Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » On-site daycare at CBD businesses? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any? Just curious.
The Hooters thread got me thinking about what's kid & family friendly downtown other than sporting and cultural events.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compuware, Wayne County Building, RenCen

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 498
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Caesers, Federal Building, New Center One.

These places are all over the place. Detroit is very progressive with these for some reason. Smart business move. Simplifies the parent's life greatly. Allows more face time with child on way to work and during lunch.

My sister lives in chicago and has two toddlers. She is amazed these places exist here, and not there.

You don't want to be too family friendly. Too many people per household mean more people using schools, medical facilities, libraries, trash pick-up. They can really increase the cost of doing business.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a Central BUSINESS District. Perhaps with more people moving into it, it will no longer be considered as such and it will become more family friendly. Maybe even an elementary school downtown some day?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are elementary schools just a block or two outside of the freeway moat (Holy Trinity, Friends, Lafayette Park). This would be an excellent application for a dare I say it 'Charter School', or a similar school of choice school district. Again children could arrive with parents and leave at the end of the day.

Going to an inner-city school afforded me with a good cross section of field trips. Teachers were not hung up about taking us to places like the Science Center, DIA, Children's Museum, Historical Museum, Henry Ford Museum, Fort Wayne, the Zoo to learn about arts and letters.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.