Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Lafayette Park photo spread « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7545
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got this photo gallery forwarded to me from the LP50 group...the folks celebrating the fiftieth year anniversary of the Lafayette Park development.

Beautiful work from yet another digital camera artist...never knew there were so many tulips around the park.

Must be that Dutch Dave fellow running around...sewing his wild seed.

Enjoy.

Gannon

Post Number: 7546
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, this is courtesy of Johnny Jenkins, the artist who framed the shots and pressed the magic button.

Used with permission.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gannon

Nice shots.

Btw we don't usually have a waterfall unless the water main breaks.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4597
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gannon. jjaba exspecially loves the flowering fruit trees like plum, apricot, and cherry.

jjaba, on the Westside.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No people walking around. On purpose? Very nice pics.

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow,
awesome pics and thanks.Almost driven to tears...
as I sit and look 2000 miles away recalling all the memories.5,10,15, 20 no...22 years ago...damn...while stumbling into this hidden oasis I had never seen before......... on A Springtime Saturday afternoon with everything blooming to go on a first date with a girl I just recently met....Wow..and she is still to this day my better half even though I gain some ground on her every 5 years or so.
Cheers

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My professor lives in one of the Lafayette Park townhouses and she is throwing an end-of-the-semester party for us at her place. I'm very excited to go, being that I've never seen the insides of any of the townhouses before.

Gannon

Post Number: 7578
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schoolcraft!

Great story...thanks. (welcome)

I certainly will be adding the Park area to my running routes in the springtime...stunning beauty only a half-mile away that I truly know nothing about directly...

Gianni,

Heh, we'll have to find out about that waterfall pic, then!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got word that they are finally going to wash windows here at Lafayette Towers. I've been here 4 months and had the same annoying bird crap on my window the entire time. It's frustrating to see 1300 getting their windows done every 2 weeks.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photo essay makes me day dream about moving to Lafayette Park. I have always been interested in seeing the inside of the Albert Kahn town homes.

How would one find out about availability of these properties?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dhugger, they were designed by Mies van der Rohe. Vasileff Reality (259-3131) handles most; but not all, of the sales.

As a part of our celebrating our 50th Anniversary as a neighborhood, we have put on a number of tours this past year. I expect that there will be more in the Springtime.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any pictures of the townhomes online? I would love to take a look at them.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe you can find pics of the townhouses on Detroit Urban Living also on Vasileffs website.

Would have liked to see pics of the building I live in on there !!! Leland Lofts are an old school converted into loft spaces.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Lafayette Park townhome is for sale.....someone buy it please! Very reasonably priced at $115,000. I feel it is the nicest neighborhood in the downtown area. I love it there!

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blondy,
Please email me at bchamburger@aol.com with more info on your townhome. I currently am next door at The Pavilion but am looking to purchase something in the near future.

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gannon!
One other great memory I have from Lafayette Park and the mid-80s (Hoping I wasnt too sappy with my previous post)is sitting in future wifes families townhome at the time just hanging with her family...And hearing a piano being played right next door thru the walls..(the co-ops walls are connected)banging out a motown song...recalling I said something like"That sounds great" That song is" I heard it thru the Grapevine"(catchy little tune you all may have heard of)Someone in the room joked "Yeah, you heard it thru the grapevine"and now even "heard it thru ourliving room walls as well".."I laughed, then was properly schooled as to who this was actually playing this song..."He probably wrote it and 1 or 3 others you may have heard before" they said. I was by this time completely freaked out in a great way" This was Earl Van Dyke, Motown legend just jammin on his piano... Link to his bio http://www.answers.com/topic/e arl-van-dyke
Legend and longtime Lafayette Park resident.
May God rest his soul.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana Ross (1300), Stevie Wonder (Parc Lafayette), Barry Gordy, Sarkis Sarkasian, Jackie Feigenson, Sonny Eliot, and George Perriot are among the Detroit cultural legends whose former homes I point out on the neighborhood tours.

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neil Thanks and you must tell me more how I can book one of your tours next time I am in the city. They sound great!

Gianni

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another great thing about the neighborhood is Chrysler Elementary, one of the best if not the best elementary school in DPS. I know, I have two kids there, one who has gone K through 5 and is now about to "graduate."

Here's perhaps the best part: School starts at 8:15; we leave the house at 8:15 and make it on time; we walk; and we never have to cross the street.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gianni, I met a couple of teachers from there recently. They both seemed about as interested in their students as any public school teachers I've met- regardless of level.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blondy - couple questions about the association fees (if you can answer here):

1 - How much of it goes to the principle/interest of the original mortgage?
2 - How long until that's paid off?

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump...

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 983
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a great question spidergirl; i've never thought about it.

mrs. rsa and i are looking and are investigating the area. i can tell you that the association fee includes garbage service, security (patrols), snow removal, landscaping, maintenance, major repairs, and taxes.

the fees range between around $675 - $725 and i've seen them as high as $1,085 for a fully renovated, 4 bedroom, courtyard unit. given all this information, i would assume that it is a longer master mortgage and is a minor part of the fee. but that's just an assumption.

we live in that area right now (renting) and love it. it truly is a hidden gem of the d.

Gannon

Post Number: 7624
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There MUST be a higher association fee for those units that dug the geo-thermal well...

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 984
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not to my understanding gannon; i believe the owners that installed those paid for the it themselves. therefore, they are reaping the lower utility cost. plus, it adds more equity into their own unit.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 - How much of it goes to the principle/interest of the original mortgage? - I have no clue, sorry.
2 - How long until that's paid off? - Again, no idea.

Gannon

Post Number: 7639
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa,

I'd like to investigate that system.

They could do it relatively cheap, because the units were plumbed for steam heat from a common boiler anyways, right?!

It could work for some of the high-rises on the old community steam system here! Wouldn't it be cool if more projects like the Vinton were eco-friendly?!

I remember one story about a Catholic nun retirement rectory down in Monroe that went wild green...that is the only way to insure against slavery to the utility companies.

Gannon

Post Number: 7640
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, finding the well diggers eager to work in the city might be tough. Heh.

You'd never need to buy road salt again.

Gianni

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the master mortgage issue: it depends on the coop. There are actually four separately incorporated coops, Lafayette, Nicolet, Joliet and Lasalle. Lafayette is the northernmost and was built first, the others, going south, were built later with Lasalle last, finished I think around 1959-60. Each has its own Board of Directors and is separately run, and each Board decides how much to spend on improvements, whether to pay off the mortgage or refinance, etc.

Originally they all had HUD mortgages. Lasalle paid its HUD 40 year mortgage off several years ago. But that doesn't necessarily mean the assessment goes down, because new capital expenses (like the geothermal heating at Lafayette) or new windows, new furnaces, new brick walls are usually financed with another mortgage.

At Lasalle, I don't know the exact figures, but our last loan which was not that large is almost paid off, so I'm thinking less than $100 of the assessment is for the mortgage and only the interest part of that is deductible.

The other coops are different. I don't know the details but I think Lafayette probably has the biggest loan (and the biggest assessment) because they did a lot of work in the last few years. Geothermal plus replacing all the window walls (not just the glass but the whole curtain wall frame).

Probably about one third of the assessment is taxes. In a coop you don't pay property taxes individually, it's paid by the coop and passed through. The rest goes for security, insurance, grounds maintenance, water, garbage removal, landscaping, snow removal, and general maintenance for everything from the furnace to a leaky sink.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr thanks for the correction regarding Mies van der Rohe design.

Blondy do you have your town home listed in the classified here & on Craigslist? I surf both of these sites regularly. Pictures inside & out might be helpful attracting buyers.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.