Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » NW corner 6&Van Dyke « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the building at the NW corner of six and van dyke does anybody know what this building was and its history. Also what about the building at HArper and Gratiot the bigger one at the North East Corner of Harper and Gratiot. I cant believe how my dad tells me that his first wife lived at 6 and van dyke and they could spend nights on the porch and that it was a safe clean active neighborhood. It is amazing what can happen in 30 years!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread needs pictures.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This thread needs pictures."

Visualize an urban prairie. Much of Van Dyke is vacant land--at least 1/2 block either side of the street for much of it near there. The same can be said for Harper, except that region of Harper is even more desolate.

Cannot speak for its safety, but I wouldn't want to be there when dark...

There were formerly a bunch of store-front "churches" on Van Dyke and a few other mostly vacant establishments, some with roofs caved in.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3433
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a gas station on the NW corner, so I am guessing you are asking about the string of buildings to the west of that. I shot that site this summer and all I could see was the faded name "Woodall". Maybe someone can pick up from that cue.

woodall

full view along McNichols.
woodall

As LY notes the area to the south in particular is largely desolate urban prarie.

Here is the bird's eye view from Fresh Logic Atlas From all the junk car lots visible in that view, it wouldn't surprise me if there might be a little chop shop activity.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There might be something in this thread from earlier in the year. The place was Woodall Industries, I think they made autoparts.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/77729.html

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2927
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodall was an auto parts manufacturing firm.

Are you asking about the older wooden building on Van Dyke, just south of the railroad crossing?

Northeast corner of Harper and Gratiot is an old bank.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3434
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad you found that thread Hornwrecker; it had quality posts in it so I have moved it to the HOF and adjusted your link above accordingly.

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building on Six mile and Van Dyke is the old Woodall Industries. I believe they closed in the mid 70's.

I worked there in 1972 and they made primarily auto parts for Chrysler. The inner panels for doors, plastic heater parts and that sort of stuff.

One part in particular I remember that was made there was the covering for the rear windows on the Dodge Chargers. This link will show you what I mean.
http://www.americandreamcars.c om/1973charger033103.htm

fyi... On the southwest corner of that intersection was Ver Hoven Chevrolet.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I just realized the building I was thinking of is on the south east corner......what a dumb mistake does any one know what THAT building was?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SE is the Cemetery. NE was Ver Hoven
SW was a gas station NW was Ver Hoven OK used cars

added:
Opps!!!! never mind :-)

Should be
NE is the Cemetery, SE was Ver Hoven
SW was Verhoven OK Used Cars NW gas station

(Message edited by PSIP on December 16, 2006)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"SE is the Cemetery. NE was Ver Hoven "

Just whom did Ver Hoven sell those hearses to in Mount Olivet--a captive customer base? Maybe the cemetery and Ver Hoven each moved?

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on December 16, 2006)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 411
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

N
NWNE
GasCem
WE
UsedNew
SWSE
S

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2929
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since your directions are off, the building at the corner of Gratiot and Harper you asked about is probably the former YMCA, on the SE corner.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a tragic, horrible area to live in. You may think I'm exaggerating, but I gasped when I saw how sad the area looks when so many proud families probably lived there once. Still a couple of homes that look well maintained. Probably older people that own the home and just figure they will stay because it's the only home they know. I'm sorry, I'm not bashing, the pix just hit me as tremendously sad and I had to share my feelings.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.