Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Another Question for New York Forumers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I recently moved to NYC to pursue a job opportunity here. It's playoff season and I'm going through withdrawal. Are there any good Detroit bars in town?

I read online there's a Motor City Bar on the Lower East Side, not too far from where I'll be living starting June 1 (but kind of a hike from where I'm staying until the apartment opens up). Is that place any good?

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andysrc,

Don't believe the Motor City Bar has a television. It has some nifty stuff on the walls and the owners are from Detroit, but the staff I've encountered there were from all around the country. Even though it says Motor City, I've never found the place as welcoming as my neighborhood bars.

In Brooklyn, Park Slope/Prospect Heights area, where that monstrosity of an arena is planned, there is a bar called Freddys in my neighborhood that still has a few Detroiters as regular patrons. Watched the Pistons game there last night with a few ex-pats, but it's not ideal as there's no sound and Versus is not part of their cable package. Still it's a great bar, and historic now, since it is at the epic center of the fight to stop Bruce Ratner from building his ill-conceived Atlantic Yards.

The best place I found was recommended to me by a former Detroiter. It was in midtown on Park Avenue around 35th street. Can't remember the name of the place and a Google search turns up nothing, but I watched the Pistons-Spurs seventh-game there two years ago and the place was Detroit crazy. There was a huge Pistons contingent there and they had this enormous Pistons banner that some guy would carry back and forth in front of the large projector screen to get the crowd going. I've been in Detroit for some Wings/Pistons playoff games, but this place was louder. In fact, it was so Piston crazy, you forgot you were even in New York. However, this was two years ago and a lot happens in New York in that time, so I don't know if the place is even around anymore. I'll find out. If so, I would highly recommend it.

Otherwise, I would recommend just checking out a good sports bar in Manhattan, chances are you'll find some Red Wing/Piston fans there.

Cheers

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 883
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Motor City Bar is owned by a woman who grew up in Huntington Woods. It's mainly a hipster bar (no TV), with lots of stolen street signs from Detroit, and a great vibe. My favorite part of the place is a vintage 1950's illuminated clock hanging over the bar, featuring a lighthouse and the words "Detroit: A Great Place to Live".

It's not really a place where a lot of Detroit ex-pats hang out. I don't think there's any real D-ex-pat bar in NYC. Motor City is basically a novelty (but not touristy) bar, where you can sit in car seats and dig cool muscle car murals. The music leans toward punk rock on the weekends.

Thanks XD for the heads-up on the place at 35th & Park. Haven't been there yet, but I'll check it out if it's still there. I remember seeing an unusual number of people here wearing Pistons jerseys around town during the last couple of seasons.

I've gone to see Red Wings games at Madison Square Garden & Nassau Coliseum, and have been amazed by the number of people wearing Wings jerseys. Good to know that this town appreciates a good team, even if it's not their own.
In the way of sports, anything but Boston is generally safe here.

[BTW: XD, I'm right there with ya on the Ratner-tip.]

Soulsauce
Username: Soulsauce

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a bit of a tangent, but when I lived on the East Coast, I too remember seeing lots of people wearing Pistons jerseys in Manhattan. Especially at the Puerto Rican Day parade, but I assumed it was because in addition to the team being great, the colors went well with the Puerto Rican flags. (Those years of the ill-conceived teal/red color schemed excluded.)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, it was called the Park Avenue Country Club at 27th and Park. I was a couple of blocks off. I drove by there during the weekend and its windows were covered by brown-paper. Not good.

Their web site is still up: http://parkavenuecountryclub.c om/

but the phone numbers on their web site are no longer in service. Looks like it's over for them.

If I hear of another place, I'll let everyone know.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for chiming in. It sounds like the Motor City Bar may be a cool place to check out, but not to watch a game.

Because of how many people that have left Detroit, there are always lots of fans in other cities. Going to a Bluejackets game against the Wings is like a home game for Detroit.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you happen to be in the motor city bar take the michigan quiz...If you get a 90% you get a free drink. I was really really drunk but i remember it being pretty tough.

In park slope around 5th and 1st there is a bar called Great Lakes...or something like that. I met a few detroiters in there...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.