Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » If I Were The General Manager of WDET (the game) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7508
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK kiddies, let's play a game.

I'll start.

If I were GM of WDET, I'd...

...start my first meeting by saying the ONLY way to make incomparable radio is to stop comparing ourselves to anyone else. The ears on the other end of the broadcast are attached to the most important people in the world...their opinion is the ONLY thing that counts, especially if they are ponying up the cash to pay our bills. We would pledge to never be beholden to any corporation, and build from day ONE to be completely autonomous from the university at the earliest possible date.

...rehire John Penney for weekday and Sunday afternoons, at least part time. He can pre-record the whole damn show, if he needs to...or we'd find a way for him to do it from home. Anything to get his cheery attitude spinning discs again over the airwaves. I'm not sure there is any way I would take a NO from this guy...he is as much a franchise as Celeste.

(as an aside, we'd find more ways for Celeste to honor her gifts and dedicated training...even to the point of subsidizing her Opera and other 'after hours' endeavors, since each and every one of them is fodder for her Sunday show! Might as well let this over-achiever blossom even MORE!)

For recurring revenue, we'd have the shows available with the date and time replaced with a running count from zero instead so they could be used as background music for long-distance runners, or anyone who uses an exercise machine for any duration of time. He always had the right beat to jog with, and that gift should be shared...I'm sure this would work with the other music shows, too.

...make the underwriter's first priority to gather and collect a database of friendly live music venues in the city that would pledge tickets for access to live music...at least for a select number of WDET employees for each show. No way our djs should get in trouble for attending these shows for free...since it is simply a part of their job. IF the station has to take the tickets as donation, then parcel them off to the staff with accounting for potential income purposes at the reduced donation rate (not face value)...then so be it. This might keep certain ego-filled djs from demanding all the best concerts and then not using the tickets because they have no 'worth' to them.

This way, the station would always have representation at a live music concert for a report back to the music director with leads on hot new local talent that could perhaps be highlighted on some weekly pedestal show that could lead to regular play on some of the other shows on-air and for download.

There would be some incentive for any and all leads for up-and-coming talent, the more obscure and unique, the better. For instance, I caught the amazing Sista Otis at Xhedo's Coffeehouse up in Ferndale...and while she needs to gypsy around the country to feed her soul, if would be great to insure a landing place here when the spirit moves her back north. (I didn't discover her, and am amazed at how many have already seen her perform!)

...tell Ed Love that while we LOVE his historic stories...we need a little fresh spice in his show. If he wanted to yield an hour to his protege...or a few proteges...then they could be the ones showcasing some of the scarily amazing talent arriving at Bert's Marketplace and other jazz venues, especially on open-mic nights. All the better if he were on-air to guide them and put what they bring into context. So many of these kids know and respect the musical history they are entering, and like Hollywood's finest meld select pieces of history into their current creations. (Marcus Belgrave and those like him are STILL doing a stellar job bringing these folks up and into the mix)

Again, jazz is NOT just one time, one venue. It is a full range of sound within one great vibe, if you can hang...you can sit in. If it's not your beat, your harmonics, your particular sound...wait a minute, and take your chance when it arrives. If you ain't making noise, we hope you enjoy the show...if you don't, try again next time. Nobody minds if and when you walk away, as long as you come back again!

...Give the newsroom some incentive for NEW news. When they break and follow a significant story...they get a bonus. Double if it makes the local rags and corporate EM radiators look really bad. I'd hire Jelk back, because while Noah sounds good on air and I've liked a few of his stories...I think Quinn needs some tougher intellectual company in the newsroom. Quinn gets his own cone of silence that would double as a smoke vacuum, too, he spends entirely too much time walking outside to smoke.

...Everything after NOON would be (mostly local) music, excepting All Things Considered. The BBC stuff would be from the late end of the news until then. The call-in show would be on the website ONLY...but still available, IF we could do it that way. TOO much excruciatingly dead time when that show is bad, too much potential to send someone flying across the dial to another station.

Given the choice to digitally compress/destroy a voice program or a music program...and the notion that most who WANT to listen to that BBC call-in and participate probably have computer access, where the music listeners do NOT...it is a no-brainer which gets broadcast and which would be relegated to the webcast.

...Liz would have to wear her tiara more often, most people don't recognize royalty without it. We would find a way for her and the other fine air-talent to receive revenue when their shows were downloaded...perhaps the pledges from overseas and outstate donors that come to the site for her stuff could have a percentage taken out directly as a 'tip' or bonus for the talented talent. We've got to give credit where it is due, and Liz built up a following in Europe through the webcast that is amazing...from what I've heard.

...the comment lines would be tallied by someone unbiased about the results...and management would be forced to consider it often, at least monthly...well before the Arbitrons.

...the Arbitrons would never be able to dictate behavior, only confirm when choices are correct. They are a speedometer or progressometer, not a trip computer.

...more recurring revenue items on the website...any additional income stream would be considered, to ease the burden off the listenership.

Gannon

Post Number: 7516
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and Superaygun would have a permanent position on staff, as Music Director or Deputy MD.

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm confused, are you the GM of the WDET in Detroit, Michigan or of a like station on some other planet.....oh, brother this is rich! Well, you'll have an opportunity to apply for the job, so I hope you'll have you're chance!

Gannon

Post Number: 7518
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a western capitalist perspective, I am not consistent enough to manage myself, let alone an entire entity.

If ANYTHING, I would volunteer to be on a newly-formed Board of Philosophers that would advise the Board of Governors, or whomever makes the final decisions regarding the station.

In my estimation, all corporate Boards of Directors should have a group of philosophers (decidedly NON-capitalist free-thinkers who could see the non-directly-economic value in a person, thing, or concept) as advisors and possibly even co-deciders in an entity's direction...like our government's House of Reps and Senate.

I am an idea hampster...from my perceptions, I notice trends and behavior...I am merely playing this game to garner ideas from the general population, at least through the filter of Lowell's site, that could and would help improve the station for the broadest cross-section of listeners.

I believe if a real GM were to make this appeal, they would be considered weak by their peers. I don't know of an instance where anyone in a corporate position directly appealed to the public through a website for ideas.

It is just a game...hopefully one that might be of some use to whomever gets blessed to fill Coleman's old seat...they really cannot afford to leave it vacant for long.

(Message edited by Gannon on December 12, 2006)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4104
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you applying Gannon? After the last guy, the bar is low. I mean you couldn't screw up and you certainly have the passion. :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 7524
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Irving Reid has my e-mail address from earlier this afternoon...cell phone number, too.

I've gone corporate before for a much lesser cause...it crushes my spirit, but I could suffer that for the station for a defined duration.

The commute would be great.

I'd do what I could to convince Allen Mazurek that he needed to lead...I guess as his boss I could put it in his job description.

Dammit, then y'all would say hiring Superaygun and my cousin from Toledo (who interned a year or so before YOU, Jelk) was some form of nepotism.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 526
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd hire drew and mike to do evening drive time

Howard Stern to fill the morning slot

Electrifying Mojo to instill hope.

And I would sell advertising, stop the pledge drives already!

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4105
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Public radio stations can't sell advertising, underwriting yes but advertising no. Pledge drives are a reality of of public media.

Gannon

Post Number: 7525
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner,

You have declared yourself, through that post, to be the exact opposite of a public radio devotee.

You are the enemy of all that is good and just in radio!

But you played the game...that's all that matters to me right now in this thread!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 798
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, you could put Martin Bandyke back on, so we can hear Los Lobos and the same 12 cuts from the same 4 new CD's endlessly, just like commercial radio.

But it's different, because commercial radio won't play these artists. Endlessly, over and over again.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 666
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hire Ann Delisi (sp)

Allow no NPR

Play only music, unusual yet compelling music

Occasionally hold parties

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 855
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Promote Craig and Marty from DRIS to the non subcarrier.

Volunteer radio, just like it was when Radios in Motion was on.

Gannon

Post Number: 7535
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, you're playing the game wrong.

It's what YOU would do...heh.

Now that you mention it, I wonder if Martin got kicks from that repetition...and I ain't talkin' jollies!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 529
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey can't you tell it was sarcasm??

Gannon

Post Number: 7538
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, 'planner, your ejection has been over-ruled by the judges. Back in the game!

Laughing, I was HOPING you were kidding.

If I were boss, the parties wouldn't be occasional...just NOT on the premises. I'd want Public Safety to think I'm an angel.

LOVE IT, now the game is getting interesting.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 748
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, your carefully constructed requirements and wishes are more applicable to a UNIVERSE, not just a friggin' radio station...just toss in 'world peace' and you've nailed it...

Gannon

Post Number: 7554
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...whoa, JUST what I'm aiming for.

I started the game...don't make me take my balls and go home.

Heh.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

moderator, please move this to the DETYES thread. either that or tell Jelk and Gannon to go get a beer somewhere.....

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrulez...

why do you care that they are discussing this?

You do have the option of not reading this.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 876
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

keep Fresh Air.

Gannon

Post Number: 7556
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was WONDERING when you'd play, Oldredfordette.

Yeah, Terri Gross is just f'ing amazing. Hands down the example journalists should be using as their goal of excellence.

Detroitrulez,

Why, praytell, are you being an ass?

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe I woke up grumpy today....just seems like a bit of a self-absorbed topic for those close to DET...as opposed to detroitists. A radio station discussion forum would seem a good fit. But hey, just choose to ignore my posts....I do.

I'll be quiet now.
DETROIT RISES!

Gannon

Post Number: 7559
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You ignore your own posts...

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"you have the option of not reading this"

Gannon

Post Number: 7562
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ouch, but once I did, I couldn't take it back

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be quiet now.

Back to your regularly scheduled public radio programming.....

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 877
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay. Monday-Friday - NPR news, local news hour (10 to 11), Democracy Now! (11-12), Fresh Air (12-12:30),local/new music (12:30-4), NPR news, BBC World News (to 7pm), Ed Love (7-10), Willy Wilson show up to Liz Copeland. Repeat.

I like the news show but short of getting KCRW-style multi-service I'd cede to the music lovers.

I kinda like the weekend shows but I'd add American Routes and bring back Cypress Avenue. (which I listen to on the web from Kansas City public radio - who have several awesome music shows on Saturday btw.)

Sorry, Gannon. I've been crazy busy but I actually see the light at the end of my tunnel)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 878
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One other thing...

If DET is going to be relevant to Detroit in the future they are simply going to have to give up their hatred of rap music. It's over, rap music is mainstream. Plus a whole lot of it is very good and some of the best is coming out of Detroit. We can sit around and play music for each other but I'll bet the average age on this forum is...you all know how old you are. Let's join 2007 and bring in really new music.

Did I ever tell my Caryn Mathes/Boots Riley of the Coup/Billy Bragg story?

Gannon

Post Number: 7569
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh how I miss Cypress Avenue...whoa.

Forgot about it until you mentioned it.

Absolutely.

I with you also with the avoidance of certain music ENDING...we are Public and all is part of the fabric of life.

It is always fun to have Fari Judea or another hip young host introduce a piece with a rap song or some other music that I haven't encountered through my radio yet. I'm eager to hear more of what the BBC's next generation experiment yields.

As for your Caryn Mathes story...is it juicy? Can you tell it in public? You and I seem to be on different sides with our previous experience, but I won't let your perception taint otherwise great memories of the lady!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 879
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billy Bragg brought his Tell Us The Truth tour to Detroit - Billy, Steve Earle, Boots Riley, Lester Chambers, Mike Mills. Billy, Lester and Boots came to DET for an on-air. Caryn wouldn't let them in the building till they promised that Boots wouldn't open his mouth. Bandyke wouldn't do the interview, it ended up being Ralph Valdez. Lame lame lame. It's one of the reasons we probably won't see Billy in Detroit again, it will be Ann Arbor from now on.

And Boots is a lovely guy, thoughtful, smart and funny. We should be so lucky to have a guy like that on the airwaves. Plus it's excellent political rap.

http://www.kcur.org/
Cypress Avenue is on at 1pm Detroit time Saturday. Stay for the show afterward. Good stuff.

(Message edited by oldredfordette on December 13, 2006)

Gwyrah
Username: Gwyrah

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When was this? Billy Bragg has been in my studio twice since I've worked here (10 years). And no I won't talk about MC but Billy is interesting to me. He seemed very nice, and he enjoyed both times he played for us.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 883
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was in 2003 I think. He was pissed. Billy is as affable a guy as you'll ever meet, and it's not easy to get him going, but his experience that day was enough.

Gwyrah
Username: Gwyrah

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was the engineer for that session, I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Gannon

Post Number: 7572
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You were probably paying attention to your gear!

Very understandable...heh...that's your job.

Wonder what was up her butt over Boots? Worried about what he might say?!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 884
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evil scary rap music. In such bad taste.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some where there should be time for Ismeal Ahmed's world music show that used to be on 90.1 the old DPS channel on Saturday afternoons. That radio show was ALWAYS a treat.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.