Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Best Thrift Stores in Metro Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Soulsauce
Username: Soulsauce

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've found some pretty cool things at the Salvation Army on W. Lafayette and the Jewish Women's Council out in Berkley.

I've noticed bunch of thrift stores on Gratiot past 14 Mile Rd (but have yet to visit any of them).

Where do you go "thrifting" for clothing, accessories, dishes, music, etc?

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Salvation Army store at Auburn and John R in Rochester Hills. Fancy threads at garage sale prices.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Salvation Army in Ann Arbor is fancy. Last summer I got a set of Wedgwood dishes there, teak salad bowls from Thailand on the same visit; always lots of rich college kid castoff clothes too, and pricey kids clothes.

In Detroit: The new Salvation Army on Fort is decent as is the HUGE St. Vincent dePaul on Gratiot.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot the Salvation Army in Royal Oak, also worth a visit!

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Value World in Taylor on Ecorse just east of Telegraph. Also another one on Dix in Southgate, about 5 miles south of I-75.

American Council of the Blind has a shop on Dix in Lincoln Park just north of I-75.

Or if you're out in Washtenaw county there's a Value World on Michigan Ave and Ford Ave in Ypsilanti (Twp?/Willow Run?). There's also a Value World or Salvation Army near Westgate in A2.

Between Detroit and A2, there's another thrift shop (maybe SVP) on the north side of Michigan Ave in Inkster I think it is.

Also a small resale shop on Allen Road next door to the new McDonalds at Oakwood in Melvindale.

Soulsauce

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the recommendations!

As a side note: I think it's so interesting that vintage trinkets and "grannie chic" is the in thing among teens and t'weens. When I was a teenager, you wouldn't catch me dead in a thrift store.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sticks wrote: American Council of the Blind has a shop on Dix in Lincoln Park just north of I-75.

I'm pretty sure this one closed up shop last year, ditto on the other location they had on 9 or 10 mile.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec, I'm pretty sure they're still open as of two months ago but I can always check when I visit family down there.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the Value Village that was on Woodward....perhaps in HP or thereabouts, but haven't been there in a while. One time a woman shoplifting some shoes (from, um, Value Village) tried to escape by jumping into a chute which lead to trash compactor,/bundler thing....and she ended up DAID. True dat.
Salvation Army on Fort used to be fun before the hipsters picked it over on a regular basis.
St. Vincent dePaul on Gratiot was good before it burned down and was rebuilt.

these days, head to the stores in Flint, Bay City/Saginaw, etc.....more likely to find some treasures outside of the hipster orbits.

FYI--look in the yellow pages...it is a very good source for thrift stores in any town. Much better than typically uninformed forum message boards.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the Salvation Army in Warren. It seems like the one in Clinton Township is good too. The Value WORLD on Woodward is good too. All the Value World's around Metro Detroit are excellent. Sunshine used to be good until they left their location on 8 Mile.

Soulsauce

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again for the tips!

LOL @ the hipster disdain. Not sure if I qualify under this category, but I suppose if I have to ask...

I'll check out the yellow pages too. I need cool cheap places to satisfy my shopping jones during lean times. I also like the idea of treasure hunting.

I figured someone on this board may have some good suggestions.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The American Council of the Blind thrift shop on Dix in Lincoln Park IS still open. I stop by there often.
I also enjoy the Value World on Dix.....amazing how much money one can save in a thrift store!

Xphillipjrx
Username: Xphillipjrx

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a good one on Orchard Lake Road in Keego and another good one on 4th or 5th in Royal Oak.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royal Jokes's thrift shop is the worst...its priced higher then Macey's...

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'tis the season for yard sales!! i have found some of my favorite things that way. the merch tends to be in better shape too.

Superaygun

Post Number: 571
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, there IS one on the eastbound 94 service drive at the Mt Elliott exit i have been meaning to check out. they always have tons of nice-looking furniture outside for sale, and lots of vintage signs. never been inside but have to go one of these days; cross street is called Lodi. there is also a fairly new one in Hamtramck on Conant at Evaline called Lenore's Resale. kind of a run-down looking place, but you can find some gems if you dig, and the guy who runs it is really nice. i found a great lamp there.

Soulsauce

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Superaygun -

I'm also looking for wall decor and some furniture for the back porch, so I'll definitely check it out.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bf and I love a good thrifting on Saturdays. Our fave is the Salvation Army in Rochester. Used books and household items are my spot. We have a ball there...take time to check out the albums. Laugh riot!

I'd like to try the one in A2. Sounds like it might be good pickings right about now.

Beadgrl

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inspired by the thread, the bf and I went thrifting on Saturday. Bought a bag of old silver flatware at Rescued Treasures in downtown Pontiac. The bf and I found some nice clothes at the SA on Lawrence in Pontiac. This past weekend was 50% clothes. Bought a nice top at the SA in White Lake and Master Mind game at the Rescued Treasure on M59.

All in all, got some nice stuff for less than $20!

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My best finds are from local estate sales - I get email notices by signing up at www.estatesales.net - the updates are weekly, then daily when you get to the end of the week. There are usually photos of the items and great descriptions, and also links to get instant maps from three different map sites.

LOVE estate sales!!! Though my husband wonders why I have to buy other people's stuff - until I come home with something really cool that only cost me a buck! :-)

~Liza

Soulsauce

Post Number: 217
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oooh, I can really get myself into trouble at an estate sale I'll bet.

Since posting this, I've visited the Salvation Army on Fort St. in Detroit, Value Village & St. Vincent de Paul in Roseville, Salvation Army in Auburn Hills, and Sunshine Thrift in Clinton Township (So far the best one for clothes!)

I really liked the Auburn Hills Salvation Army for it's size and selection, but I thought the it was way overpriced for a lot of the merchandise. I came across items from Isaac Mizrahi's collection for Target and they were $19.99! That's pretty much what they cost brand new at Target. At all the other ones it was very rare that anything was priced that high and many times the merchandise was 1/2 off.

Sunshine got major points with me for having the most clothes/merchandise that was unique and funky.

I can tell that I'm definitely becoming addicted though. It's great that there are so many places to check out in the metro area.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4431
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some God Squad group was making an awful racket this morning saving souls and passing out free clothes in Cass Park. Looked like a heck of an opportunity for thrift store shoppers.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5340
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Jelk was the first one in line, elbowing in for deals.

jjaba.

Superaygun

Post Number: 586
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is a big 30-block yard sale happening in Rosedale Park on Saturday, June 23, i believe from 9-6. saw the sign posted at Grand River and Warwick, i believe...? i will definitely be making a trip out there for that...

Beadgrl

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I signed up for the estatesales.net emails. The site is very interesting.

The BF and i plan a day of thrifting on Saturday in Royal Oak. Probably just end up browsing but i still enjoy it.

Beadgrl

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know RO isn't a place to look for bargains but i had hoped the SA might hold some good deals. No dice! The selection is very poor and what is there is terribly overpriced for a Salvation Army. Too bad.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.