Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Water rates jump 4.7% for suburbs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061212/M ETRO/612120313

Here we go again. Isn't it amazing that the title of the article is "Water rates jump 4.7% for suburbs" and when you read you find out that Detroit's hike is 8.5%. I also didn't read anything about Detroiters suffering by paying more...why only give the suburban impact? I can understand people resenting tax increases, but is an extra 53 cents a month really going to put the average suburbanite in debt? If this has such an earth shaking impact, then I'd hate to see what an extra 90 cents to 1 dollar per month is going to do to the average Detroiter. I definitely feel an agenda by the paper, 4.7% increase sounds more ominous than an extra $6 a year. Sometimes I wish some of the suburban communities get their own water AND sewage (because many suburban communities don't want to control or build a sewage system, only water) then see how much the taxpayers cry when all of the initial construction costs skyrocket the price of their water.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can understand people resenting tax increases, but is an extra 53 cents a month really going to put the average suburbanite in debt? If this has such an earth shaking impact, then I'd hate to see what an extra 90 cents to 1 dollar per month is going to do to the average Detroiter.

Ah, but didn't you hear? The suburbs have more poverty than Detroit!

Moreta
Username: Moreta

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, my impoverished suburb is getting its rates cut, so I'm happy.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Detroit would start wielding its water power like a club over all the sprawling communities who think daily lawn watering is a God-given right. Swing for the fences Mercado! Let's put the screws to sprawldom.

Oh and before you start opining about poverty in the burbs, you better clear it with Danny first. He has some 6 year old "thermal imaging" census maps which purport to demonstrate something or other.

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it interesting how people raise hell over some of the cheapest water rates in the US yet...

quote:

One consequence of the faulty system is that New Yorkers who do pay their water bills are bearing the burden of those who do not. In July, the city raised water rates by 9.4 percent, far more than had been projected. While higher insurance and financing costs contributed to the increase, the city Department of Environmental Protection, which runs the system, explained that “by far the biggest problem that is causing this proposed increase are the deadbeat homeowners who don’t pay their water bills.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12 /12/nyregion/12water.html?ref= nyregion

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA!

quote:

She tries to limit water use at her home by running her sprinklers only twice a week in the summer...

"My water bill is already ridiculous," she said. "I'm paying a good $200 every three months in the summer and about $90 in the winter. That's crazy."

Mine is going up 10%. Oh No. It's like $60 every three months, so now it's $66. Crap. Turn the sprinkler off, lady.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5283
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT'S TIME TO GO TO LANSING AND TELL THOSE REPUBLICAN LEGISLATURES TO HAVE THE SUBURBS TAKE OVER THE DETROIT DEPARTEMENT OF WATER WORKS.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The water and sewer system pricing clearly demonstrates the cooperative nature of Detroit vis a vi the suburbs. This seems to go unnoticed by suburban politicians and suburban press like the Detnews.com. Maybe the Cobo expansion should be funded by suburban water users. That project has a regional impact as well.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget that all of the suburbs in the system CHOSE to join Detroit's system rather than build their own. Most of the representatives of DWSD's suburban municipal customers have a positive attitude toward the way Detroit runs the system. They understand that replacing and renewing infrastructure -- to keep the entire system viable -- costs money.

Incidentally, DWSD is forbidden BY STATE LAW to make a profit on its water. It can only recoup the cost of delivery, and no more.

There are a few very vocal opponents in the suburbs who like to play politics with the regionalization issue and make it into a city vs. suburbs thing. Good old fear... what a motivator.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.