Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Big Fire north of Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went out for a drive Friday 12-8 night to see Christmas lights along Lakeshore in Grosse Pointe and across the lake in the Harsens Island, Fairhaven, Walpole Island area of the lake there was a huge orange glow that was even lighting up the clouds above orange. Does anybody know what was on fire? From the size of it, I would think that it was a marsh fire. I know in the past with marsh fires we have gotten ash fallout in Grosse Pointe, but the wind was blowing the other way this time. So What was burning???

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure about that fire, but check this out:

http://detroitfire.dvrdns.org: 8000/live

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that glow too. I thought it could have been Selfridge related but a fire sounds a lot more realistic judging from how it looked.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the red glow on I-94 around the 696 intersection around 8:30-9P.M. I thought it might be the Northern Lights. I wanted to drive out by the lake to check it out, but was late to my appointment.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2918
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe blowoff from an oil well/refinery on the Canadian side of the St Clair river.

Harsensis

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked the Port Huron Times to see if there was anything listed, but they didn't show anything yet. Although conditions are good for the northern lights right now, this was on the ground since it was the brightest there and it was glowing in the clouds. Maybe the Walpole Indians had a big bon fire going, and a bit to much fire water.

Mikem

Post Number: 2919
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About a year ago I was flying to Detroit from Minneapolis, and while passing over Milwaukee, I could see a bright fire on the horizon near Sarnia. There had been an accident at a refinery near there and gas was being vented and burned as part of the emergency procedures. Looked like the sun coming up about 8 hours too early.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that the Indians on Walpole Island burn off the fields at least once a year. That could have been it.

Harsensis

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I knew my wife was going to be driving on Lakeshore again, so I called her to see if she could still see it. After 24 hours, it is still visible, but not as bright as last night. She said if you hadn't seen it the night before, you wouldn't pay attention to it, but it is still glowing.

Harsensis

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called somebody on Harsens Island to see if it was the Indians burning their fields, but they couldn't see anything strange, which lead me to think it is something in Sarnia in the Chemical Valley.

Harsensis

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, I did some digging on the web and found this webcam picture from a few minutes ago. I bet the glow is from the oil refineries. It sure was bright!

Ribalda
Username: Ribalda

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could have been The Lady of Fatima.

Ribalda

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis, can you post a link to that webcam?

Harsensis

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the site is below, but the top pick isn't fire at all, it is yellow lights from all of the buildings. I guess the web cam doesn't do well at night. Which takes me back to square one on what the fire was. Thanks a lot Jimaz for bursting my bubble! lol In the full sized pic of the orange above, it really looks like an industrial plant burning of gasses. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Here is the link. http://www.mnsi.net/~jhlavac/

Mikem

Post Number: 2921
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In this satellite photo from yesterday, I see a wisp of smoke east of that larger island in the St Clair River:
http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=e&page=1&template=sub&image=t1.06343.1626.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg

Not there on earlier photos:

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=e&page=3&template=sub&image=a1.06332.1826.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg

Fire detection satellites detected something burning in the area:

ftp://gp16.ssd.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/FIRE/MODIS/GRAPHIC/modisfires2006343.png

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7463
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MIKEM!

Wow...fire detection satellites? How do you FIND these things?!

Gannon

Post Number: 7464
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, go to that site and see the whole thing...WTF, did they put California's out already?

What is UP with the south...they are just burning up...and Haiti has some SERIOUS issues.

Gannon

Post Number: 7465
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOPS, Dominican Republic.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the southern fires are probably controlled burns. We do a lot of that this time of year.

Harsensis

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked around on a different board, and they reported back that there was blow off at one of the chemical plants in Sarnia. All I can say was WOW it was bright! So now we have the answer. Thanks for all that helped. JJ

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just up around St. John's marsh this past Saturday and it was obvious that much of the marsh had been recently scorched. So, the safe bet is controlled burning of the marsh, which would've been the area described (Fair Haven, Walpole, etc). Sarnia is much further north and wouldn't have been visible from Harsens.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone see the fires from the petro plant that caught fire early this morning in Canada?

Harsensis

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the fire was bright enough and high enough it could have been seen. I saw the fire from Grosse Pointe and not Harsens, but we can easily see the power plant stacks and smoke from Grosse Pointe and Harsens Island on clear days. Sarnia is not that much further. Ct, if you have ever gone up in a small airplane, once you get up to 3000 feet, you realize just how close everything is. I wasn't up driving around at 4 am to see the latest fire.

Mikem

Post Number: 2928
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three bright things you can see from an airplane for hundreds of miles: Gas flares, blast furnaces, and ski hills. Forest/brush fires aren't very bright.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 219
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are all wrong:
Official Space Weather Advisory: Geomagnetic Storm in Progress

A geomagnetic storm began on December 14 at 1416 UTC (9:16 A.M. EST). A solar flare on 13 December at 0240 UTC (12 December, 9:40 P.M. EST) from NOAA Region 930 produced strong radio blackouts (R3) and an associated moderate (S2) solar radiation storm. A large Earth-directed coronal mass ejection was also observed with this event, producing today's geomagnetic storming. Strong to severe (G3 - G4) geomagnetic storming is expected to last through 15 December. Aside from potentially nasty things like knocking out power grids and communication systems, the storm should provide spectaular northern lights. http://www.spaceref.com/news/v iewsr.html?pid=22778

Ribalda
Username: Ribalda

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're sure that it wasn't The Lady of Fatima?

Ribalda

Harsensis

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did have conformation from somebody who lives near there that the bright fire was blow off from the chemical plants. They have a fire going to burn off the gasses released.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.