Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Irving Berlin's White Christmas « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 350
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking about taking my fiance to the show currently at the Fox Theater. She's never been to the Fox, and I think just going there would thrill her.

Anyone seen the show? Is it worth the price?

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 732
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw it, and I loved it. Hard to make a judgment for someone else, though. I also had excellent seats, which matters to me, and I love the movie, so I knew the songs. And the ending is especially cool. My two cents. :-)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4088
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of the show I think if it's her first time to the Fox, it's going to be a stunner. My suggestion is to get there a little earlier and just scope out the lobby of the place. I don't think you're going to go wrong by taking her there.

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm taking my girlfriend next Sunday when we are in town from SC. I just want her to see the Fox. Also, has anyone stayed at the Inn on Ferry?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 351
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you suggest seeing the movie first? Are we likely to miss out on something we should be waiting for if we dont?

I'm a huge fan of live theatre and frequent shows here in Detroit, but my fiance is not and it's totally different than movie watching that she does quite a bit...I'm thinking the movie might make it easier for her to follow the story.

I have heard great things about the Inn on Ferry. I have not stayed there, but a couple who is friends of ours raved about their stay when they were in town to visiting us over the summer.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Christmas is very good, I saw it. I would see the movie if you don't know the story

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just went to the show last week, simply breathtaking. I enjoyed every minute of it.

(Message edited by mortgageking on December 10, 2006)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4090
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wpitonya, The Inn on Ferry is amazing. I've had numerous guests stay there and they've all raved about the place. It's almost hard to believe that they're in the heart of the city is the most prevalent comment I've heard from my friends.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 291
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you like musicals, you will like the show. If you don't, you won't.

I don't like musicals, so I didn't.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, is there one particularly great room at the Inn on Ferry? Which would be the best?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going with a group of people on Saturday night. We are trying to plan our evening. A question for those who have already attended: How long did it last? We are hoping to drive around the city to look at Christmas light or go to CM to see the skaters.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5272
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'M DREAMING FOR A BLACK CHRISTMAS! AND NOT THAT HORROR MOVIE.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 797
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2-1/2 hours door-todoor, including intermission

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11020
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Follow up the show with some "parking" in front of the Book Cadillac. :-)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 751
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So, is there one particularly great room at the Inn on Ferry? Which would be the best?

Website has pics:

http://innonferrystreet.com/05 /

Detroitstar

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I picked up a pair of tickets for the 6:30 show on Sunday. I'm very excited for the lady's first trip to the Fox!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can second the recommendation for the Inn, on behalf of those business travelers I've put up there.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year I stayed at the Inn. I took my now ex-fiance down to see the fireworks, where afterward I proposed to her there. We stayed at the Pungs house, which was absolutely wonderful. It's hard to believe a place like this is in the middle of a big city. The bed was the most comfortable bed I had ever slept in. The continental breakfast the next morning was a nice touch too. The Inn is certainly worth every penny.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3112
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring Back the Rockettes!

"we deck the halls with Christmas..."

Wash_man

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info 56packman. That's longer than I expected.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 752
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another inn, even closer to the Fox:

http://www.theinnat97winder.co m/

I haven't stayed there but took a tour of it, a very beautiful place.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3233
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey 56packman, did anyone play the auditorium Wurlitzer or lobby Moller organ before the show or during intermission?

Hearing the organs playing adds to the WOW factor at the Fox!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many people should be expected for a weekend show? I would anticipate a pretty weak turnout, considering the length of the stay. Am I correct?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3235
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, they probably have great turnouts. I remember seeing the Rockettes twice (3rd and 5th year here). And the theatre was always crowded. Not completely full, but crowded.

The Fox has a maximum capacity of 5,174, so even a non-sold out 4,000 makes for a crowded theatre.

Best seats are in the balcony.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok--just playing the lobby Moller, taking time out for St.__________'s (or other school) children's choir.
No big W this show, sorry to say.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the show 2 weeks ago today and the place was 3/4 full at least. Nice crowd

Wash_man

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw the show on Saturday night. Great show! From where I was sitting, I didn't see any empty seats. Downtown are was packed before and after. Very vibrant night.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 371
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got home from the 6:30 show. I really enjoyed the musical, and my fiance was blown away by the beauty of the Fox! Dinner and the show were both spectacular...another great night in Detroit!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 751
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owners of innat97Winder are big jazzfest supporters, very nice people, beautiful establishment.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.