Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit leases space for Police Dept. Central District « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 545
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT -- The City Council approved a lease Monday for a new site for the Detroit Police Department's Central District.

Police officials said the new location, 7310 Woodward, will help alleviate staff overcrowding in the old building at 4747 Woodward. The current city-owned building is close to 60 years old.

"We are crammed into that building," said Deputy Chief John Clark. "We want to get into a professional environment."

The 20-year lease will cost the city about $1.26 million in rent the first year and will increase 2.5 percent every year after that. The lease covers 100,000 square feet of space and starts March 1.

The new spot also will make it easier for the public to do business at the office, such as pick up reports and apply for licenses, Clark said. There will be 400 free parking spaces at the new location.

About 470 police employees will be moved into the new building from the Central District and staffers at another police building.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061212/M ETRO01/612120373/1006

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's the old state of michigan building on the corner of grand. sounds like it'll be a good fit.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 637
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who are they renting from? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7202
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renting is generally considered a good way to obtain office space without having to purchase the building. Another way is squatting.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3042
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Squatting is the smart way for the DPD to go ... even if they get caught who is the building owner gonna call to remove them? ... see what I'm sayin'? It's foolproof!

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 374
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may not be such a bad deal.

Assume $192,000 per year is allocated to cost of parking (400 spaces X $40/mo/space.)

Annual per sq ft office rent would be $10.08 ($1,260,000 - $192,000 = $1,008,000 divided by 100,000 sq ft.) That would increase to $16.52 per sq ft annually during the 20th year as a result of the annual escalator.

The big question is whether it's a gross or net lease.

A gross lease would usually be the numbers above plus the City paying for electricity.

A net lease would require the tenant/City to pay for heat, maintenance/repairs/replacemen ts, real estate taxes, insurance etc (or a combination of the above.) That would SIGNIFICANTLY increase the City's occupancy costs and would be a very bad deal. Kickback alert.

The Det. News guy did not ask the right questions and accordingly it's not possible for a citizen, based on the News' report, to determine whether it's a prudent deal. Lousy reporting.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that's an old building with a facelift gone bad.
The central corridor on the main level has a nice original ceiling if I'm recalling correctly.
Anyone know?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3421
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember some talk up in here a few years ago about the ugly stuff being renewed and the original attractive exterior being restored. Nothing more on that I suppose.

I have to admit the present dull exterior definitely has a faceless 'cop' look to it, much like the current 13th Precinct station. I would suppose that the 13th footprint would be an attractive spot with the boom in midtown going along well and the city could do well selling it.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can the city afford the rent?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 638
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you mean how can they afford it? I'm well aware tha is money tight, but the city is wasn't bankrupt last time I checked.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4889
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real question is how can they afford to continue to work in cramped and limited facilities resulting in decreased production of services (well, more than they may currently be decreased)? How can they not afford this? should be the question.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 693
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the building that had the "Vote for Kwame" sign up well past the election isn't it? Hell, it may still be up there, but I've moved.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, that was his campaign HQ. Other than his office in there on the (3rd floor?), it was pretty empty. Storage for the city, and a couple of other businesses that appeared deserted.

Username: 48202

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For info on building owner:
http://www.lakeshoreeng.com/ne ws.htm

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4893
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how they refer to it as "a beautiful 8-storey building". lol

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything would be better than that closet downtown. The 400 parking spaces is a welcome change from the "guaranteed parking ticket" trying to get into 1300 Beaubian.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3239
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to W. Hawkins Ferry's book "The Buildings of Detroit", the Boulevard Building, an Albert Kahn design was built in 1910, and was 4 stories tall. A further 4 stories were added in 1913 in a seamless fashion. It had 16 double window bays along Grand Boulevard, and 5 along Woodward. The massive 8 story building was faced in white Terra Cotta, with ornamentation above the 1st, 2nd, 7th and 8th floor. There was a fancy overhanging cornice above the 8th floor.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any way to get that book for a reasonable price? On Amazon, the prices start at $170+ from third-party vendors.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 697
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if you, god forbid, put a quarter in the meter, you wouldn't get a parking ticket downtown.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just a stab in the dark, but the DPD may have been paying rent to the City for its other building anyway.

Just because the city owns the building doesn't mean they would give it to the DPD for free. It wasn't owned by DPD. This is a common arrangement for businesses ... one entity owns the property, and the other entity pays rent to the first one.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um...Do you think the owners may be one of KK's cronies. KK's campaign offices were in that building. When the state moved into the GM building I was told that building was offered to the city for one dollar, now they will be paying over a million dollars a year to use part of the building.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds like it to me...

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a conspiracy theory I think we can all get behind.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4896
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette248, we're talking about the Central District, which the article says the old offices were at 4747 Woodward. We're not talking about the downtown precinct/headquarters. This has nothing to do with that building.

BTW, can any of you trace the Lakeshore Engineering Services company, the owners of the building, to Kilpatrick?

Lastly, are there any historic photos of this one before reconstruction, and what year was it reconstructed (i.e. modernized)?

(Message edited by lmichigan on December 14, 2006)

Dpd_blue

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone check Detroit real estate records and see if Wayne State bought the central district. The address of the central district is 4747 Woodward. This is what I'm hearing....

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like a bad deal. Not sure though.

But for (nearly $30 million?) the life of the lease shouldn't they have bought a building?

(Message edited by newlaster on December 16, 2006)

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 449
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This building most recently was known as the State of Michigan Building on the northeast corner of Woodward and East Grand Bouelvard.

It was designed by Albert Kahn in 1909 for the Ford Motor Company as their "Sales and Service Building." Orignally four stories, an additional four stores were added under a Kahn commisison in 1913.

Ford moved out in 1919 and it became the Wayne County Savings Bank's "Boulevard Building," which it was known as at least into the 1960's. When the State took it over the original ornate glazed white terra cotta facing was replaced with the present aggregate pebble stone panels and new windows were added. The State vacated the building when they moved into the former General Motors Buiding two blocks west on the southwest corner of East Grand Boulevard and Cass in 2000.

Besides the aforementioned "Buildings of Detroit" by Hawkins Ferry, the original building in pictured in the Detroit Historical Museum's 28-page booklet "Milwaukee Jucntion - Cradle of the Automobile Industry available in the museum gift shop.

The museum is open Wednesday through Sunday, check www.detroithistorical.org for the hours.

Bob Cosgrove

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 418
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a little digging online and found that the CEO of Lakeshore Engineering (Avinash Rachmale) gave $2000.00 in June of this year to the Kilpatrick for U.S Congress campaign and $1000.00 in 2001. (Info found on CampaignMoney.com).

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4903
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, shoot me an email at lmongt at comcast.net

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3437
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

View from today:
State of Michigan Building Detroit

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmmmmmmm, looking good!! Who wouldn't want their offices in this 'beautiful' building. Hopefully the original terra cotta is under there somewhere, or the inside is really nice.

Dpd_blue

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have to think from a homeland security aspect, this building is very dangerous. The building is no more than 12 feet from Woodward. What a great target for a car bomb.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4904
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you talking about? That's totally irrelevant to anything being discussed, here.

Paul, the terra cotta almost certainly isn't under that facade. I have a feeling just looking at this that the thing was completely stripped of the facade and the new aggregate facade put on.

(Message edited by lmichigan on December 16, 2006)

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3438
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dpd_Blue makes a good point. Presumably car barricades ala the McNamara Building would be required, first the road dividers, then the less obvious planters.

But since no police facility is defended, even 1300 Beaubien, why start now?

One thing a car bomb couldn't do to that building is make it look uglier.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4905
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He only makes a good point if we're talking about federal buildings. We're talking about a municipal police department.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3252
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Lmichigan is correct. The Terra Cotta is gone.

The windows had Terra Cotta between them. Where we see groups of 4 windows with black bands on either side were once 2 tall floor to ceiling windows with a thin terra cotta strip between them, and thicker terra cotta that correspond to where the black bands are.

The old building surface was about 75% windows, while the remodeled building surface looks to be about 33% windows.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.