Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Audi NA HQ « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rokk_krinn
Username: Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to recall an announcement last year that Audi was looking to move their North American HQ from Auburn Hills to another location. The main reasons for this, if I recall, was that it was a hard sell to recruit people to the Detroit area. Does anyone know the status of this?

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is true.
They are still considering the move.
They want to be in an environment that matches their brand.
It doesn't make sense to me, but the Audi people I know feel that the Detroit area is too conservative and not reflective of their typical customer.
Recruiting is also a part of it.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they don't move. I don't know about this and haven't heard of it before. I've got a friend who recruits for Audi/VW...she said it's a great place to work and everyone is really happy there.

Who knows though...

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3737
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why wold they want to move? The absolute BEST minds in the auto industry are here in Detroit. It's a great place to be for an auto company. Why blow it because some Stanford grad doesnt like the snow?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the crumbling foundation mentality. A few companies cut and run, they all figure they better start considering a move.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like "white flight"

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, what I heard was that VW and Porsche would be staying out there in Auburn Hills - for now. But it is getting harder and harder to recruit mid and upper level management to the Detroit area for all the usual reasons. As for "the absolute BEST minds in the auto industry are here in Detroit" I guess that depends on what your idea of the "BEST" is. VW is planning on doing a big expansion, pumping billions into the Audi brand, expanding the line, etc. and the mentality in the Detroit area really does not "fit" well with their core and targeted customer base.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard this too. I suppose I can understand it. It might not really matter anyway. My understanding is the VW/Audi HQ in AH is more of an office/admin type place than any sort of engineering/R&D/tech center type thing. SE Michigan has the Eng/R&D/Tech minds, but the rest of the country can do the admin just as well.

The stupid thing is I bet you could ask a huge number of Audi customers and target customers where the Audi North American HQ is located and I bet 85%+ would have absolutely NO idea. And and even larger number wouldn't give a damn. Got a few friends with Audis. They bought them cause they liked the style, interior quality, and the way they drive. They certainly didn't even think once that Audi is located in AH and maybe they shouldn't buy it because AH isn't snooty enough.

I hope they don't leave, but if they do, I suspect it will have very little effect on the cars, the sales, or the clientele.

BTW, I'm a Stanford grad. I love the snow. I might be the only one though. I'd love to get a great auto job in Michigan. Maybe I'm the exception? Holla if you're interested. I'm an industrial engineer.... :-)

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Audi currently has the most advanced and dominant sports endurance prototype in the world today... http://www.lasersol.com/CyberM otor/plm_06_thurs.html#audi

Unfortunately, Detroit has most of its marbles in NASCAR, a series running 1960's technology. I imagine that the 'best minds' of Detroit would find this disconcerting. Detroit will get a chance to see the state-of-the-art next summer on Belle Isle. Porsche already has its NA HQ's here in Atlanta, BMW is in S.C. and Mercedes is in Alabama. I would be willing to bet that Audi is considering this area for their HQ, particularly since they have achieved so much success in the Atlanta-based American Le Mans Series.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 696
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't surprise me to see Audi/VW in the DC area, if they're following the brightest minds (and their target market).

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why DC? I don't think the brightest minds go there, or at least not in comparison to NYC, the Bay Area or Boston.

DC isn't really a headquarters city and isn't known for deep engineering talent.

DC is certainly affluent, but not moreso than the aforementioned areas and a few others.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 698
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, there is an infusion of talent into the DC area, though not DC proper. Many bright minds are locating there, in engineering, tech. and development jobs (though obviously not in automotive).

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phoenix/Tempe is a mecca for technology, more so than DC.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say if it goes anywhere, itll be Nashville.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nissan is moving their national headquarters to just outside nashville. People are TERRIFIED of Detroit. Sorry, I love the city but its the pure truth. People are just scared to death of it. and when they think Auburn Hills, the STILL think DETROIT! "CRIME CAPITAL AND MURDER CAPITAL". I know its wrong, but thats what I hear all the time.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3754
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peachlaser, the whole 1960's technology thing with NASCAR must be working because they are making a shitload in revenue compared with ANY other motor sport in the world today. Obviously, they are doing something right.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What they're doing right is marketing to mainstream america.

I prefer WRC Rally Racing myself....way more fun to watch than cars going in a paved circle.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The funny thing about NASCAR is that there's nothing stock about those cars at all. It's all tailored specifically for the sport. Then look at the sport clubs where rich men race their modified Bimmers and Vettes. Tell me what's more stock?

But yeah, Nissan moved inland to be closer to their plants, if I'm not mistaken. I know my Alty was made down in TN. If Audi followed that example, where would they move?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BMW and Mercedes both have their North American HQ in Northern NJ, just outside of NYC. The Asian car companies seem to have HQ outside of LA.

Following that trend, I would say Northern NJ would be a strong candidate for Audi.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that NASCAR knows how to market. My point is that I think the cars should push the envelope in automotive engineering. By 1960's technology, I mean pushrod V-8s with carbs. The Audi R10 prototype is powered by a V-12 Diesel that has as much torque as it does horsepower. It is fast, strong, reliable, powerful and efficient.

The difference is that this car can stay out for multiple laps longer than others due to is greater efficiency while running just as fast as the gasoline-powered cars. While this is an advanced engine, I am still not totally sold on diesels. This engine doesn't make the noises of a diesel or smoke like one (most of the time).

I just think that if manufacturers are racing their products, they should be pushing the envelope in R&D in efficiency and reliability and racing technology that is going to make the automobile better in the future. Endurance racing does that, in my opinion and Audi is at the top of the mountain right now and has been there for about five years. I would love to see American and Detroit-based ideas and engineering win in this league. GM and Corvette are coming the closest, but they are not in the top prototype class. Right now, Audi is King of the Mountain.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Ferrari NA is also HQed in NJ.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read this and it goes along with what I was saying earlier...

"Audi Sport is aiming to become the first manufacturer to win the Le Mans 24 Hours with bio-fuel in 2008, having become the first manufacturer to win the race with a diesel engined car in June 2006.

Speaking at the recent World Motorsport Symposium in London, Audi Sport’s head of engine technology Ulrich Baretzky said, “We want to use the R10 programme to develop combustion technology for a future target for us in the VW Audi Group. That is to go a step beyond oil and gas based fuels. As soon as possible we would like to use Biomass to Liquid (BTL) fuel. That means that we will be using synthetic fuels made from renewable sources. The best part is that the transformation process can be CO2 neutral. All of the C02 absorbed by the plant is burned. That’s environmentally friendly motorsport and we hope to introduce BTL fuel in 2008.”

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.