Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Every major magazine has a Detroit office? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3762
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that probably 90% of all major magazines have a Detroit office. Turn to the corporate information page of every magazine (I think that’s what it is called). Why is this? I always assumed it was because of the auto industry and the placing of ads. Could I be wrong? Every magazine has a NY and LA office. Most have A Chicago office as well. Are these just sales offices?

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they're mostly ad sales offices. Most television networks have ad sales offices here too. Because of the automotive industry, there are a lot of ad agencies here.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 507
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet Hour Detroit's home base is in Royal Oak.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 547
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hour Detroit is not really a Detroit Centered Mag. Its all gloss and has ads from mostly suburban based stores. Its a boring trite piece of crap.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For reference: Hour Detroit

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine joked that Hour Detroit Magazine should be called:

An hour from Detroit Magazine

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1876
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost all of the ad offices are in OC (mainly Troy).

quote:

Hour Detroit is not really a Detroit Centered Mag. Its all gloss and has ads from mostly suburban based stores. Its a boring trite piece of crap.

The ads in Hour Detroit magazine cater to the demographics of its subscribers and the metro area's population is overwhelmingly suburban. Hence the subtitle: Metropolitan Detroit's Monthly Magazine.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-I have to agree about how awful "Hour" magazine is. I remember parsing through glossy piece of fish wrap while waiting for a examination that was not as painful as the magazine, and it was an annual "Best Of" issue, that should have been titled: "Our Annual Detroit Best Of issue...of companies that advertise with us". No Shit- do you know what their pick for best coffee shop was? Starbucks. That really took some real investigation and thought. The whole magazine seems to filled ads for plastic surgeons in Birmingham/Bloomfield offering specials on breast augmentation, in each ad is a photo of a sleazy looking doctor with an assistant with equally fake pouty lips.

I don't ever recall reading anything in that rag of value, which is a shame when one considers what fascinating stories, history, personalities and talent are in the metro area.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.