Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Using your cell phone could land you in jail. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noisy cell call lands party's host in jail

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard about in a long time. I definitely will be avoiding Eastpointe (East Detroit with attitude); their cops are crazy.

edit:

Actually, I misnamed the title of this thread because the woman receiving the jail time wasn’t even using the cell phone. She was inside, probably asleep.

(Message edited by Ramcharger on December 05, 2006)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cell phone did not land in jail her constant disturbances to her neighbors did.

Remember we live in a society where if one person is uncomfortable with you then you are a nuisance.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard about that incident from one of her friends. Of course he's not an objective outsider, but apparently she even had a petition from a bunch of other neighbors saying she was no nuisance, but the judge threw it out. This guy said it came down to one grumpy resident who calls the cops on everyone for every little thing.
If it's true, that one grouch better watch her tires.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 964
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This year the wife and I contracted to have a home built in a 55+ age restricted community (yeah, I'm an old fart). One of the reasons we moved is because a house behind us in the old neighborhood was occupied by a college student with the brains of a flea who had parties all hours of the night. Police were called more than once.

The quiet in our new digs is an absolute delight. No sirens, no boom boxes, no gunshots.......

Hey, some day you guys are gonna be old, too. :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3182
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having 20 friends come back to her house at 2:30 AM to go to sleep??? WTF???

Yup, alcohol, partying and all those people... that'll make one sleepy at 2:30 AM, won't it...

This doesn't sound like a problem with an overzealous police department... it sounds more like shutting down a noisy frat house!

(Message edited by Gistok on December 05, 2006)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you heard any recent stories about frat house inhabitants being given equivalent sentences?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frat houses are usually located amongst other frat houses and the neighbors don't care. If you move into a house near a frat house, I would suspect that you would know what the environment would be like. This person wasn't living near a frat house.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wash_man: I have no interest in defending the actions of those who may have been disturbing the peace in that neighborhood. I simply find the sentence wildly disproportionate to the offense

Wash_man

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard on the radio today, that this was the fourth time that night the police were called to the same house. This article doesn't mention that. I agree, though, the punishment doesn't really fit the crime.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 674
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care if they were called 100 times. If she was never charged, there must have been reasons. So, this is a first offense. Jail time for a noise complaint is outrageous. I'd be making a gigantic stink about this if I were her, making it very clear she doesn't want money (aside from maybe missed pay if she had a job, since she was jailed...) but I'd demand a formal apology from the city and the judge.

With jail overcrowding like it is today; with drug dealers, robbers, and assault & battery convicts being released early to save space, this is who we put in jail? A 23-year old who had a party?

Wash_man

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the judge has a reputation.
http://www.macombdaily.com/sto ries/120506/loc_jailed001.shtm l

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 973
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

welcome to the police State, you wont see me in East Detroit!

_sj_

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if you ever learn one thing about our judicial system and sentences It's that everything rides on the judge.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3185
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that the penalty doesn't fit the crime. But this may be more a problem of judicial excess rather than police overzealousness.

So why are you folks blaming the police force??

(Message edited by Gistok on December 05, 2006)

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok--I concur that the predominant excess resides with the judge's role, but the police are gatekeepers. NB: the police were going to leave the house without giving a citation until someone stepped outside with a cell phone:

quote:

Police were called to investigate a noise complaint, Scudder said, but no tickets were issued. When someone stepped out later to use a cell phone, an officer in the area moved in and ticketed Granata because she owned the house.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 676
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll tell you what, if the sentence sticks, I would go to that alcohol screening (not driving) carefully at .07 each and every day. Tell them to go fuck themselves. Oh, and I'd figure out a way to have overnight guests on a regular basis.

Why? Because as an adult citizen, the judge can't tell me I can't drink alcohol and the judge can't tell me who I can and can't have on my private property, or at what times.

Ridiculous. It'll be thrown out. Hopefully before it escalates into much higher courts, wasting everyone's time.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is having that picture of her on the Freep website part of her punishment also? Yikes.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 677
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how the freep has gotten away with posting those ridiculously distorted, badly resized, pixelated photos they've been using since their site redesign. It's horrid and it's amazing no one has said "we can't have this".

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your loss, Ramcharger.

Week Day Cafe has good lunches.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't know how the freep has gotten away with posting those ridiculously distorted, badly resized, pixelated photos they've been using since their site redesign. It's horrid and it's amazing no one has said "we can't have this".

Not only that, but they always give you a zoom button so you can examine the image's flaws in even more horrific detail!

Actually, I think recently they had another article with a much improved image. Maybe they're working on it.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10981
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading the second article in the Macomb Daily, I have to wonder how in the hell the Free Press could have printed that initial article. It was totally lacking facts surrounding the situation.

Wash_man

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 7 covered this story tonight. They said the judge was recently reprimanded for bringing her dogs to court. She now has to leave them home. She sounds a little off her rocker.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10984
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She sounds like "a joke."

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a while back Noreen Redmond -- though I'm not sure what her position within Eastpointe was at the time -- was leading a charge to restrict dancing, focusing her efforts on The Wired Frog, an alcohol-free venue for teens. This was while I was in high school and I remember there being a profanity-filled song some friends and I made up about Ms. Redmond and her intent to transform the club into the first Puritan disco. I remember also the Wired Frog getting some formerly apathetic 18-year-olds to go and vote thanks to the conflict.

I'm saddened to find that she is now a judge. I hope she resigns and that the clouds will clear, the soil will again be fertile, and that Eastpointe's citizens will have the opportunity to experience joy once more.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real issue I read into this article, actually, is tied to the responses. Those of you who live in Detroit would have an orgasm if you called the police for disturbing the peace, and they actually arrived and ticketed the culprit. To actually have police return 4 times to the same house for a disturbing the peace call would send you into a coma.

Granted, the punishment seems extreme, and will probably get reduced or thrown out, which is fine. But those of you bitching about the police in Eastpointe are ignoring the fact that they are enforcing the laws and trying to keep the quality of life in their community as high as possible. They ticket for speeding, running red lights, abandoned vehicles, drunk driving, walking on the streets as opposed to the sidewalks, disturbing the peace, etc, etc, etc. Police state my ass. Your jealous. You whine about the lack of police and enforcement of laws in Detroit, but complain that the laws are enforced to harshly in a neighboring community.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 680
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have nothing against her being cited. Well, aside from the fact that I hate that residents are cited, rather than offenders. But besides that, I have no problem with the citation and the court appearance. That's what always happened to noise violators when I was in college (WMU).

The only difference is, when we got one, you got a citation, went to court, were admonished as "rude" if the judge was having a bad day, and were given a fine. End of story.

No f-ing jail time. That's not enforcing the laws, that's a judge pushing her own agenda.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judge rages at media coverage

quote:

District Judge Norene Redmond on Wednesday lashed out at those who have criticized her decision to jail a first-time offender over a noise violation.
The 45-minute commentary came before Redmond released 23-year-old Carmen Granata from the Macomb County Jail. Granata had served 28 days of a 30-day sentence.

How dare the media or the public voice opinions on her decisions. It seems that she would prefer it if her cases were conducted in secret and news about them suppressed. She has fundamental misconceptions about the American Judicial system and should be removed from the bench as soon as possible.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's horse-squeeze Ramcharger, and you know it.

Read up on the background of the case here. It did a far better and balanced job in presenting the facts (in spite of the bloggers take on the case), and was very much plagiarized when the hacks at the news & macomb daily were writing their pieces in today's edition!

Based on what I've read, "Poor" Nicole Richie/Paris Hilton/Lindsay Lohan wanna-be Ms. Granata, has had several run-ins with the EPPD. The fact that she has had several run-ins, and wasn't arrested says quite a bit about the "police state" in Eastpointe.

The fact that one of her neighbors had their window smashed in retaliation, and a child nearly injured, "mysteriously" fell through the cracks.

The fact that supporters of Ms. Granata had threatened to raise all kinds of hell, not to mention the judge herself, curiously didn't appear to warrant any attention by the media.

I wonder if their little temper-tantrum rally is still on?

No one should have to put up with the B.S. of having being woken up at 4:00am just because their neighbors are ignorant of the concept of time!

I'll most likely be taking up an offer from a buddy of mine to go to their next city council meeting in Eastpointe. From what he tells me, it ought to be quite a show when the residents show up to tear into their cc for all jumping on the "poor-little-girl" bandwagon before the facts come in.

_sj_

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread shows exactly the sorry state that this country and the majority of populace have become. Oh poor Johnny, not my Johnny he is a good kid.

Bullshit you break the law, you pay for it. Deal with and get over it.

Same with the breast feeding non-sense, you only have to offend ONE person to make your actions offensive. Whether or not you feel you are being offensive does not make a difference.

Don't bitch because you beg for these laws and now are stuck under the issues they have created.

BTW, thrown out for what, what legal precedence did the judge break. You can not just appeal for fuck sake. You have to have a legal argument.

quote:

I'll tell you what, if the sentence sticks, I would go to that alcohol screening (not driving) carefully at .07 each and every day. Tell them to go fuck themselves. Oh, and I'd figure out a way to have overnight guests on a regular basis.

Usually ehen you forced to take these tests they have to be 0.00. Where should people come visit you when you put in jail for violating your terms and contempt of court. A judge can order to do anything they see fit under the law. Stop parading around like you actually make a difference on a topic you appear to know nothing about.

quote:

Why? Because as an adult citizen, the judge can't tell me I can't drink alcohol and the judge can't tell me who I can and can't have on my private property, or at what times.

I really hope you are joking.

(Message edited by _sj_ on December 14, 2006)

Ramcharger

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The fact that one of her neighbors had their window smashed in retaliation, and a child nearly injured, "mysteriously" fell through the cracks.

The fact that supporters of Ms. Granata had threatened to raise all kinds of hell, not to mention the judge herself, curiously didn't appear to warrant any attention by the media.

If these were indeed facts then they would have been presented as such in court; they were not. They, therefore, should have no bearing on the outcome or sentencing in this case.
This case aside, however, any judge that goes into a 45 minute rant about how everybody is dissing her has problems that her superiors (and possibly a shrink) need to address.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 694
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
quote:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

I really hope you are joking.

Sorry, not joking. I don't care if that's how it is, that's ridiculous. If I can have my rights as a citizen stripped because SOMEONE ELSE was talking on a cell phone on my property, something is wrong.

Write her a ticket, she'll have her day in court, she'll pay, then we'll call it a day. I don't see why this is so complicated.

You are not an offender until you are convicted. That makes her a first-time offender. If it was such a nuisance before, she should have had official punishment before. Ticket for first offense, stiffer penalty and court appearance (with necessary admonishment) for second offense, then jail for third. Or jail for second, I could care less. But jail time plus probation for a first offense on a noise complaint is out of control. I didn't say her conviction should be overturned, just the punishment. I refuse to budge on this.

And I would propose to you that YOU stop parading around like YOU know everything.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

quote:

If these were indeed facts then they would have been presented as such in court; they were not. They, therefore, should have no bearing on the outcome or sentencing in this case.
This case aside, however, any judge that goes into a 45 minute rant about how everybody is dissing her has problems that her superiors (and possibly a shrink) need to address.

Slight problem there, Ramcharger:

- The brick through the window is still under investigation. That's why it wasn't presented in court.

- The threats against the judge's life came to light after the Ms. Granata went before the court.

- Given that the articles on this story were one-sided due to the fact that this is still a pending/open case...the judge could not speak before this time. The media knew this, and ran with the story anyway.

I would've recommended that she taken at least 3-4 times that just to make sure that the hacks got the message right in the paper.

Focusonthed, there was a lot more going on than just one phone call at 4:00am.

Click on the link above and read about what happened.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read through the court documents on that link. I understand the case, and I'm not saying she's innocent and didn't deserve punishment. I'm saying she didn't deserve the punishment she GOT. Big difference.

And if it comes to light that she is responsible for any of the vandalism or threats, that's different entirely, but she can't be held responsible for acts that others committed.

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How funny I'm reading this thread today.
Just yesterday, to celebrate then end of classes, I invited over 30 friends in my small apartment right on State and Washington (dense residential area) in Ann Arbor.
As you could imagine, things got out of control, drunkards puking outside my door, students throwing bottles out the window and music blasting until 3AM. Finally, three police cars show up (not campus police but Ann Arbor Police) and warn me about the noise. The police officer told me they had recieved no less than 10 phone calls in the past 10mn.
I had a talk with them outside and promised to keep it down. I finally kicked out 15 students approx, kept the music low... at 3:30. The matter was peacefully resolved.

What happened to this young lady is simply unacceptable and insane.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman_in_the_d, again there was more to the story than was being told to the public.

That having been said, do they just give "journalists" their diplomas now, or do they actually make them do something in order to receive it?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was this judge appointed or elected?

Wouldnt such a cruel punishment violate the 8th amendment of the constitution?

I am frankly amazed by all of this, I go to MSU the states premier party school where thousands of MIP's and noise violations are handed out every semester and I have never heard of such an extreme punishment for any of these offenses.

This judge is a nut case and if she is popularly elected she might as well kiss her seat goodbye. And before all of you go on "We don’t know all of the facts of the case" and blah blah know that I know some people charged with the possession of illegal substances, assault, etc who don’t face 30 days in jail. I don’t even think some drunk driving charges will have you do 30 days and all of these offenses listed can KILL someone.

First they drop Detroit from their name and now this, Eastpointe sucks.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on December 15, 2006)

Mcp001

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick internet search said that she was elected.

"Cruel punishment"?

Ms. Granata could've been a guest of the Macomb County lockup for 90 days, instead of just 30.

She could've been fined $500 for what she did, instead of just $300.

That is in addition to other fees & court costs that would've been imposed no matter what.

Not only that, but the judge let her go to work in the daytime while she served her sentence.

As for all of the other offenses that you've listed, from what my friend told me, the judge isn't too lenient with those types.

She threw the book at some scumbag who was showing off at a Veteran's Day Parade last month and drove his bike into a crowd.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8th Amendment - "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted. "

I think you would have a hard time making the case that $300 is excessive, or that the punishment was unusual, given the fact that her fine and sentence were ultimately less than the maximum that the judge could impose.

That aside, her neighbors have a right to enjoy their houses without the disruption that she was causing. I've lived in a situation where the "party house" on the street was near my house, and I'll tell you what, it sucks. Vehicles burning rubber at 2 or 3 in the morning, tearing down the street, loud parties, people outside yelling at the top of their lungs in the middle of the night, always different people coming and going. Crap thrown on your lawn ALL OF THE TIME. All of you who are critical of her neighbors spend a few months where the first thing that you do almost EVERY morning is pick up a bunch of other people's garbage from your lawn. Broken bottles, fastfood wrappers, used condoms.... It's disgusting.

Not to mention the fact that you also live with the knowledge that if you call the police and complain, you will probably end up with a set of tire tracks across your lawn from one of this person's guests, or a brick through your car window (which apparently has already happened in this case).

Focusonthed

Post Number: 702
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She SHOULD have been fined the $500 maximum, but not gotten the jail time, IMO.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judge Redmond is front page news.

Tough judge

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 865
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link to the court documents from the judge's site

http://www.judgeredmond.com/06 B107898.htm

(Message edited by D-Day on December 16, 2006)

Mcp001

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!

When I was unloading this morning, I was under the impression that the writer actually had something new to write about the case.

Sadly, there was nothing new here aside of a big splash photo across the front page accompanied with the same info that was reported earlier this week.

And people wonder why our circulation is dropping like a stone.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.