Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Recommend Any Lasik Providers? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#1) Can anyone recommend a good Metro area lasik provider or steer me away from any bad ones?

It’s time for new glasses, & I am considering having lasik done, instead. A coworker loved her experience at the Windsor Laser Eye Institute. My mom & her then-fiancé went to a different Windsor provider on the riverfront & loved their experiences, but I can’t ask her which one, since she has since passed away (& the then-fiancé has since remarried & won’t talk to me . . . but that’s another story :-) ).

#2) Any knowledge of any good prices for lasik?

(I already know about the Yaldo Eye Center’s “special” price starting at $299 per eye, which turned into almost $2,600 for me . . . & my eyes aren’t that bad. Sigh.)

If worse comes to worse, I’ll cheerfully get new glasses for a few more years.

Thanks so much in advance.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Reitman is even worse, incredibly expensive, unless you're a media celebrity, then it's free.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awfavre, I had Lasik 2 months ago and can only say that the return on investment is immediate.

I went to TLC in Farmington Hills. It was a bit more than some of the other providers in the area, but I got a discount through work. I went with the custom bladeless and it was about $3,000.

Everyone at TLC was great - from the receptionist to the doctors who provide your pre/post op care, and especially the surgeon, Dr. Sensoli. Plus, all your pre/post op visits are included in the total price.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 429
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had LASIK in February of '05. I went to Dr. Steven Fite in Clinton Township. I had been going to him for several years already for exams, so I felt comfortable with him. I paid $2,300. He performs the procedure at a DMC facility in Southfield. I wore glasses since third grade and couldn't even see my alarm clock without them. I also had contacts for 28 years. I was down to my last pair and made the decision to get it done. No regrets. My brother-in-law went to him based on my recommendation and also loves his results. It is definitely a life changing procedure. Best money I ever spent. Be warned, though, that you might need to wear reading glasses after depending on your age.

http://www.stevenfite.yourmd.c om/

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3504
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Daniel Haddad, Surgeon and supporter of Detroit Artists.
Did mine in 99. Can still see the alarm clock from across the bedroom.

Laser Eye Institute
355 E. Big Beaver Rd.
Troy, MI 48083

(248) 918-2739

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Eye Institute On Mack. Dr. Mertz. Had mine done in '02 still 20/10.

Fritzi
Username: Fritzi

Post Number: 376
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can answer any of your questions regarding LASIK. I have worked in this field for about 15 years. Actually, I get to see a lot of LASIK. I also work w/ a surgeon who handles issues related to LASIK.

The hardest thing for someone outside of the field to figure out who is the right surgeon. They all want to do your surgery, but some of them shouldn't be. Unfortunately, I've had a few too many patients, referred to us by aggressive surgeons, end up sitting in front of me while we try to figure out how we're going to rectify their issue.

I would highly recommend you see several surgeons before deciding. First, make sure you're comfortable with the surgeon, facility and staff. Go prepared with lots of questions.

Because of a few surgeon's (and companies) unfortunate advertising gimmicks, this procedure isn't taken as seriously as it should be. It is a surgery with risks. It's an amazing, life-altering surgery. But it's a surgery and has many risks.

Please don't look for the cheapest doctor. They're either the cheapest for a reason or they're using a similar-type of bait-and-switch that was mentioned above.

If you currently don't have it in your budget to pay approx. $2000-$3500, then you should either consider financing the procedure through a company like Care Credit (Google them) or wait until you can.

Again, I'm happy to answer any of your questions. There's very little I can't answer about this surgery.

I'm familiar with the care of each of the surgeons mentioned above -- also, there's no Reitman doing LASIK in the area. I'm fairly certain the person is referring to Dr. Robert Beitman in W. Bloomfield.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beitman. That's right. Sorry, mis-spelling.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Rosenbaum in the Lansing area did mine and I am incredibly happy with the results 5 years later. Best 3000 bucks I have ever spent. He is well worth the drive (I live in Flint) and was incredibly nice.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.