Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Class action lawsuit against BIG 3? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to wonder why Detroit gets such a bad rap. Well I know why I live here... Anyway I'm always hearing that way back when, when there were talks about putting in mass transit and stuff that the BIG 3 nixed it because we were the "Motor City" and drove cars and didn't need mass transit. Well excuse my ignorance on the matter but was this officially decided upon by the BIG 3 or did it ever go to vote by the citizens? If the BIG 3 caused it all can we sue them for putting so much investment into them and now their going belly up and screwing Detroit over? Maybe putting in mass transit or who knows what else they brushed aside, might have helped Detroit and make it a different place today. Not leading the nation in foreclosures, being one of the fattest cities and what not.

Maybe there already is a class action or already was. I dunno.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who is bringing suit and what is their greivance exaclty?

links man, links.

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one that I know of yet. Just wondering if this would be possible.

I think for a while there everyone thought the BIG 3 were unstoppable or going to be around for ever. What else is Detroit going to do for jobs with all these people sitting around. Either they are going to have to leave or the Detroit area needs to start getting a new identity. No longer the "Motor City".

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 787
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine, re-read his post and you'll see that nobody has actually filed any lawsuit. He was just asking a hypothetical question: "If the BIG 3 caused it all can we sue them..."

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The big three teamed up with Standard oil and a Tire company (Goodyear?) back in the 50s and bought up all the street cars and scrapped the rails in Detroit and surrounding areas. The intent was to force the people in the metro area to buy cars. The PCC rail cars were sold to Mexico City where some are still in use today. It's one of the best bold naked corporate greed stories of our history.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pics?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some info on the PCCs themselves, not the controversy.

http://www.sptc.spb.ru/detroit .htm

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The controversy involves many layers, voters, local governments, unions, state governments, etc.

The Big three really is a little blip in terms of this failed initiative.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't I see this in a movie once? Oh yeah, now I remember....."Who Framed Roger Rabbit." Good luck with the lawsuit KOD.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 781
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

California is trying to sue the three domestic producers for environmental legacy costs (damage) caused by decades of the vehicles produced by these (and the extinct "little 5" auto companies who somehow don't count because there are no perceived deep pockets to raid). Has anyone mentioned that the state of California also gleefully collected sales tax and yearly license fees on each and every one of those cars?

Hmmmmm..................

Being California, there WILL be a judge who will gladly agree to hear the case.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2369
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And don't forget all that tax on all the fuel those bad gas guzzlers consumed.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Mercury or Lincoln or something based in Cali?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 376
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Big 3 don't just decide what Detroit does or doesn't do, but they have historically had a lot of influence, and for good reason...

Going by your hypothetical, for a lawsuit to succeed, the situation would likely have to be that the elected officials wanted to build a transit system but the Big 3 took affirmative steps to purposely interfere with their ability to do so...

More likely, however, was that city felt that the best way to help their bread and butter industry was to ensure them millions of vehicle sales by NOT building a transit system, also considering that many if not most of the area's residents are able to purchase automobiles at a generous discount...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11003
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAS based in California. It lasted a few years I believe, moved back here either last year or the year before.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2370
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city made a conscious decision to shut down the street cars. The system needed a great number of very expensive upgrades at the time. The city decided that switching to busses would be cheaper in the long run. They were correct, it was cheaper to run busses than upgrade the streetcars. Unfortunately it had many unforseen side effects. This Falls under the old british saying of being pennywise and pound foolish.

You cannot sue a private company for a cities decisions.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in school...we had a trip to Toronto and met with the guy who helped develop their subway. He was also the man who helped design the Lodge Freeway.

He said that the Lodge Plan included hard rails for local and express trains...ie a "subway" or commuter train. This was all subsidized by the federal government.

He said that the big three and other large corporations lobbied heavily to have that portion of the project taken out.

Now, he was a million years old, but sharp. No dementia in '93. I have no reason to doubt him.

Maybe he could be a start witness? hehehe.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.