Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Vacant Block S. of Murray Wright « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 421
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bounded by Grand River, Canfield and Forest. What was here previously and has anything ever been proposed for this area?

Lets start a drive to harass the hell out Cockrel Jr, who lives on Avery, and get a big box placed there. Just not Forman Mills!

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I propose a Hooter's for this spot.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when does Kenny spearhead development? Last I checked the Council was a legislative body.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is around there that would make this location a good area in which someone should invest (just not too familiar with that block)?

Username: 3420

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the vacant site on Grandriver was suppose to be a state of the art football stadium for Murray-Wright and also used for DPS football playoffs as I recall. There was an article on it years go in the papers. The plans were later scrapped because it would have cost around 10 million dollars. The land has also been vacant for a long time.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you happen by this area on Sunday morning around 11AM stop in at St. Leo's for mass. Bishop Thomas Gumbleton gives a GREAT sermon, it is an experience unlike any I've ever had in a church before.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Buddyinrichmond, Ken Crockrel Jr. was just at a ribbon cutting ceremony to announce the grand opening of 55 West, a former school warehouse being converted into condo-lofts in the Midtown area of Detroit. During the event, Cockrel gave praise to developer Colin Hubbell. Cockrel said they were good friends.

As president of the city council of Detroit, Cockrel has the voting power and the ability to influence other council members to vote in favor of a particular development. If Colin Hubbell is the developer, then it appears that his developments would be voted on favorably by city council. Other developers might also have some clout with Ken Cockrel. So, I would never say that Ken Cockrel doesn't spearhead development.

Bussey

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I get an AMEN....

Target or Meijer. Hell I'll even be content with a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Market.

Bring the corporations to the hood and they will come.

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3420 writes:

quote:

Actually, the vacant site on Grandriver was suppose to be a state of the art football stadium for Murray-Wright and also used for DPS football playoffs as I recall. There was an article on it years go in the papers. The plans were later scrapped because it would have cost around 10 million dollars. The land has also been vacant for a long time.

Indeed: The WSU CULMA aerial-photo site confirms that the land has been vacant since at least the 1980s; the 1961 photo shows a few blocks of small houses on the site, on streets whose lines can still be seen in today's Google Maps satellite shots.
photo

Aerializing in Ottawa.

Bussey

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this site the one I was talking about? I don't see the Wilbur Wright school that is on the corner of 12th (R.P.) and Canfield.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Royce, Kenny cut a ribbon. What exactly did Council need to vote on in order for 55 West to go forward?

Sounds like Bussey drank the kool-aid and bought for the potential not the reality.

Bussey

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What ch'you Talkin bout' Buddy?

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey asked:

quote:

Is this site the one I was talking about? I don't see the Wilbur Wright school that is on the corner of 12th (R.P.) and Canfield.

I believe so. That school would be the building at the very bottom right corner of the picture I posted.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.