Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Chauncey Hurlbut Memorial Gate « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today I noticed scaffolding being erected all around the Chauncey Hurlbut Memorial Gate at Waterworks Park. Does anybody know if this signals a major restoration of the monument?

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/64664.html?11407568 93

Scroll down for pictures posted by Hornwrecker and Psip.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it will be restored.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, the statue is coming back?

Fury13

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear that the location of the Hurlbut bust (not a statue) is "known" and that it will be returned when the gate itself is restored.

Money has finally been allocated for the project.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the location is known, then why is it always refered to as stolen? Was it recovered a long time ago and does only the thief "know" of its location?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3247
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a pity that the gate is, and probably will remain so inaccessible. It has a poor location. Maybe before they widened Jefferson it was better situated.

I've always felt (as mentioned in the other thread) that it should be relocated to a better site. One that gives it a visually appealing approach and vista.

Whizzing by on Jefferson getting a quick glimpse of the (much less fancy) back side of it does not make for a nicely situated monument. Especially one with such appealing Beaux Arts style.

Fury13

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if the public will have access to the gate when it's restored. Probably not, though, considering that access to the gate could compromise the security at Water Works Park.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's really cool it's being fixed up.

I also think the idea of a water works park is cool too, it's too bad it's so utilitarian and unaccessable now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.