Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Best Neighborhood for Christmas lights « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family and i love to drive around and look at all the Christmas lights and decorations on the houses. One of the best streets is Ellen Court in Livonia. Another good one is Pheasant Hills in Northville on 8 Mile near Beck Road.

What are some of your favorite neighborhoods for light viewing?

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakeshore Drive in the Pointes offers some great
Christmas light viewing.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beadgirl,

I second your vote for Ellen Street BUT, I wouldn't want to live there with the almost impossible traffic of folks looking at the lights AND I sure wouldn't want to pay their electric bills!

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We drove down Ellen one time a few years ago. What a traffic jam!

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Washington and 12 Mile in R.O.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Washington and 12 Mile in R.O.

Ugh, the disgusting Unger house.

... drive by in June and half the stuff is still there.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakeshore Drive. Lots and Lots of houses that go over the top

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakeshore / Jefferson in Grosse Pointe. There are plenty of other great displays throughout the pointes, but it's hard to pin down which neighborhoods are best. Some of the older mansions in GP Park look fantastic with Christmas lights.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3191
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 3 highlights in the Grosse Pointes on Lakeshore are 1) the corner of Moross & Lakeshore, 2) VanElslander mansion on the water side of Lakeshore about 1/3 mile north of Vernier, and 3) on the land side of Lakeshore about 1/4 mile south of Vernier. That last one is absolutely spectacular in white and red lights.

A spectacular subdivision is Villa Di Fiore on Millar Dr. in Clinton Twp. between Moravian and Garfield.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakeshore is amazing this time of year. The red lights are a little much and kinda burn my retinas. Drive by nonetheless because you won't see anything like it anywhere else !

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 541
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Rochester, Michigan Downtown.. They have strung over 30 downtown buildings in over 500,000 lights.. Trust me I have pics to prove it.. It is AMAZING to see! Well worth the trip!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why trust you when you can post the pics? (pretty please?)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

VanElslander mansion on the water side of Lakeshore about 1/3 mile north of Vernier

It's 950 Lake Shore, which is closer to 3/4 of a mile north of Vernier.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 613
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jefferson in Detroit between Cobo and the RenCen is beautiful. The 20 ft Christmas trees in the glass lobby of the RenCen are gorgeous. Campus Maurtius also has a Christmas Tree.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3198
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever Zephyr... it's hard to miss. It's 1/3 of the way between Vernier & 9 Mile.

(Message edited by Gistok on December 06, 2006)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: no worries, friend--just trying to make certain people find the place you helpfully suggested.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.