Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » "Gone with the wind" at the Redford this weekend « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GWTW will have two showings at the Redford theatre this weekend. If you have never seen this epic on the big screen, don't miss this opportunity to see it the way it was meant to be seen--in a beautiful vintage theatre. As an added bonus DY's Kathleen will have her GWTW display set up in the lobby for these showings. Her displays have photos from the 1939 showing of GWTW in Detroit (at the UA, right, Kathleen?)
showings at 8 PM Friday and Saturday evenings, just $5 admission, free supervised parking next to the theatre.

www.redfordtheatre.com

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're half right, 56packman.

Following the lead in other cities, "Gone With The Wind" had a dual opening for its Detroit premiere....on January 25, 1940, it opened at the United Artists Theatre and the Wilson Theatre (now Music Hall). It is rumored that Matilda Dodge Wilson personally called David O. Selznick in Hollywood to lobby for the Wilson Theatre to host the premiere.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 830
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, will you dress as Scarlet? Or maybe Rhett??

Kathleen

Post Number: 2237
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fiddle-dee-dee, Mr. Jimg!!

Not a chance....sitting in theatre seats wearing hoop skirts is not my cup of tea! But I'm sure that my love of GWTW will be evident nonetheless.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, wow - thank you for posting this! Would you believe I have never seen GWTW? I've read the book and loved it but since I don't watch tv, I've never had a chance to see the movie version. I've also wanted to check out the Redford Theater so I'm excited about this. I'll be there Friday night. :-)

Kathleen

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec: Wonderful!! You're in for a treat!! Be sure to arrive before 7:30 to hear the pre-movie organ concert.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, that is so cool, Kathleen! I'll do that. :-)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Redford Theater is just a great place. Kudos to the people who keep it running. I saw "The Sea Hawk" there a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. That venue is arguably the best place to watch an old movie in Metro Detroit.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11531
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,

Both I and Melissa look forward to seeing you tomorrow night! Sounds like a fun time.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw GWTW for the first time many years ago at the Redford Theatre. Wish I could be there this weekend. Enjoy.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2241
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, everyone! Be sure to look for me, as I am certain there will be a larger than usual crowd for this movie. The last time that I saw GWTW at the Redford was in January 1986! And it's been shown only a handful of times in Detroit area theatres since then.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 700
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to go so bad but I have to go see "Into the Woods" at the Bonstelle with the cast I did the play with years ago.
Then tomorrow I'll be out of town. Boo!
Thanks for all your enthusiasm about this and I promise I'll catch it in 2028 when it's back at the Redford:-)

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 902
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made it out to this Saturday night. It was our first time to the Redford Theatre, and the first time seeing "GWTW". Great experience, beautiful theatre. Thank you to anyone involved in keeping this type of thing alive.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a nice weekend of "GWTW" at the Redford!! As a longtime GWTW enthusiast, this weekend's showings enabled me to organize a couple of group gatherings. On Friday night, 8 of us enjoyed dinner and the movie. Then on Saturday, I hosted 16 people at my home to share my collection with them. Then we enjoyed dinner and the movie. Thanks to 56packman for arranging for the display of my Detroit GWTW Premiere memorabilia boards in the lobby. Nice to see Supersport and Melissa, Neilr, MsAmericana, and Toolbox and Meliss there.

Sorry to have missed you, Thnk@mch! I'm glad you enjoyed the Redford and hope you will come back soon for another movie!

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sorry I missed it! I spent the weekend in bed nursing a sinus infection. Bummer. I'm happy to hear that you had a good time, however! :-)

Kathleen

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry you couldn't make it, Tkierpiec! Hope you are feeling better soon!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.