Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Bridge plan cuts swath in southwest Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bridge plan cuts swath in southwest Detroit

quote:

"On the United States side, the interchange and plaza are bounded by Interstate 75, Jefferson, Dearborn and Clark"

Why would the interchange and plaza require such a large footprint? Well, as stated in the article, this should really put proposal 4 to the test.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to be an ass or anything but, that area isn't really high priced real estate, in my opinion. If they need to abuse any area that one should be the least problematic, i.e. local residents, existing structures, zoning.

In between Springwells and downtown along Fort you have lots of abandoned factories, houses, and lots. Only one piece of the urban fabric within there, aside from personal residences whose value cannot be accurately viewed from an outsider, Southwestern High School, is really worth saving.

I'm not that well versed with the area so if any of you know of other pertinent examples within this area, aside from typical NIMBY remarks, please inform us.

They doubled Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron and that area is much more inviting than this portion of Southwest Detroit, even still with the double spans in place. So I ask what are the real concerns?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also southwest Detroit at the last census in 2000, was the only portion of Detroit that is growing in population. Therefore in theory, it would be a bad bridge location.

Bussey

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the area that is growing is on the other side (north) of I-75.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 652
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on the north side of I-75. I have a well-restored Queen Anne house that is paid for and I would like to keep. However, I do have more breathing problems than my friends seem to have and I wonder if they are spurred by air quality in my neighborhood. I wonder if there won't be much bigger, much more proximate exhaust deposits in the neighborhood if that Bridge is built.

On the other hand, maybe someone will want my house.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as they don't touch Fort Wayne...that would be a bad bad thing.

From the looks of this map...the two possible locations (x's) are on either side of it.

It's too bad they can't place the bridge closer to the Ambassador...that way they could utilize a single, albeit a much larger and improved, border control center. But I guess that's the whole point of another totally separate bridge...to alleviate congestion.

Lets come up with a "Name that Bridge" competition. Thank god this didn't happen closer to 2000 or we'd be stuck with that whole millenium crap.

Here's a start:

"International Bridge"

"Fort Wayne Bridge"

"Michigan Bridge"

"Alliance Bridge"

"Good Will Bridge"

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 658
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the bridge does not get a snappy name it will likely be referred to locally as the "Downriver Bridge".

Bussey

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We already have an International Bridge up at the Soo.

Why can't it be the Ambassador as well?

Upinottawa

Post Number: 659
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Ambassador as Well Bridge". Has a great ring to it. :-)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2833
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The issue is that with a double Ambassador span, the infrastructure won't support more traffic, especially on the Windsor side. On our side there are frequently dangerous truck back-ups on 175. It's a wonder that more fatal accidents have not occurred.
Those of us who live near the bridge have also seen the long history of Maroun the Vampire gobbling up street after street to expand his empire, ignoring the law and playing dirty tricks on those who don't play along.
My own gut reaction is that it is troubling for one man to control all international border traffic.
A second bridge downriver will solve the problems nicely, but there seems to be opposition everywhere, even in Delray.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they provide people with equivalent homes in other areas (rather than just fair market value), I'd guess most of the displaced residents would be in favor of it.

This plan still looks a lot better than Matty Maroun's plan to maintain his monopoly by twinning ("enhancing") the Ambassador Bridge.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 660
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The twinning (or enhancing) of the current Ambassador Bridge is a political no go on the Canadian side.

Moroun should offer to give the Ambassador Bridge to Canada/United States for the rights to build a Delray Bridge. The governments' may not bite, but it would be an interesting offer.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Holy Cross Hungarian Catholic Church (on South) is in the footprint. Although I've never been, I hear it is beautiful. I hope they tweak the plans, because it's one of the last vestiges of a once-vibrant Hungarian community.

Also, St. John Cantius Polish Catholic Church (on Edwin) is not in the footprint but is slated to close next year. Even if you're not Catholic, I encourage a visit. It is an amazing church and its beauty is such a contrast to a neighborhood that has unfortunately seen better days.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this new bridge to be privately owned (but with public ownership rights) as well?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Holy Cross Hungarian Catholic Church is very beautiful, too bad about that area. I feel that the bridge will be a good thing for both Detroit and Windsor, although I would like to see improvements to the Tunnel as well. My biggest hope with the new bridge is that they try to make it beautiful, and interesting to look at. Bridges can be such things of grace, but they can also be ugly as all get out.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 315
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that footprint seems gynormous. Lots of important things are within that segment - Southwest High School, Arvin Meritor, Fort Wayne, the Detroit Produce Terminal, Mistersky power station, Detroit Edison Delray, Fort Street, Jefferson Avenue, the old Union Belt RR trackage, Mottz Burgers!.... Is this really the best place? Not to mention the Delray neighborhood, home to (as people already mentioned) some very beautiful churches. I realize it's not one of Detroit's better neighborhoods upkeep wise, but didn't we already determine that building huge projects through lower class 'hoods was not the best idea (Hello urban freeways... I-75 is a prime example)? Just a few thoughts.

I agree we need to ease the congestion - why not send load half of the trucks on the bridge onto flatcars and run them through the rail tunnel? Whats the status of redevelopeing the old Junction Yard into the Intermodal Transit center we need for the region? The land is already there and available, and would not involve demolishing nearly as many structures or closing as many streets as this..... just throwing it out there...

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully they end up putting this thing at the end of Junction St. That area is a mess and Post St. should be salvaged if only for Southwestern HS. Not to mention there are a greater number of homes on Post.

Who knows, with the construction of this bridge, we'll probably see some revitalization of the rest of Delray and maybe some major refurbishing to Ft. Wayne, extending the Riverwalk all the way to the Fort? It would really tie the area together and provide some incentive for new construction in the area. I'd think this part of the city, being on the river, will be pretty valuable once the areas near and around downtown/corktown/southwest are revitalized.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although, the News article does use the word "between" concerning the number of houses, business, and streets that will be razed. It also notes the plan is still being adjusted. As with anything, we will just have to wait and see what happens, and I am sure plenty of people such as the Delray groups will provide comment and input.

As for Holy Cross, I am going to visit as soon as possible. I realize congregations in the city have dwindled, but it seems the AOD has a track record of closing parishes (St. Stanislaus in Poletown for one) that have ample finances and don't deplete AOD funds just to get money for the buildings.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some things to be concerned about:
If the bridge is built at Junction, it would stretch across the river right into a rather dense residential area of Sandwich. If built at Post, it would extend to a less-developed industrial area of the Canadian side. Obviously there's lost of considerations for both parties.... Looking forward to seeing further developments on this.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the brand new Southwest Public Safety Center they just built. That would get demolished too.

Now where on earth would my poor grandmother go if they decided to snatch up her house?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4850
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't get over how large that footprint seems for the bridge and related service areas. How large is the Ambassador Bridges footprint? This just looks ridiculously large.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 661
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been talk of building the bridge on an angle, i.e. not straight across the River. You can view crossing options and plaza options at http://www.partnershipborderst udy.com/maps.asp.

Gsgeorge is right, Brighton Beach is the preferred (if only) option on the Windsor side. The city will not allow Sandwich to be destroyed by (another) bridge.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow thats a lot of land. ridiculous

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey, the twinning of the bridge in Port Huron in '97 didn't enlarge the footprint of the plaza. That was a mistake that the state's rectifying now, as they unveiled plans this week to expand the plaza, basically turning that part of town into a giant truck stop. For those of you who have crossed you know the plaza is currently elevated. The plan calls for brining the plaza down to ground level, building at 20 foot high security wall around the whole thing, and expanding it to 50 acres IN THE CITY. 130 homes and 35 businesses will be displaced in this city of 30,000. The expected loss of tax base in the city would be about 32 million. In addition to this project, which will cost upwards of $300,000,000 (keep in mind thats just for the plaza, theres no bridge expansion) The state just announced today a $146 million dollar project on the highway leading up to the bridge that will displace another 28 homes and 5 more businesses in Port Huron Twp immediately west of the bridge. To sum it up $450 million dollars spent on construction, lasting from 2008-2012 that will displace 150 homes and 40 businesses.

Yes the area was still inviting after the bridge was built, but that didn't a fraction of the impact on the city this will have. Here are the links to the plan and a few articles on it.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0 ,1607,7-151-9621_11058_22978-1 57181--,00.html

http://www.thetimesherald.com/ apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200 61201/NEWS01/612010307&SearchI D=73265356525999

http://www.thetimesherald.com/ apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200 61203/OPINION01/612030321&Sear chID=73265357098491

http://www.thetimesherald.com/ apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200 61208/NEWS01/612080301

Obviously, I understand that this will have a much larger impact on a city of Port Huron's size than it will on Southwest Detroit, but Bussey, understand that this project is cause for concern for the people living in that area.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3217
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take it that this will have to be a "public" bridge, right?

Besides the 125% property takeover rule, I wonder if the recent vote on Eminent Domain will affect this project in any other unforeseen ways?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all the schemes, the footprint on the US side is the same...

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upinottowa, thanks for the link. Great to see the actual plans. I still can't imagine why they will be building in a residential neighborhood so close to an historic fort when the industrial area just south of here would be ideal. Of course there may be hesitations about building in RIver Rouge (city) or over the river itself, but this is going to be straddling two countries after all. If it's security they're worried about, I doubt any terrorists would try getting to Zug Island.....

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The width of the river is a large consideration in the plans as well. It is narrowest near the Ambassador Bridge, and widens as you go further each way.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.