Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Sanders to open two new stores « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw an article in the paper this past weekend about Sanders/Morley Candy opening two new stores in the metro area. Unfortunately, i can't find the article online but i do have the Sanders link with the address of the new stores.

http://www.sanderscandy.com/in dex.htm

Hmmm!! Sanders....(drool)

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Laurel Park store has been there a while. Great to get the hot fudge cream puffs but LOVED getting the solid Sander's bunnies and coconut/jellybean nests at Easter! smileyeatbunny

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

beadgrl the site reminded me of the old Farrell Ice cream stores. I wonder if there are any of those left.
Anyway its great to see new Sanders stores opening.

Beadgrl

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hah! Love the chocolate bunny graphic! Solid chocolate bunnies are the only way to go!

I haven't been to Laurel Park in awhile...have to go drool there.

You can get the individually wrapped and boxed candy at Hiller's.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother worked for over 40 years at Sanders. They were looking for candy line workers; the manager went down the line and felt the hands of the workers. She was looking for cold hands, cold hands didn't leave fingerprints in the chocolates.

Another worthless bit of trivia on DY.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10975
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, Wyandotte. I can do downriver. :-)

Beadgrl

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, i had many a birthday party at Farrell's. We still have pics of me there with my family and my new Fonzie doll. Very 70's!

I know that Farrell's started in San Francisco. I think the original one might still be there. As for the chain, i think they're all closed up.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3183
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeze there's one right under our nose on the east side in Grosse Pointe....

I wonder if they also sell those yummy Tuna Fish sandwiches and water served in those metal stands with the paper cones that I remember as a kid... probably not.

Beadgrl

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering that too, Gistok. Good soup too. It's probably just a candy store, no table or counter service for food.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are four seats at the counter in GPP.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

forget the hooters, hustler club, cheesecake factory, and all of the other funk----now this is what is needed downtown----a sanders---right by that big ol skating rink----

Beadgrl

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think you have something there, Jjw!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3186
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, something that has summer outdoor cafe style seating.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to the one on Grand River off of Greenfield as a kid with my mom and my brother as a kid after shopping at Montgomery Wards, where my sister worked.Those were the days my friend....by the way, my other sister worked at the adjoining Kresge`s now that I think about it. Those really were the days, when the whole area there had some life in it....Crowleys, Federals,Himmelhochs, Hughes and Hatcher, if I recall, all kinda big name shops and now?

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok and other friends,

I'm afraid that the one at Laurel Park only has sweets - ice cream sundaes, chocolates, etc. I too miss the tuna sandwiches, the water in the metal cut with paper insert, the couple of chips and/or bread and butter pickles in a tiny paper cup - smaller than a dixie cup. Asked the counter staff at Laurel and they said that those days are gone for good because they're now just a subsidiary of Morley CANDY Co.

Last Sander's lunch counter I remember was in Livonia at Six and Newburgh. Sorry I didn't take advantage of it before it was gone...

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the old Sanders store is still standing and I think empty on Woodward across from Compuware, maybe they would think of re-opening it. That would be the sign that DETROIT is down but not out.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farrell's has two locations left; once there were 130:
http://www.happyitis.biz/Locat ions/currentlocations.htm

ObSanders: I could never imagine the women in Sanders uniforms encouraging you to eat "The Trough"

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus: The building that once housed the Sanders on Woodward across from where Compuware is today was razed in 2004. In its stead is a new parking garage with a CVS on the ground floor.

IIRC, the last operating Sanders store downtown was in the Ford Building on Griswold.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped by the Wyandotte location a couple of weeks ago. Good eats! I was hoping for a grilled cheese and a water in a paper cone held in a pewter holder, but no such luck.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many of us would love to be able to open a Sanders just the way it used to be!
Tuna sandwich, YAY!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4538
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba came up eating hot fundge sundaes at the Sanders, Fenkell and Wyoming. There's a gas station there now and the John C. Lodge Expy. slices underneath. In those day, James Cousins Pkwy. started at Wyoming, running west. This is way before the Expy. tore up jjaba's neighborhood.

As for Farrell's. Bob Farrell started his ice cream parlors at 1613 NE Weidler, Portland, Oregon. This store became known as Lloyd Center store. He lived nearby.

jjaba, jonsesing for a Sanders hot fudge puff and pewter water holder with Dixie cup insert. They served the coldest water too.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sanders is where I learned NOT to spin on the counter stools! I would wiggle from side to side a little and look sideways to see if mom was looking. SHE WAS ALWAYS LOOKING!

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for Farrell's. Bob Farrell started his ice cream parlors at 1613 NE Weidler, Portland, Oregon. This store became known as Lloyd Center store. He lived nearby.

I was too scared to go into the Farrell's where I lived. The monkey that played the drums (or symbols?) really freaked me out. My mom took me there for lunch for my fifth or sixth birthday. I cried the whole time.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I loved walking to the Sanders shop on Michigan just east of Schaefer in East Dearborn. Just around the corner my grandparents home.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.