Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Do demolished homes have basement walls taken out too? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After viewing many aerial photos of the vacant land in Detroit, it appears that no footprint of the house/building is left at all. The basement is filled in after a home is demo'd but is the basement walls taken out too?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 982
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is an interesting question. I have no idea.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4879
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes they are, and sometimes they aren't. I'm not sure if there is are any laws, and if not, city ordinances out there that address this.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, they do now, for a while there they did not. then they realized it was an impeadance for redevelopment.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Ordinance requires walls be removed, but sometimes they're not, if the demolitioon contractor can get away with it.

The logic behind removing basement walls is that it leaves a site ready for new construction.

Bob Cosgrove

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 801
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember some early wholesale house demolition in the D (mid-late 80's) where the "contractor"
(two guys and a pick up truck with a trailer to haul away the debris) left the basement. This is normally considered bad, as water cannot escape the basement-remains as it normally seeped back into the ground with no basement present. It can become downright dangerous, as the area inside the basement perimeter can become a mud pit, rather than having the normal ground moisture like the land around the basement.
One notable large building demolition that left the basement (it's still there) was the Hollywood theatre, Fort st. & Ferdinand.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 801
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudson's basement walls are still there, but they are incorporated into the parking structure and certainly can handle the (much smaller than the store) load of any new building that's built.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's always wise to pay for a ground-penetrating radar scan and soil core samples when beginning to develop a vacant lot - you never know what might be buried there.

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hollywood Theaters basement is still there? Do you have any pics?

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3038
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah here is one:

Here is another from the opposite view:

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pictures don't appear to have come through. Can anyone else see them?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 505
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic,
The basement light has burned out.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3361
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty dark down there Rustic eh?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3420
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ Rustic!

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3043
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey I'm no mauser or krawlspace, but I do get around a bit ...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 976
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Place the bait, set the hook........

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2861
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have pics of the Hollywood basement too, but they are even darker.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandma was telling me about some houses that they tore down on the northbound Southfield Service dr and Paul. They were right behind here house on Archdale. She told me that when they tore them down, they just filled the basements in with dirt. They even left the contents of at least one of them, including a grand piano! All this made way for a small park that doesn't even exist anymore...now its just an empty field that ppl like to dump couches and tires in.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.