Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Looking for Shade trees / nursery « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 459
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need help finding a nursery that handles a bigger variety then the few shade trees most places carry.
I may go with your typical red or silver maple but I have read up on some hybrid elms that are resistant to dutch elm disease and a few other trees that I would like to look at but cant seem to find them anywhere.. Dave

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4226
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust me.... avoid a Silver Maple. I have a huge 70 footer in front of my house, and it has cost me over $5,000 in digging up my front yard twice due to tree roots getting into the sewer system and my homes connector to it.

Silver Maples also have a tendency to have a lot of huge surface roots, making lawn mowing a pain.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contact The Greening of Detroit.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greater Detroit Landscaping has been a great resource for me in the past. They're on the eastside, just north of 8-mile in Warren. While they're less of a nursery and more of a full-service landscaper, they have many knowledgable folks on their staff, might be able to help you in your search.
http://bizdays.com/Michigan/bi zid-381005.html

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 505
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Milarch Nursery in New Hudson (248)437-2094. They have a great selection and competitive pricing as well.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're about to replace a chronically ill birch tree with an evergreen tree. We need to choose one of Colorado Blue Spruce, Concolor Fir or Norway Spruce.

Has anyone had any experiences, good or bad, with any of those species? I'm from the desert so I have zero knowledge of trees.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Joe Randazzo's in Westland. They have a good sized selection of trees (many different types of Maples to choose from if that's what you're looking for). I hope to purchase a River Birch from them this year. Healthy specimens and the size tree you get for the price is very, very reasonable, partially because they do not have warranties on their nursery items. So if it dies you're screwed, but I have never had a problem with any plant, shrub or tree purchased from them.

Thursdaynext

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and what Gistok said, avoid Silver Maples, they are nuisance trees! Very weak/messy as they always seem to be the ones with branches all over the neighborhood after a good storm blows through.

There is a "Green Mountain" Sugar Maple at Randazzo's I hope to get my hands on as well...and a Linden, and a Cherry, and...

Ddaydave

Post Number: 466
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 352
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silver Maples are weeds.

Try something different from the typical oak, elm or maple.

Look in to something like a Ginko, Beech, Tulip Poplar, or Sweet Gum.

Ddaydave

Post Number: 467
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and where do I ind these trees 321brian

Jimaz

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(ind = find, I'd guess.)

Jimaz

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We dropped the 40-plus-year-old birch tree on Friday. That was fun. The family decided that evergreens are out because it would hide the beautiful baby-blue house. We need to decide on a replacement tree.

Driving around today, I noticed many shorter trees displaying a blaze of magenta color. That might look nice against the house. What species of tree was I seeing on this fine May day?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 353
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any decent nursery should have one.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 506
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, Sounds like you may be seeing some type of Flowering Crab Apple. They are very nice trees to look at for a few weeks in the Spring, but they can make quite a mess and require lots of pruning. They also tend to have a short life span somewhere around 25-30 years before they often develop problems.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What species of tree was I seeing on this fine May day?

Probably a crabapple, they're really in full blossom this year, in shades of red, pink, and white. Another tree in bloom now is the redbud.

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Home Depot
American Elm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/n ation/environment/2007-05-07-a merican-elm_N.htm?csp=34

Jimaz

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnnny5, Hornwrecker, 1st_sgt, thanks for the tips. I'll pass on your helpful information to the rest of the family.

Ddaydave

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt thanks for that link I looked for the American elm at the local home depot and they said they didn`t carry it and they couldn't order it for me .. and I haven't found anyone else in the area that has american elm ..

Rrl

Post Number: 804
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, if my hunch is right, the bright magenta flowering trees you mentioned are not crab-apples, but called Eastern Redbud trees. They have small, bold, purplish-pink blooms that line the limbs and branches in the spring. Lovely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E astern_Redbud

Jimaz

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rrl, thank you very much. I need all the help I can get. :-)

Yow! Thanks for the link. That is one beautiful tree! (It looks like Michigan is beyond its natural range though. Maybe that doesn't matter though.)

Rrl

Post Number: 805
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, while not native to these parts, they are fairly hearty and can withstand our winters; not real easy to find in nurseries though.

Thursdaynext

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again recommending Randazzo's...they really do have a good variety of trees (Maple, Elm, Linden, Cherry, Crab, Birch, Dogwood, etc) at reasonable prices. Jimaz, I did see Redbuds there. Went up to MSU this past weekend and Redbuds were in bloom on campus and the surrounding areas. I even planted one at my old house in Redford; they do very well here and you can find them more tree form or multiple branches, like a lilac bush.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to the Eastern Market any Saturday, go to the canopies down by Roma Cafe, all kinds of nurseries that will bring you anything you want. Usually at least 1/3 less expensive.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastern Redbud:

Eastern Redbud

Nice! I wouldn't expect it to look like that year-round. Imagine that against a baby-blue house though. Beautiful! :-)

(Message edited by Jimaz on May 15, 2007)

Jimaz

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rrl, I just had to thank you for suggesting that Eastern Redbud. I checked it out with an expert today and he agreed. We have ordered the Forest Pansy variant. It's already a winner with the family.

Here are someone else's pictures: Forest Pansy Redbud.

Rrl

Post Number: 820
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers mate. Seems like you've picked a nice one; I like how the leaves start reddish in the spring, nice color throughout the year. Enjoy!

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ddaydave,
If you wanted to order on line, I've had good luck when I ordered trees from a place called Cold Stream Farm. They had a pretty good selection. They're near Ludington.

www.coldstreamfarm.net

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.