Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Racial Runaround « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Racial Runaround
December 15, 2006; Page W17
The Wall Street Journal, op-ed

On Nov. 7, voters in Michigan passed Proposition 2, which prohibits state and local government from discriminating against or giving preferential treatment to -- in the language of the ballot -- "groups or individuals based on their race, gender, ethnicity or national origin for public employment, education or contracting purposes."

The new law is supposed to take effect on Dec. 22. But it seems that affirmative action is not over yet. University of Michigan President Mary Sue Coleman apparently believes that the democratic process is valid only when the voters agree with her.

On Nov. 8, Ms. Coleman vowed that she would "immediately begin exploring legal action" against Prop 2. "I will not allow this university to go down the path of mediocrity" she told a cheering crowd. "Diversity makes us strong, and it's . . . too critical to simply abandon."

Since then, Ms. Coleman has backed off some of this fighting language, saying, for instance, that "we recognize the voters' decision." But her latest action suggests that she's sticking with her first sentiment. The University of Michigan (along with Michigan State and Wayne State universities) has gone to court to ask for a delay of Prop 2. The administrators of these schools are claiming that the admissions process for 2007-08 is so far along that it would be impossible to revamp it until at least next May. Meanwhile, Ms. Coleman's anti-Prop 2 allies, led by the radical group By Any Means Necessary, have filed a federal lawsuit seeking to overturn the measure.

Prop 2 was, in part, a reaction to the Supreme Court's 2003 decisions about a pair of Michigan cases. In Gratz v. Bollinger, the court struck down the University of Michigan's policy of awarding points for race in its undergraduate admissions. In Grutter v. Bollinger, however, the court gave a green light to efforts by Michigan's law school to favor certain applicants in order, then-Justice Sandra Day O'Connor opined, to achieve "diversity."

As we wrote at the time, "a cynic might conclude that the decisions mean universities can still discriminate as long as they're not too obvious about it." That is exactly what Wayne State is doing. Its new law school admission guidelines, unveiled last week, avoid mention of race and other preference criteria explicitly banned by Prop 2. Instead, applicants will be invited to describe their family's socio-economic status and educational history, past experiences of discrimination, any foreign languages spoken at home, etc.

Many of these categories sound familiar. Russia's Bolsheviks used similar questions to root out class enemies and to elevate those with authentic proletarian origins. Of course, Wayne State may do nothing more brutal to its qualified bourgeois applicants than deny some of them admission in favor of candidates deemed disadvantaged.

Whether the law school's new criteria are simply code for race-based and other discriminatory admissions policies may eventually be decided by a court. Yet right now, all eyes are on the cases already under way that seek to thwart implementation of Prop 2.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5285
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people of Michigan had spoken. Prop 2 Affrimative Action abolishment will commence on Dec. 22 and that's it. No other lawsuits will be carried under this new commandment.

SO BE A STOIC AND GET WITH YOUR LIVES. PLEASE!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BAMN did not lead the Proposal 2 opposition.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that article is garbage. the writer shows both ignorance about race in america and begins to red-bait as well.

Ribalda
Username: Ribalda

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it came down to everybody getting preferential treatment but the Honkeys. Now maybe the Honkeys will get a chance to get educated again. They were getting behind. And, there is nothing worse than an uneducated Honkey. Dig?

Ribalda

(Message edited by Ribalda on December 15, 2006)

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, honkey........now you are gonna have to apologize Ribalda on Dave Letterman, then make a fool outta yourself for Jesse and Al. shame , shame.......... Jane

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uncalled for Ribalda. No need to throw racial slurs around, you are really showing your need to be educated.

While I voted no on Prop 2 (I am a white guy, btw) I think the no on 2 people are acting like whiney children.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My question is will universities abolish the 'legacy' programs?
When a parent or grand parent has attended a specific university a student gets so many points added to their application process.

A family member of mine ran up against this on a number of college applications.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4900
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course they won't. Nor will the so-called MCRI, with real equality and equal access and opportunity be damned, I guess.

(Message edited by lmichigan on December 15, 2006)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

¬ another honkey who voted no on proposition 2. :-)

Progressing too slowly is no reason to go backward.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do wonder when somebody will sue a university of their legacy programs. I don't see how it could be considered constitutional.

At U of M, it was only worth 4 points when I went there (as opposed to the 20 for being a desirable minority), but still, 4 can make quite a difference.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am just glad that I go to a private school that can use whatever practices they would like. At least then my school will still be a diverse cross section of Michigan.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 376
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody ought to sue U. of M. over its practice of admitting - what - 35% of the student body from out-of-state. Each kid from NYC takes away a seat from a deserving Michigan high school student. I guess they feel some kid from NYC adds to their prized "diversity." Actually, it's probably a job for the legislature.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 867
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, they pay out of state tuition. $ speaks.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the obligation of the University to educate Michigan students. Of course I know it's the dollars that cause the problem. So, why not allow only 10% Mchigan residents at the in-state rate and charge everyone else, including in -state residents who can pay, the non-residents tuition? Michigan residents have built and support the University w/ their tax dollars. Non-resident tuition doesn't begin to cover the true cost of educating a non-resident student. We taxpayers are subsidizing non-resident students while large numbers of qualfied MI students are turned away.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4901
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're worried about out of state students of all of the issues surrounding this? Really?

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those smart kids from NYC are what keep The University of Michigan one of the top three public universities in the country.

As an alumni, I will continue to counteract Ms Coleman's attempts to circumvent the directive of a very significant majority of this state's populace.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Docmo, yew shore am ejumocated!

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 190
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathintheozarks,
It's the law. Yes, and my two degrees from The University of Michigan mean I have a pretty reasonable ejumocation.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tee hee :-)

Mgd04
Username: Mgd04

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, Michigan State doesn't use affirmative action in admission and they have publicly said so in many instances. However, they have asked for a stay to evaluate all the university programs and make sure they comply with the law (black student groups, residence hall associations, scholarships etc.)

Ribalda

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janesback & Gumby-

I was around when affirmative action was voted in....and it was a good thing. Now, thirty some odd years later, the scales are tipping. I was being sarcastic, but believe me, not too far off. I voted "Yes" on Proposition 2. And, by the way, I am an uneducated white person. But, this doesn't make me stupid or any less perceptive. I view politics as bull____ and intellectuals as confused. I was raised in Detroit, but wouldn't live there, even though I love it and always will. Drive around and take a look at the city. I was appalled the last time that I did; empty houses and over-grown fields....stop lights that don't work. Where is the money? Where is the money from the policemen's pension fund? Come on. Let's get real. The last time that I spent more than two hours in Detroit, I was raped. I have an attitude. And, I'll go head to head with Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. All I need is a vocabulary building course, and to brush-up in English I....well, and to study some more history as well, I admit.

Ribalda

(Message edited by Ribalda on December 16, 2006)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 408
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I do wonder when somebody will sue a university of their legacy programs. I don't see how it could be considered constitutional."

Don't know, but I assure you the people behind Prop 2 didn't sit around wondering when someone would sue over race-based admissions programs...they took the initiative and did it themselves and got the USSC to clarify some things, then got the issue placed on the ballot to let the voters decide...

I often hear people whining about legacy programs, but I have yet to see anyone take any action to have them eliminated.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, I'll go head to head with Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. All I need is a vocabulary building course, and to brush-up in English I....well

LOL, Ribalda, thats the last thing you need to do when it comes to talking to Jesse or Al. I have yet to hear Jesse complete a sentence, and if you did perfect your English skills, you'd be way over Als' head. i honestly think Jesse is a poster child for "how not to speak in the company of others". You have nothing to prove when it comes to them..........

Take care, and happy holidays, Ribaldi........Jane

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 381
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan: Yes. Yes.

Ribalda

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane-

Well, now, see....here I was paranoid for being uneducated. Us Philistines need all of the back-patting props we can get. Happy Holidays to you as well.

Ribalda

(Message edited by Ribalda on December 16, 2006)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 267
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd world city said:

"Somebody ought to sue U. of M. over its practice of admitting - what - 35% of the student body from out-of-state. Each kid from NYC takes away a seat from a deserving Michigan high school student. I guess they feel some kid from NYC adds to their prized "diversity." Actually, it's probably a job for the legislature."

uh.... do you have ANY idea what out of state kids pay for school at u-m? i believe they fully pay for themselves... and believe me... they are what make it a school of such high caliber... many of the the out of staters (mainly, it would seem to me from New York, Illionois, Ohio, California, and a damn long list of other countries) made choices such as "hmmm... Yale, NYU, U-M, UCLA, or Stanford" - eliminate out of staters and U-M would NEVER again be spoken in the same breath again....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.