Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Book tower « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The book tower is a building on washington BLVD that I had never really taken much of a look at but it is really a great example of the architecture of the times. You always here of the other famous buildings in the city but never being in it before today for an interview it really did impress me. Just wondering architect and the history behind it?

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some related links. I just did a Google search of "Book Tower Detroit" and "Book Building Detroit".

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/b u/?id=booktower-detroit-mi-usa

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=4346

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The architect was Louis Kamper, who also designed many other Detroit skyscrapers including the Book-Cadillac and the David Broderick (Eaton) Tower. It was completed in 1926 and was Detroit's tallest building until the completion of the Penobscot in 1928. It is an extension to the original Book Building (1916). The property was developed by the Book Brothers. It was originally slated to be 81 stories, passing up the Ren Cen by 8 stories, but the Great Depression cancelled those plans.

Pagesix1536
Username: Pagesix1536

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://team-miller.org/tmc/ima ges/81book.jpg

The Fisher Building had the same thing happen. It was supposed to be 3 towers (instead of the one we have today).

http://team-miller.org/tmc/tfi sher13.gif

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mcwalbucksnfitch,

The Great Depression began in 1929 and the Book Tower completion was 1926. Any other reason for the scaling back of the plans for 81 stories?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It actually was the second tower on the opposite end that was never built due to the Depression.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 661
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Book Tower is my favorite skyscraper...because it caught my attention before I knew anything about Detroit architecture. I think it caught my attention because it is so different from other buildings of its time. Louis Kamper put on a lot of exterior decoration that was uncommon at the time. It reminded me of gothic cathedrals of times much longer ago than 1926. W. Hawkins Ferry said that.... Louis Kamper obviously did not know how to build a skyscraper because Kamper didn't realize that the beauty of a skyscraper comes in its use of straight lines and lack of ornamentation...
Also, next time you're there try to sneak to the third floor and see the Tiffany Dome that used to be the top of the three story atrium, but that is now covered with soot on the abandoned third floor. It's my favorite stop of all my tours.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie,

Do you have any pictures of that dome? I would be interested to take a look.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 303
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To clarify, the Book Building is in the middle of the block. Then the Tower was added on, building on the north lot of the block. The southern lot on the block was the site for the 81 story one. It currently has a one or two story building.

Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it's Doctor Golden's dental or something. Sorry for the confusion about the depression, I read somewhere that the actual Book Tower that we have today was scaled back in its plans.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 380
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a great building, no question. I have to say though, it is kind of an eyesore in downtown. Dark stains on the building and those tacky satellites on top. Hallow and empty it really reminds me of what has happened Detroit whenever I see it. It's just kind of scary and forbidding for an out of town tourist. Otherwise, its a great building and would make great condos or offices.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The satellite dishes and most antennas were removed earlier this year.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I didn't notice the changes last time I was in town. That's a positive development, unless its some sort of preperation for demolition.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think demolitions in the forecast I was in offices on the 13th floor today. There are also a few businesses in thee which I had never noticed before.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I believe it was just purchased by a group in New York. Not sure what their plans are, but anything is better than the previous owner did with it.

Cman710

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What percentage of the building is vacant?

Jasoncw

Post Number: 304
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's some kind of company from New York (developement, or construction, or architecture, or something along those lines, if I recall right). They plan on moving their HQ there, doing some condos, and the office space they won't take up will still be there.

They'll presumably clean the building too.

I think it's really cool, but the announcement was really low radar and I don't think we've heard anything about it since. I hope it really happens.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman...I don't have photos of the dome right now but I will try to get some.
The building is not abandoned. It is mostly independent offices, however. I would approximate that it was 60% empty...but a new owner has just acquired it so who knows what the future holds.
Also, Detroitstar, the previous owner was actually pretty good. She refurbished the first two floors including bringing Bookies into the building. She also began to clean the exterior. She would have done more but did not have the money. In terms of downtown building owners though...she cared about the building more than most and did what she could for it...which included selling it to someone with more money to help bring the building back to its glory.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah I remember a blog not to long ago but cant find it anywhere

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the building is being done by Kraemer and is owned by New York development firm who will move their headquarters there

it is under the "on the boards" section of Kraemer Design Group's website (http://www.thekraemeredge.com)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4882
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the future of the building, J.C. Beal, the reconstruction contractors for the building seems to have updated their site in the past few months for this building.

http://www.jcbeal.com/project- book.asp

Apparently, redevelopment efforts are to begin next year, and will be completed by 2009 if they do begin next year. It seems the Pagan Organization must have a subsidiary, because they say the owners are North East Commercial Services, LLC.

Cman710

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie,
Thanks. If you could find any pictures or take any, that would be great. Since I don't live in Detroit and my next trip won't be for some time (and besides, I may not be able to go and see it given that it's sealed off), I would love the chance to see what it looks like.

Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a side note - I saw earlier mentioned that the previous owner, Susan Lambrecht started to clean the exterior.

If you hadn't noticed already, take a look the next time you're downtown. The [Book] building has it's Washington Facade clean about half of the way and then it stops.

Book Tower

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd never noticed they removed the satellite dishes. awesome! exterior lighting? great! condos? wonderful!

if they can just convert the majority of these into residences, once business returns to downtown we'll have to see new construction... which makes me a very happy boy.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 359
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess my issue with Susan was what seemed to be a lack of interest in attracting new tenants. My company was considering a move to Book Tower. We were looking for ~4,000sf, and it took 6 weeks to actually be invited to see the place.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where did you guys end up? somewhere else in downtown?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're about to sign with Fort Washington Plaza

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Architect Charles Agree had his office on the 11th Floor from the late 20's until the early 50's.
Here is an ad from the Detroit News eluding to their tenant - July 1930.
Book

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to the Book Tower condos, Esquire Properties has told me that they plan to handle the sales and marketing of those units. They said that the Book Tower condos will be just a step down from the Book-Cadillac residences in a variety of ways:
-Smaller: Square footage in the 900-1200 range, vs. the B-C's 950-1600
-Cheaper: Starting right around or just above $200k, vs. B-C's $280k-$450k + penthouses.
-Less Upscale: Not quite the same level of lavish interiors as the Book-Cadillac, and of course not nearly the option of facilities/amenities that goes along with the B-C Westin hotel.

I like the idea of variety of living options on Washington Blvd in close proximity to the Book-Cadillac. Just as automakers offer entry level cars, mid-priced cars, and luxury cars, offering condos at different price points and finish levels only expands the number of people who can and will consider buying a place in the CBD. Sometimes I get a bit skeptical seeing nearly every single developer looking to build "downtown's most luxurious residence destination". There aren't many mid-priced non-loft options being discussed for developement.

Again - how many ultra-upscale condos has 1001 Woodward sold (or even built) yet?!?

Pagesix1536
Username: Pagesix1536

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some photos I took of the place back in 1999. I know they've done a lot of work on the lobby as far as restoring some of the plaster work, but sounds like they haven't done anything with the 3rd floor yet (the dome)...so my photos may still be accurate for that floor. There's at least two shots in there of the dome, and some descriptions of what all this looked like back around 1999 time frame. Have a look:

http://www.team-miller.org/tmc /book_building.htm

(Message edited by pagesix1536 on December 13, 2006)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the pic that Mcwalbucksnfitch posted, notice the vertical "seam" on the Book Bldg. That shows where an addition (six windows long) was built sometime after the original structure's completion. Then, the Book Tower was built.

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a tenant in the Book Tower. I have a corner office with a really nice view.

I have been here since 2002 and it's great. Also, I give tours and have shown the Book Bldg and Book Tower to lots of people.

The dome on the 3rd floor is a large oval stained glass dome. Very restorable. A few pieces of the stained glass are missing, and there are some wires hanging down from it (b/c at one time there was a suspended ceiling that covered up the dome). There is a tarp over it, so you can't get a photo with the sun shining through it.

The lobby of the Book Building and Book Tower is very nice (esp. the great ceilings, chandeliers and elevator doors).

Originally, when you entered the Book Building, it was an atrium and you saw all the way up to the 3rd floor dome. I think it was the 1950s when that was changed, and they got rid of the atrium by extending the 2nd and 3rd floors.

We have Bookie's and Zef's Coney over here. Zef's has very tasty and affordable breakfasts and lunches.

Cman710

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the information, everyone!

Bobzilla, if I am ever in Detroit, would you mind showing me around the building? I am not sure when I will get a chance to take a trip again, but I would love to see the building when I do come!

Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend and I tried once to take interior photos, but we were stopped by security. I suspect sometime in the future we will go take a look around (save the cameras).

I had no idea that the interior beyond the first floor was in that sort of blight condition. Hopefully since those photos were shot, improvements have been made to those floors that looked like they belonged in the Statler.

Last year I did a conceptual project for a large scale complex that would pass up the Book Tower by over 20 stories and encompass the Statler and Trolley Plaza blocks, as well as the Public Works block. I had to use shots I took from the Kales building to show the views from the towers. It would have been great to have some shots from the Book Tower instead, given that it would've been right next door.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they going to get rid of the fire escape?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think they can get rid of it. I believe the fire code still requires two stairwells.

In my opinion the fire escape is part of the character of the building.

Jasoncw

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're spending 2 years doing the renovations, so I'm guessing that they're doing some real work to the building. I'm guessing that they'll be removing the fire-escape.

Jasoncw

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate it when they use out of date photos. The picture on the JCBeal site is from before Washington's redo.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 362
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The floors are small as it is, and adding a 2nd internal stairwell would surely take away a good deal of space.

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on December 13, 2006)

Cman710

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the fire escape the scaffold like thing on the outside of the building? Originally, I thought that was construction scaffolding!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3228
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is ironic about that outdoor stairwell is that it is right next to the interior stairwell. So the outdoor exit door is about 5 feet from the interior stairwell door (as shown in the tower floor plan of an earlier thread).

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4884
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is that ironic?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3231
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is a fire that starts in that hallway, you can kiss your ass goodbye since both doors are right next to each other.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4886
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see. Still, in a tower that thin, if a fire starts anywhere within the tower you'd have a very hard time getting out at the floors above the fire save for the elevators.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had not discovered this thread or I'd have posted my question from "Through The Ages, 1926" here. Anyway, please check out that thread.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9038
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump for Carptrash!

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another interesting bit of trivia: The Book Tower has the tallest fire escape of any building in the United States. Well, as far as we can tell, anyway... no one could come up with a counterexample when we discussed it in this thread. It's not the tallest fire escape in the world, though.

(Using the typical definition of "fire escape" -- an escape external to the building structure.)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time I see the Book Tower and the fire escape I think that I would kill to walk out on it! It would be so scary! Totally cool and a bit surreal looking. Very dramatic.
I don't live in Detroit anymore, so I'm relying on you folks to make sure no one takes the awesome fire escape off of the building!

Milwaukee

Post Number: 388
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may be a cool thing, but the fire escape has to go. I love old buildings, but that fire escape looks so bad on that great old tower. Put the fire escape out side the art museum or stand it up in a roundabout and make it public art. Put it up near the new riverwalk and make it into an observation tower. But for the love of God, just get it off of that great old building.

Don't get me wrong though, I like the fire escape. Just not on that building.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I know what you mean, Milwaukee, but it's just so absurd and outdated and wierd and it's ORIGINAL, right? Ok, so I can't count on you to be on the "Save the Fire Escape" committee. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks it's cool on the Book!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4906
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fire escape fits the already awkward Book Tower perfectly.

(Message edited by lmichigan on December 17, 2006)

Milwaukee

Post Number: 389
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No question its really cool. The more I think about it and look at pictures of the Book, the more I like it. Give me some time and you'll probably see me on the save the fire escape committee. Just want the building to look clean.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look how open your heart is, Milwaukee!
You are a good example to so many others on this site that wouldn't admit to being able to change their minds if they were on fire! And yeah, The Book looking clean would be a joy!
Well, rock on and have a great Sunday.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.