Jello shots.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought mayo salads can "go bad" if left in the hot sun? Fortunately the day of the picnic was cool and the food was in the shade so everyone survived. :-)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Mayo (har har har) Clinic:

Answer

Commercially produced mayonnaise is an unlikely cause of food poisoning. This is because it is made with pasteurized eggs, which are heat treated to kill harmful bacteria, such as salmonella. It also has a high level of acidity — from ingredients such as vinegar or lemon juice — which inhibits bacteria growth. Homemade mayonnaise, on the other hand, is made with raw egg yolks, which may contain harmful bacteria, and should be avoided.

Keep in mind that any food has the potential to cause food-borne illness. For example, harmful bacteria can be introduced into a food during harvesting or manufacturing or from unwashed hands during preparation. If a food sits out and is allowed to get warm, it provides a perfect breeding ground for such bacteria.

To keep your mayonnaise-based salads safe, follow these tips:

* Wash all produce thoroughly with clean, cold water.
* Use commercially made mayonnaise instead of homemade mayonnaise.
* Refrigerate salads immediately after preparing them and keep them at 40 F until they're served to prevent the growth of bacteria.
* Don't leave cold food out at room temperature for more than two hours.
* When mayonnaise-based salads must sit out, put them in a shallow container surrounded by ice and replace the ice as needed.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/heal th/food-and-nutrition/AN01131

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 635
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IHOP Royal Oak for me - bad sausages.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Serving mayo based salads at a picnic? get a cheap kiddie swimming pool, fill it partially with ice, then place the salad bowls in the ice. The picnic can go on for hours and you don't have to worry about the salads going funky.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 2005, my wife and I went to Xochimilco with a very large group. Happy to report no one became ill. Like tourists, we took a photograph of the outside.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5349
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordering two on one, mustard and onions, fries, Vernor's and chocolate cream pie at The Lafayette. Never ever get sick. Gotta love them Albanian sanitarians in Detroit. But thanks for the tip out in Canton.

The same can be said for the #14, Jackie Gleason Special at any Deli on Orchard Lake Rd. You might feel bloated, but you ain't sick. Wash that one down with Dr. Brown's Black Cherry sodas.

jjaba, Westsider.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

every time i read this thread title i wonder why anyone *would* go to don pablo's, in canton especially

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 592
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn, Jjaba, you are going to make me sabotage my diet! LOL (though you said you ordered Vernors with all that...that could have saved your stomach!)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5354
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, Vernors cures many ills. Warm it and watch that cold, cough, and flu disappear.
Vernors with food provides all the bubbles for good digestion. James Vernor was a genius.

They named Detroit's "Ginger Ale Highway" for him.

jjaba.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 862
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to be on the safe side, I will avoid going to Canton completely.

Patrick

Post Number: 4556
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, get any Kobe Beef over there in Japan?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.