Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Goddammit... Everythings gone out of my truck « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took a date to the Union Street last night.. Parked 1 block down on woodward, north of willis. Windows smashed... radio gone, phone gone, cds gone, system gone... I had a locked tool box bolted to the bed of the truck... smashed and grabed my roofing nailers, flooring nailers, air hoses, circular saws...

Fukin a.. probably 5 grand worth of shit gone. I wasnt in there for more than 20 minutes before i walked back to check on my truck (im not an idiot... i parked it on woodward for a reason). I guess that doesnt even matter... all i can do is pick up the pieces..

... and people wonder why this city cant ever get investors to drop money into it.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4944
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sympathies, I've been there.

Hopefully, those that "blame the victim" won't be too hard on you.

We should be able to simply park our cars and enjoy a meal, is that too much to ask?

Wally2times
Username: Wally2times

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing is, they'll probably sell it for $100.

sorry to hear about that. It sucks to lose your chit.

And jams, if someone blames Alexi for simply parking their car then they are idiots.

I see the Ivanhoe has a private security force to police and protect peoples chit.

LOLOL damn shame.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 322
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just don't like it that Detroit doesn't have cops walking the beat like we do here in NYC. On nice days take the cops out of the car and make them walk around. remember patrolling? That would really make a difference. 313

Wally2times

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

313 where in NYC are you?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei289--you have just experienced step one. Now comes step two when you deal with the DPD to file a report. You will find that:

2)the phone is absolutely useless for this purpose, they have their system engineered to avoid nuisances such as yourself. This will lead you to....

3) going to the nearest precinct to file a report in person. The desk officer will roll their eyes, smirk at your ignorance of procedures, then begrudgingly offer up the forms you are required to fill out, all the while acting put out that you are actually making them do their job.

4)They will convey a sense that it's all your fault for parking there, having tools in your truck or turning your back on your truck.

A PD that can't figure out who shot up a whole neighborhood isn't very interested in something as trite as stolen property.

Good luck.

Alexei289

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aparantly it is... I bet the guy that took it is planning on getting blown off his ass from all the crack he can buy pawning my shit... er his shit.

Im planning on checking the pawn shops on and off all week. By law, they are supposed to wait 1 week before they can put anything on the shelves to make sure the property wasnt stolen. I got a list of my shit and serial numbers on all my tools.. Plus they were all labled with my company name and number on them. If that was the paint where i placed them would have to be scratched off to get rid of my name.

The police were great.. I fully knew they couldnt do much... but i still wanted to file a report just so if i do find my shit at a pawn shop, it would be reported stolen. As i called the central division.. "Hi, my windows were smashed, and I had stuff taken from my truck" *click*...

O well... I guess im fully at fault for parking my truck (rolls eyes)..

Wally2times

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good luck I feel for you

Jams

Post Number: 4946
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman,
Grrrrrrrrrr, thanks for reminding me about the reception I received from the boys in blue when I reported the third of four vehicles stolen in front of my house in two years.

They seemed to have a greater concern about why I lived there.

I'm almost happy about not owning a vehicle, knowing I won't have to spend an hour or more getting to the "district" house by bus to report it missing.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 935
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm not mistaken, the pawn shop doesn't have to give you your shit back even if you can prove it was stolen. Maybe someone can shed some light on it, but that is my understanding.

Jams

Post Number: 4947
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Alexei289,
My friend who owns a couple pawnshops explained the game to me after I told him of my search for the photo equipment at the pawnshops.

They simply get on the internet, find a buyer in some other part of the country and sell off "spurious" goods in a lot with other legitimate pieces, voila, it never hits the shelves here.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wally, I live in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn, and work in two location of Manhattan, Times SQ, and Central Park South. 313

Alexei289

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Money talks... bullshit walks...

My insurance deductable is 3gs... I can afford to buy some information for more than what the pawn shop paid the person who turned it in. I dunno we'll see...

If it was just cds, or a sterio.. id just fix my windows and call it a fuked up night... but I had ALOT of shit stolen... Its almost worth my time and effort if I can get anywhere.

If I cant.. o well... thats the way it is... I know how this shit works and i know people on the other end of this game...
The method they used to take my shit was swift and anything that could be grabbed in 1 minute. My glove compartment was open... so they were clearly experianced enough to look for creditcards, proof of insurance or other valuable information.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How'd the date go?

Alexei289

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol bout the only good part...

too bad... cause it was her first time in the D.. kinda made a real bad impression on her...

Im pissed, but i know how people are.. and I know people steal shit no matter where u live. Ive had shit stolen out of my driveway in Shelby Township a few years back.

it didnt help my spirits when i was cleaning my truck and found shell casings on the floor... nice to know they shot out my windows, not just busting them. However, i called the police back about it, and now all of a sudden their very interested... I guess i will see...

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 678
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are about 60,000 REPORTED crimes involving theft in Detroit each year, which is about 165 per day. I am sure there are more as many folks probably don't even bother calling the police anymore because of the general apathy of law enforcement.

It is alarming to consider that the rule of law is ignored in general by many in the city, and then the victims have little recourse as the police are overwhelmed and indifferent to the problem.

This issue alone will make it impossible to mount any sort of meaningful revitalization effort in the city for the foreseeable future.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had a few things stolen in Detroit and beyond. One thing you learn very fast is to keep things out of sight and bolted down...but that just slows "them" down a little.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei,

Check craigslist Detroit, there is always tons of tools on there.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 776
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Alexei289. This further proves the point you can't even leave a fu--ing dime *anywhere* in your vehicle! Also shows that that area of midtown can be really seedy...all those bums around the majestic.... Many stories of thievery from that area of town. Thats where my car was annihilated by a drunk driver. But I need to add the obligatory statement to the above comments that 'this could have happened anywhere', and it really could of.

Again, sorry.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 712
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That stretch of Midtown has seen quite a rash in break-ins recently. I went to a show at the Majestic and parked in front of the old Blue Moon (or whatever it was called). Got out and noticed someone had busted a window out of the car in front of me (tire jack was lying on the sidewalk). I decided to just pay the $3 or whatever to park behind the Magic Stick.
The fact that there is a cop shop a few blocks down Woodward does nothing to discourage them. Considering how many people go to that stretch for shows and the like, you'd THINK the city would devote more of a police presence.
I've taken to removing ALL of my CDs, ALL of my change, every last thing out of my car and trunk before parking down there. Ridiculous, I know, but it comes with the Detroit territory, I guess.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear this and it really sucks to be you (us) when this happens. I've had my car ransacked once and stolen twice. It is really part of living here I believe (not meant to make you feel any better), but it isn't acceptable. We need tougher action on crime in the city (= more money) as soon as possible.

Whenever I hear of something like this I always think of when I was a kid in Williamston (My family did a stint there for 3 years in-between AnnArbor, Fowlerville and then Howell) and we were robbed. Pretty house just outside of the city, idyllic setting, pretty creek, large lawn (even swans in a pond my God!). My dad and I caught them in the act because I had a half day of school...they got away but it was scary.

There we were in the "lilly-white" valley of peace and harmony (ahem read slightly upper class white-trashville) gettin' robbed by guys dressed in black with black ski-masks.

I've lived in Metro Detroit for 17 years, in Detroit Proper for 12 years, and I've never had my home broken into. That's something to be said, especially if you think that right now someone who lives in Williamston has the impression that what happened in their own back yard 25 years ago to someone who lived there 3 years would surely happen to someone living in Detroit for 12 years.

3 years in Williamston = 1 Break-in and theft.
12 years in Detroit = 0 Break-ins.

Ok back to reality and your situation. I've got a few of the tools you mention that I don't use very much that you can borrow if you need to. Circular saw, table saw....they're crappy but they work

Good luck!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11553
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, is it safe to assume that parking a vehicle on the street when it contains $5,000 worth of tools and other valuables isn't the smartest thing to do? Perhaps paying the $5 or less to park in a lot with an attendant may be a better choice? It never ceases to amaze me that people simply don't get it when ya tell them DON'T KEEP ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR! This doesn't just apply in Detroit, as I've had just as many friends get their shit stolen in the suburbs, including their vehicles.

I've lived here almost 5 1/2 years now. I've parked on the street many times over the last few years, though I've never once had a problem. Of course, I don't stock it with a few $1,000 worth of stuff either. It's not like cars getting broke into on Woodward in that area hasn't been discussed on here multiple times over the past year. Live and learn I guess, with some people learning the hard way.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 881
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, something I've noticed about you is that, even when you are absolutely correct, your horn still strikes an annoying tone, and yet there is something about you that is, somehow, likable. I'm not trying to insult you; I suppose that I'm offering what is sometimes called a "left-handed compliment."

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 684
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love to see the cheerleaders for Detroit, who tell people all of the time how great the city is and how the crime issue is overblown later turn around and basically call somebody a dumb ass for coming into the city and getting robbed.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3467
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sucks Alexei, sorry to hear yet another "they got me" story.

It is hardly the responsibility of the owners of the Majestic and Union St. to provide security patrols, but if they were smart, they would pick up the baton.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Man-

Wherever there is poverty, there is theft. I lost my whole record collection some years back. You need two cars....one for the city, and one for the suburbs. You can't have anything nice in the city. The rap group, ICP lived on Cass Corridor for a while. They moved to the suburbs. I don't know how many cars they had stolen or broken into. I have had a number of purses stolen as well. I caught someone in my husbands car trying to steal it. Tore up the dashboard, but ran when he saw me. You'll learn. Soon, I hope.

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to hear that! I really hate to hear things like that! I try defending Detroit as much as I can to people, but it's really hard. Just last night at about one in the morning some a-hole ran into my PARKED car in front of my house in SW and ran off.

My wrecked car

And it took quite a few hours for an officer to come and make the police report. But anyhoo, I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. At least the date went well.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you perhaps heard the term "crime of opportunity"?

Reducing such opportunities goes a long way in not experiencing such theft.

I had a co-worker of mine who parked his van full of work/personal stuff at school and wow, who would've guessed it? Everything got jacked while he was in a short class. This was in Windsor btw... Some of the goods stolen were pretty sensitive equipment owned by a government corporation too, so that didn't go over well.

My friend who lives near Novi had her car broken into while she was in her house for a couple of dollars in change and some sunglasses.

My brother had a similar incident to the one above happen to him, again in Windsor. Someone smacked his car while it was parked in front of his house and he never even noticed until he went to drive it next.

This shit happens anywhere! No lie...

I know I've posted almost the same exact comments here before but come on, this stuff is common sense.

There's not much preventing a random act of vandalism against my vehicle or a stupid accident like the above example, but as for break-ins, none here yet so far. Not using my vehicle as a storage space when I'm not around probably helps I'm guessing.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose crime happens everywhere.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everywhere except Discuss Detroit, Buddy.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 966
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check the flea markets at van dyke & mcnichols. there is a good chance you'll find your stuff.

I lasted three years with no problems in the city. Always had the club on the car, and never left anything of value in the car. Then, within three months, I had my windows broken out four times, with the theives never getting more than $2 in change. Now I just leave the damn doors open and hope they realize there is nothing in the car before the break shit.

f'ers.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I've taken to removing ALL of my CDs, ALL of my change, every last thing out of my car and trunk

This is the best philosophy no matter where you are, but especially in a big city. A vast majority of these types of thefts are crimes of opportunity. In this city, with this police force, your best course of action is prevention. It's much, much more difficult for a thief to steal something they can't see. They're more likely to leave your car alone and go onto the next one if they look inside and see nothing or no indications (i.e. a truck-bed tool box) of anything worth stealing. They know there will be a better target with valuable stuff on the seat or dash within the next few cars. This isn't a cure-all solution, but it's one of the best things you can do to protect yourself. Sorry to hear about your situation Alexie. That makes for one crappy night.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 460
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I know what you mean... However, the more I hear it, the less I like it... :-)

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every place has crime, yes, but this part of town seems to have a bit more than usual. Another thread was talking about their catback getting sawed-off during lunch. The part that pisses me off is because, like someone mentioned, there's a precinct a few blocks north on Woodward. Any given night you can sit at the bar and see a few cop cars an hour.

The only thing I can say to people who are going to be at Union St/Majestic is to park in a lot. Either behind Majestic or in the DMC garage on John R.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4385
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got my truck broken into at MCC about 9 years ago. They took my CDs, spare change, text books, but the tards couldnt get my radio out. It happens everywhere regardless if you are in the hood or in GP.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 839
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Union Street offers attended parking in their lot for $3.
I always parked on the street until my beat up Saturn was smash/grabbed 100 feet away from Baker's. Nothing visible, they were after the CD/radio.
Sorry about your loss, Alexi.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 899
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im sorry ive had two cars stolen in midtown(one 1987 ponitac6000). My sympathies.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: If I'm not mistaken, the pawn shop doesn't have to give you your shit back even if you can prove it was stolen. Maybe someone can shed some light on it, but that is my understanding.

A pawn shop will generally work with you on getting back your stolen goods. Simply walk in with a police report (good luck) and the serial numbers and description and they will usually give your stuff back for the price they paid for it. When you find your stuff, tell the detective where it was (again, good luck)...pawn shops are required to get names and addresses for anyone who sells stuff (and if it's a reputable shop, they will copy ID or write down DL numbers).

This was my experience in working with pawn shops and getting stolen property back.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexi, sounds like you're doing a great follow up on the crime. You may want to put a flag on your credit cards to let them know you lost information.

My next door neighbor had her car broken into, and they also used the information that stole to open a fake credit card and bought gift coupons with it. They also sold information to identity theives who were also involved with this crime ring.

Again , if you think they may have taken something sensitive that could be sold to identity theives, have your credit flagged. When they do this, ANYONE opening or using your credit will be scrutinized, as well as you will be contacted that they are trying to use your name;identity for credit purposes.Its free and its worth the effort now as opposed to waiting.

To clear your name and get it resolved can take years....it sucks, but it happens... Jane

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.