Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » VHS to DVD « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking to get a VHS tape recorded to DVD. Anyone know of a good place to get this done?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe you can do it at home. I'm not sure what devices to use though.

Beadgrl

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there are dvd/VHS units that can do it. My dad has a friend that has one of them. But..he lives in Tennessee. Hmm!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Well I think they still sell them in stores. A lot of them are likely selling below $200 (if not) $100 by now. Just go buy one and use the instructions.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can buy a standalone DVD recorder for less than somebody will charge for the service. You just plug in the tape deck and hit record.

Stay away from computer hardware solutions, that can involve some technical issues.

Heres an example for $100:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm /Sylvania-DVD-Player-Recorder- ZC320SL8/sem/rpsm/oid/178672/c atOid/-12876/rpem/ccd/productD etail.do

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9383
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beadgrl,

E-mail me at jjgannon (at) earthlink (dot) net.

If you're in the city, we might be able to work something out.

I have an older DVD-R recorder that should work, fed by a top-of-the-line S-VHS deck. Not quite sure if DVD-R will play on every DVD player, although I should know. I'll check, but if you get it done ANYWHERE else, make sure they guarantee the recorded DVD will play on all regular DVD players.

No doubt you will not get a better copy of that videotape this side of taking it to a Professional Video production company using studio equipment. I'll be much cheaper, but if we need a production company for anything, they're right next door.

Cheers!

Gannon

Post Number: 9384
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the recorder Mauser recommends is DVD-R so it looks like they won the format battle.

It's been over for years, I just never checked the score!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the + won the battle - but nonetheless, most new machines made in the last 3 years do both. Most burners also burn both.

Problems with the format can be fixed by simply making a copy of the DVD.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about 8 mm film or Super 8 film to DVD. We have some old family films we'd like to get converted. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gannon

Post Number: 9401
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories,
You can build a simple shadow-box with a white board or foam-core board, and use a DVD or other format digital camcorder to digitize it...after setting white balance, focus and all that other happy stuff.

Then, if you want to get really crazy, you can get software to edit them before dumping them on the final DVD.

There used to be shops that did this, but I haven't seen them around recently. Some wedding video firms have all the technology needed, so they could be doing this on the side for cash.

Mauser,
Hard to believe they never resolved the five-format crap, what pride my industry shows in each individual company.

That Sylvania won't do +R, neither will my Toshiba. Funny that Circuit City's 'Click and Learn' says there are the five formats without taking a stand on any of them...nor explaining the virtues and benefits of each.

I really, really hate my industry sometimes, EXACTLY why I didn't pay any attention to this format war. Every time there is one, I just check out of the game until the dust settles.

I haven't had either an HD-DVD or BluRay in my studio since they introduced both High Def disc choices...although I have set them up at client's houses, reluctantly!

Gannon, Luddite Technology Consultant.

Cheers.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://alliedvaughn.com/index. cfm

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11587
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will convert VHS to DVD at a place in the corner of the Michigan Building downtown, right next to the United Artist building. They advertise the service in their window.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3265
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I picked up a SONY DW-G120A assembled in an external enclosure and wired for USB porting from theTechGeek.com for about $70 with no S&H a year ago. The only problem was that the driver would not burn CDs/DVDs using Windows XP or Vista Ultimate. Downloading another driver and flashing its firmware solved that.

These URLs list some specs:
specs 1
specs2

It writes in a number of recording formats:
Write:
DVD+R: 2.4X, 4X (CLV), 8X(ZCLV), 12X (PCAV), 16X, 18X (CAV)
DVD+R DL: 2.4X, 4X (CLV), 6X , 8X (ZCLV)
DVD-R: 2X, 4X (CLV), 8X (ZCLV), 12X (PCAV), 16X, 18X (CAV)
DVD-R DL: 4X (CLV), 8X (ZCLV)
DVD+RW: 2.4X, 4X (CLV), 8X (ZCLV)
DVD-RW: 1X, 2X, 4x (CLV), 6X (ZCLV)
DVD-RAM: 2X, 3X (CLV), 5X, 12X (PCAV)
CD-R: 16X (CLV), 24X (ZCLV), 40X, 48X (CAV)
CD-RW: 4X, 10X, 16X (CLV), 24X, 32X (ZCLV)

Write Method:
DVD-RAM/+RW: Random Write
DVD+R/+RW: Sequential Recording
DVD-R/RW: Disc at Once
DVD+R: Sequential Recording
DVD+RW: Random Write
CD-R/RW: Disc at Once

The TechGeek has a unit now for $65 (no S&H) for recording DVDs and also includes a TV tuner.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on June 03, 2007)

Beadgrl

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, what i want is a DVD copy of my Probert/Kocur fight tape. So, it is nothing important or pressing.

*grins sheepishly*

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you search youtube for it? Someone may have already done it for you.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Did you search youtube for it? Someone may have already done it for you."

Not if Viacom has anything to say about it. Good Luck searching on there, (lol).

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11593
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viacom? LMAO Here is the fight on youtube, as apparently they didn't have much to say.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dJ3 lh_RVTl0

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beadgrl,

I've run a little post production side-biz for the last 7 years or so. I convert all types of media (8mm film, VHS, VHS-C, 8mm tape, Mini DV, Mini DVD, etc) as well as edit, title, etc. Let me know if you still cant get it transferred.

Beadgrl

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, they only claim their property. They check their property every single day (I even seen a guy named ViacomCorp). Fortunately, they allowed us to keep the Viacom and Paramount Slideshows saying "It May Say" like some type of God or King. Check their site on the 100 page lawsuit between them and YouTube. The video you uploaded is Original and not copyrighted by anyone. That's why they didn't delete it.

Viacom, your friendly monopoly always around to ruin your entertainment pleasure for profit.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone tell me where I can convert my Bluebird '78 records to 8 track or am I living in the past?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol The_rock, good one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.