Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Dossin Museum to close for renovation « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11023
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great to see yet another Belle Isle gem getting the attention it deserves!

quote:

The Dossin Great Lakes Museum, on Belle Isle, will close for a makeover after Dec. 30 and is scheduled to reopen March 24, Detroit Historical Society executive director Bob Bury said today (Thursday).

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20061214/NEWS99/ 61214032

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 976
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see the attractions on Island is getting some much needed attention.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 432
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Belle Isle last weekend, and stopped by the flower house for the first time since it reopened. It is still just as beautiful as ever, only now it no longer has broken windows.

I have to agree that its good news to see the attractions on the island restored. First the nature center(zoo), then the conservatory, now Dossins. Could the aquarium be next? Probably just a pipe dream at this point.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Poinsetta Soiree at the conservatory Sunday night. The old heating system was 100 years old and the new system looked awesome. We actually had heat in the lobby. Imagine that! So happy to hear that the Dossin is being renovated and not closed. Things may be looking up for the island.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For as many years as I can remember, the Dossin Museum was given an area in Cobo Hall by the Boat Dealers during the annual Boat Show to put up a display table and pass out brochures and applications to join the GLMI and to support the museum generally. It was entirely manned by Museum and Institute volunteers, and I know that I was there on the first Monday evening of the show for a good 25 years.
With the closing of the Museum for a few months and the some-what "forced retirement" of the former curator, I will be curious to see if there is a booth this year at the show. If not, it ends a very nice run, but, hopefully, might start up again in 2008.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news for the Dossin, went there on many a field trip in elementary school. Belle Isle is a great park, but needs attractions like the Dossin to round it out as a place to go.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.