Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Harper & Van Dyke « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper and Van Dyke has always seemed like the center of some town. Was this a prominent community in the past in Detroit or was it a smaller town before Detroit expanded, any info would be great.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it was Leesville. Hornwrecker has a 1916 map of the area. This may be on a earlier thread. When I was a kid, My Grandmother and I used to walk there to shop. There was a United Shirt on the corner of Van Dyke and Harper.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother-in-law's parents had a market there that was displaced by the expressway. I'm going to ask them if they remember

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2925
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leesville was at the Gratiot/Harper/Cadillac intersection.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.