Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Peope Mover-free rides cost money « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a little late asking this question...For the first several weeks of the Red Wings season, I attended on average one game per week. I never park at JLA. Instead we have dinner then ride the People Mover to the Joe. The PM station at JLA is under construction. When it is time to leave, entering the station is through the exit turnstiles. The turnstiles have a sign "FREE" taped to them. There are hundreds, possibly thousands, of people getting on the PM for free at JLA. I don't mind getting something for free, but fifty cents is no big deal to most of us. But add up all those fares per night by the number of games so far this year and it is a considerable loss of revenue for the city. Wouldn't it have been feasible to move the entrance turnstiles temporarily to the exits? Or place a PM staffer there to collect the money or tokens? I haven't been to a game in 2-3 weeks, so I don't know if this is still happening.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm, on average 10,000 ppl ride the DPM on Wings game nights. Now, that includes the normal ridership of about 6,000. So, about 4 or 5 thousand are likely riding to and from the Joe. If they pay on the way there, but not after the game, then about 2000 free rides are being given, costing the city $1,000 each time...

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps Olympia Entertainment is reimbursing the city for the lost revenue? Just a shot in the dark...

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a possibility Yaktown, but I doubt it.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2374
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were back to charging a fare at the Joe as of last weekend.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 695
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, since the trains are running regardless of whether anyone pays or not, while it is lost revenue, it is not additional cost. For this reason, waiving the $0.50 fare (for whatever reason it was done), isn't as big a deal as say, a cab driver waiving his fare.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2100
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Consider too the even bigger congestion at the turnstyles that would be created by forcing everyone to pay the $.50. (will they ever add the cent icon to the keyboard or will it be lost to "progress"? I digress...)

It's far more effective to just waive the $.50 than have a huge mob of tanked up, aggressive people crushing through the turnstyles. Think if it as a marketing expense (hoping that they'll take the PM when there isn't a Wing's game) rather than a give away.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 866
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were free while the ramp was under construction. Supposedly as a thanks for putting up with the inconvenience, but probably also to avoid backups.

Besides, you paid 50 cents to get there in the first place, so they didnt lose out totally.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.