Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » US Manufacturers Desperate for Skilled Workers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U.S. manufacturers getting desperate for skilled people

"...U.S. manufacturing production last year totaled $1.5 trillion, or 12% of gross domestic product, the broadest measure of economic activity within U.S. borders."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/ economy/employment/2006-12-05- skilled-workers-shortage_x.htm

While Michigan's workforce is recruited away to Wyoming...

Wyoming wins over Michigan job seekers

http://www.usatoday.com/money/ economy/employment/2006-12-04- wyoming-job-seekers-michigan_x .htm

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 774
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yet executives making seven figures + stock options don't want to pay skilled (technically educated) workers "all that money".

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good article! Maybe the guys running the big three will read it and realize there are people left in the country that actually know how to run a business.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, hard to run a business with a ~$10,000 loss on every vehicle applied to employees pushing prices too high and forcing non-employees to pay a subsidy.

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the fact that Michigan is seemingly unable to attract these types of manufacturing jobs due to:

1. Lack of a diversified manufacturing base
2. Lack of a diversified skill set base in the human capital space as it relates to manufacturing
3. Unions
4. The SBT and Michigan's terrible reputation for an anti-business climate.
5. The entitlement mentality that pervades the State in general

Cambrian

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is peculiar how GM or Ford loses money on Impalas and Tauruses, while Toyota makes money hand over fist on the Camry. Must be the Union's fault right? Go right on believing that if you wish. But the people working in Plants down south aren't working for nothing. Last I heard as the company does better, so does the pay and the profit sharing. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the workers in Nissan and Toyota plants are'nt bringin' down 80K / yr. And it's not hurting the japs profits in the least. That's the difference between good leadership and bad leadership.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The taxes and other costs associated with manufacturing in Europe is much higher than in the United States, yet goods, including autos are manufactured in Europe at a profit. Unions are the scapegoat of corporations that have mismanaged and failed to produce products that are attractive and competitive against the competition.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C_brain, it's about SKILLED workers. Not cannon fodder assembly line workers. If you actually had a skill, you, too, could move to Georgetown. Make 80k,buy a Tundra to replace the mopar. Life would be good. Why don't you do it?

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gmich, while I agree that unions are not entirely to blame for the current crisis MI is in, is it the fault of corporations for having to pay $67/hr to people without a Degree and limited skill sets? As this puts them in a severely disadvantageous position on cost, does it not make sense that the tens of billions of dollars allocated towards wages and healthcare that are not made available in the private sector by comparison could have instead been spent on something like R&D? This would have enabled these corporations to make 'products that are attractive and competitive against the competition'. Wouldn't you agree?

Cambrian

Post Number: 375
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

80k / yr is the unskilled grunts manning the nut runners. The skilled labor down there would be over a $100K I'm sure. I'm set to graduate in Spring. Currently debating whether I'll relocate for available work or roll the dice and get the Masters in 14 mos after that.

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C-B, you sound like you're going to be a Conservative right quick. Once you get your head right, let the rest of us know where you live, we'll have a welcoming party.

I hope the Masters isn't in Woman's Studies. EWWW.

Cambrian

Post Number: 377
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw I had a master's of women's studies going back to when I was 18. Lotso fun, but does not pay well.

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EWWWW. Now I have to go shower in lacquer thinner. Union made? Not sure. Is there a Brotherhood of Lacquer Thinner Makers?

Don't you learn? Stay away from the wimmen.

_sj_

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get your masters if you can afford the cost and the time.

quote:

That is peculiar how GM or Ford loses money on Impalas and Tauruses, while Toyota makes money hand over fist on the Camry. Must be the Union's fault right? Go right on believing that if you wish. But the people working in Plants down south aren't working for nothing. Last I heard as the company does better, so does the pay and the profit sharing. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the workers in Nissan and Toyota plants are'nt bringin' down 80K / yr. And it's not hurting the japs profits in the least. That's the difference between good leadership and bad leadership.

A little math

Big Three Car
Price of Materials + Employee Wages($1,000) + Employee Health Care($1,250)+Employee Discount(~$6,000) = Huge amount of non-profit costs associated with the car. To make a profit they need to look at the cost and triple it.

Stock Impala Employee Price ~ $21,000
Public Price ~ $21,000++++++

Stock Camry Price ~ $18,000
Public Price ~ 18,000

Both of the cars are desirable but outside of the family, friends, brother, sister, dog plan no one is going to continue to overpay for that Impala.

Employee buys a Stock Impala @ 21K, First 10K+ is spoken for. And it is not also accounting for employee pension costs. It has nothing to do with who is smarter it has to do with basic business understanding.

One more fact, GM sold ~230k cars in 2005, Camry was sold ~430k times in the US. The Camry outsold all Ponitac brands combined in 2005.

Just keep on blaming management only while employee costs are in the Billions each year and sales continue to drop on their overpriced autos.

The Toyota Manufacturing process is considered the best in the world. Denying that the UAW is not one of the impediments to adopting the full process is due to your rose colored glasses.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The combined market capitalization of GM and Ford totals around $25 billion, whereas Toyota's capitalization got over $200 billion for its first time early this year. Other foreign auto firms have more net worth than GM or Ford. Obviously, some companies are beating the two remaining US auto companies at their own game, even when building some of their vehicles in the US.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM Market cap: $17.05 billion
Ford Market Cap: $14.51 billion
Combined market cap: $31.56.
You were only off by about $6.5 billion.

FYI: Harley Davidson's market cap is: $19.12 billion

(Message edited by brandon48202 on December 05, 2006)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM's capitalization at EOY 2005 was quite lower than now. Still, Toyota alone was over $200 billion in early 2006.

And there's still another segment of Toyota that wasn't included in that. It's also larger than most other auto firms.

Cambrian

Post Number: 380
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, what do the market caps mean?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Market capitalization is an approximation of how much a publicly traded company is worth on a stock market.

Cambrian

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I see. So, the lower the share price, the lower the market cap. Or the combined value of all the shares? Does that include brick and mortar capital too, or just share value?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The UAW contract talks with the Big 3 that are coming up will tell us a lot about the future of those companies.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Net worth obviously. Share prices are usually set (by forward or reverse stock splits) to keep their various prices within a usual price range (under $100 or so).

If I owned the one and only share of Ford, I'd still be a multi-billionaire, so I wouldn't complain--as long as I could sell it...

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5294
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am truly enjoying this thread and will refrain from posting (applause from the loon left heard here, thank you very much) other than this - GREAT discussion & fact posting, with the post of the week (and a # of close runner-ups) right here:

FortressW said: "C-B, you sound like you're going to be a Conservative right quick. Once you get your head right, let the rest of us know where you live, we'll have a welcoming party.

I hope the Masters isn't in Woman's Studies. EWWW."

Then: "EWWWW. Now I have to go shower in lacquer thinner. Union made? Not sure. Is there a Brotherhood of Lacquer Thinner Makers?"

Special thanks to MrJ, sj and Livernois for their usual well-thought-out and factual posts (if you happen to appreciate fact-filled, well thought out posts, that is)

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Market cap is the selling price of the shares times the total number of shares. Market cap is, at best, a crude metric of a company's value since it reflects merely the current share selling price of the shares available on the market at this time (which represent a fraction of the total number of shares of the company). In the event of ALL a company's shares trading at the same time, well that would certainly effect it's market price so market cap is an artificial stat (kinda like a middle reliever's ERA's in baseball).

What a company is actually "worth" is certainly different from it's market cap: consider Google's market cap vs Lucent's market cap right now ... it is quite likely Lucent's realestate holdings in central NJ ALONE are "worth" more in actually real hard $ than all of Google (but, for those of us who haven't sold our GOOG it it has certainly been a fun ride so far, also this doesn't mean that LU is a buy either) Yay Stock Market! ...

Cambrian

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is interesting. Thanks for the lesson on the Stock Market. Now onto my gripe pertaining to the domestics whining they are hamstrung by supporting retirees in the from of paying pensions:

1. These same retirees added to the bottom line of their company in the good old days and should expect every right to be provided for in their golden years.

2. When I had the Pleasure (Ha! If you could call it that) of working for GM, numerous abuses existed in the white collar world where I worked, like: Engineers and managers taking early retirements, even as young as 50 years old, where they collect nearly full pay and benefits until their pensions and SS kick in. To add insult to injury, these guys would "Double Dip" That is while collecting these perks, they would be allowed to rehire in as contractors in the same department, getting wages that matched or exceeded their pre retirement pay.

If they chose not to rehire in their jobs too some extent minimal would be absorbed by the surrounding staff, but often time someone else would be assigned to it. That meant some one else needed to be recruited. Yes that still happens today, no matter how much we are told no new jobs are added people are being hired all the time. So now we as consumers are paying the bill to have the fifty year old white collar guy sit on a beach, plus the paycheck for the 24 year old fresh out the MBA program. So that extra three thousand you spend on the Impala vs. the Camry goes to pay for these Management Fubars they try to pass off as spending too much on UAW people. If they could not afford to have the 50 year old engineer retire, make him work until his retirement age of 67, Therefore no need to replace him with that 24 yo MBA.

_sj_

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only $3,000 if you are an employee. It at least another $5,000-$10,000 for non-employees at the minimum.

Cambrian, one more difference in your post is that mostly UAW pensions are funded by hard money. The stock value or company finances really do not effect their pensions. The White Collar workers are mostly the exact opposite, they are funded completely with company stock if they are not careful and manage their pensions correctly or know someone who can drive them in the right direction.

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I return to my original question: why is it that Michigan does not have a diversified base of manufacturing jobs available? Other Midwestern states seem to be utilizing their manufacturing capacity to much greater effect.

_sj_

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many would argue with you saying that Michigan is actually very diverse when it comes to Manufacturing.

quote:

Michigan is known as the nation’s automotive capital — 23 percent of total U.S. vehicle production occurs here. More than 700 auto suppliers call Michigan home; that’s more than 50 percent of the North American auto supplier base.

But our state features a diverse array of manufacturing firms — both “traditional” manufacturers and advanced manufacturers. More than half of the $8.9 billion worth of office furniture systems made in the U.S. in 2004 were produced by Michigan companies. We rank fourth in the nation for plastics shipments and number of employees in the plastics industry.

Growth in our life sciences sector, including companies manufacturing pharmaceuticals and other medical therapies, exceeds the U.S. average, expanding 27 percent in employment, 32 percent in number of companies and 165 percent in sales. And Michigan companies are already playing a leading role in the development and production of homeland security equipment, such as improved body armor, concrete strengthening systems, portable tracking and communication systems and advanced detection systems. Our strong research and development and manufacturing capabilities make Michigan a natural leader in this emerging industry.

Despite predictions of the manufacturing industry’s decline in Michigan, established and emerging manufacturing companies are aggressively positioning themselves to be global leaders and proving they are “in the game” for the long term.

From the MMA.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Despite predictions of the manufacturing industry’s decline in Michigan, established and emerging manufacturing companies are aggressively positioning themselves to be global leaders and proving they are “in the game” for the long term.

From the MMA."

If only those words could be turned into action and increase the workforce instead of merely hanging on to a declining manufacturing sector. 2007/2008 are predicted to be awash in manufacturing job elimination--much worse than the past couple years in that regard. August and September 2007 will herald this with the next UAW contracts.

What UAW's Gettelfinger says and what will really happen are two entirely different animals, indeed.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob is right, the 2007 UAW contract talks will determine whether Big Three will remain viable.

If UAW was smart, they would offer up flexible work rules(the kind they had to for DCX Dundee engine plant) to every Big Three plant. Meaning, electrician can be told to drive forklift, millwright may have to work assy. line during busy rushes.

Re: market caps of GM, Ford , Toyota. The relative debt situation really hurt Ford and GM when S&P, Moodys, downgraded them. I remember GM had quite a bit of outstanding debt in bonds, loans. The same applies to Ford. Is Toyota debt free?

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Meaning, electrician can be told to drive forklift, millwright may have to work assy. line during busy rushes."

Incredible, I had heard about these 'rules' but couldn't fathom anything so stupid possibly being true. What a terrible organization.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone posted the employee discount at $6,000.00...
i work for the Germans in Auburn Hills and on each of the 3 DCX cars ive purchased, the discount amounted to what the sales tax/title fees would be on those cars. nowhere near $6,000.00...

also, in my plant of 275 hourly employees, we have 17 supervisors and managers. then we have 3 department managers, and 2 environmental guys who make sure that the used lightbulbs are put in a certain type cardboard container and that only a certain type of paper is put in the recycle boxes (which i BELIEVE is then thrown in the compactor!). then we have the plant manager and an operations manager. thats a 13.75:1 ratio. all of these salary guys got profit sharing of 8.4% to 97% (of what they earned thru-out the year). $180,000 plus 97% is A LOT OF MONEY. and it wasnt the Union members getting it...

theres lots of blame to go around...

_sj_

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i work for the Germans in Auburn Hills and on each of the 3 DCX cars ive purchased, the discount amounted to what the sales tax/title fees would be on those cars. nowhere near $6,000.00...

I have received employee discounts on DCX cars which are all I drive and they have been $6,000 on a Cherokee and a Durango. A Friends Discount was $3,000 on a 300.

It all depends on the car.

For example:

Straight from Chysler:
MSRP Employee
2005 Crossfire 30,070 23,832
2005 Sebring Cvt 30,165 26,100
2006 T&C minivan 21,985 17,785
2006 Durango SXT 29,925 23,129
2006 Wrangler SE 19,050 16,871

Industry Average Employee discounts are between 10-20%.

Look into todays paper I am sure you will find a minivan for around $89 a month.

I once called a dealership on a price quote in the paper, turned out it was a mis-print. It was only an employee price of $139 a month, I asked the public price and responded $412 a month. Think about next time someone you know is getting laid off and you are crying about some guys salary.

Ford bought out 38,000 workers.

For some perspective, 38k workers @ $20 an hour, 40 hours a week for 52 weeks is over 1 Billion dollars a year. No company can carry those kinds of liabilities will giving their overpriced products away.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southeast Michigan is also desperate for good public mass transit. Instead of raising taxes for this, we should find skilled transportation professionals who can do the job at a low enough cost to make our region competitive with other regions first.

Or, we will continue to lose more jobs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.