Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Is Currents Open? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 963
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello All,

A friend of mine was planning a Holiday Party at Currents. She just got word from them that they are closed. Anybody have any details?

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know my brother left his car down there overnight, and the window was smashed out and his car looted. That was in currents parking lot.

Moral of the story - Don't leave you car downtown overnight.

PS - Don't know if it is closed or not. That all happened 2 months ago, but I assume it is open.

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 716
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why don't you call and ask them? It's really that easy.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

why don't you call and ask them? It's really that easy.

Not here it isn't.

quote:

I know my brother left his car down there overnight, and the window was smashed out and his car looted.

Pics?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3352
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that is anywhere in the downtown Detroit only...

smdh @ the PSA

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 964
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, knowing bars in this town, there is a very good chance they don't keep regular hours. When I called during lunch they did not answer.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no pics, only broken glass and 1 unanswered police call

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents parked one of their cars outside their house in Chesterfield Twp. They had a window smashed out of their car and the contents of the car were run through one night.

Bottom line: don't park your car outside in the suburbs.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, no, crime in Detroit is WAY higher than any suburb, or, any American city for that matter.

Quit sugarcoating everything for saying it happens in "X" suburb. Sure, for every Chesterfield Twp crime you find, I can found thousands in Detroit

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10970
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime would naturally be higher than in any suburb, considering Detroit is about 10x or more bigger than any suburb.

Are you an Ivy League grad or something, we don't get folks with your superior intelligence up in here often.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, in Detroit we just ignore crime. It doesnt exist. No problems here.

Ohh, but those suburbs,yea my car got broken into once! Oh no!!

Forget about the 400 murders this year and the 1500 nonfatal shootings... Thats just the media pissing on Detroit

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, SS, the size doesnt matter. Per capita, Detroit is still the most crime ridden place around

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 621
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has nothing to do with ignoring crime. But refuting an untrue blanket statement. While you are more likely to have car broken into in Detroit, that doesn't means leaving you car outside equals an automatic break in.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but leaving your car in a parking lot overnight is almost asking to have it broken into. I, personally, have left my car many places overnight in my life. I know not to do it in a downtown detroit parking lot that empties out at 2:00 am. My brother unfortunately did leave it there. (He is a dying breed that still takes a cab if he goes out drinking) Of all the HUNDREDS of times and places he has left his car overnight, it happened the first time he left it overnight in Detroit. A 100% efficiency rate.

I was simply pointing out that Current's may not be a good place to leave your car over night, but you all had to go and get me fired up!

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitduo, you say that if you complain about Detroit's crime stats, "we don't want you here."

That kind of attitude drives away people who might otherwise move to the city. Would you prefer to have people in the city who actually cared about the fact that the city had one of the highest crime rates in the country, and who might hold elected officials accountable, or would you prefer a city full of people indifferent to crime, who allow their communities to be torn apart without caring? Everyone, whether Detroit residents or not, should care about the crime rate, because it impacts the cities perception, and the lives of its citizens.

And you know what? High crime rates do not primarily affect suburban dwellers who come to the city. Rather, it affects the city's poorest citizens, who have to make their homes like jails to prevent theft, and who must always worry about the safety of themselves and their belongings.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone ever figure out if Currents is open or closed??

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe someone should take a trip downtown and see for themselves if Currents is open. If not, support some other establishment. About crime, you should be able to leave your car anywhere locked and secure without some piece of trash stealing it.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it was closed over the long Thanksgiving weekend. I haven't been by since. There is nothing on their web site events calander for the next two months. I would take that as a bad sign.

(Message edited by leland_palmer on December 05, 2006)

Scardetroit
Username: Scardetroit

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to stop by over this last weekend and there was a sign on the door that said "Closed until further notice, thank you for your patronage."

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 774
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, I said, "If you don't LIKE Detroit's Crime stats..." Everyone can complain about it (and they DO).

Honestly I have nothing constructive to say. You are right. I have a bad attitude. But Detroit is NOT it's suburbs nor EVER will be. Detroit is Detroit, with it's Beautiful terriblness. Yes, I want the crime rate to drop and the neighborhoods to improve, etc... But to have people complain that they left their car and it got broken into and they "Should have known better, because it's Detroit" is really a better attitude? The "I like to party there until before 2am and leave the city limits before any trouble begins" is constructive?

No. Honestly, this forum and all the bitching and whining that goes on in it is tiring. I completely understand the people who have left this forum. I'd rather go on living in the City than continue spending valuable time here, talking about it.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon now, the crime in the city is SOOOO gritty, so "real," so edgy... it's what makes living in Detroit so much better than anywhere else.

Oh, if you live within the city limits, you're automatically tougher than those who live north of 8 Mile. And it's SOOOO cool to be thought of as "tough."

"Beautiful terribleness," RIIIIIGHT.

They still sell those "Detroit: Where The Weak Are Killed And Eaten" T-shirts?

Pathetic.

Etxray
Username: Etxray

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had an event planned there Nov. 24 and got a call from the owner that they are having a major dispute with the building owner and will be closed untill further notice.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's too bad about Currents. They sunk a lot of money into renovating that place about a year ago. It's really beautiful inside.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'd rather go on living in the City than continue spending valuable time here, talking about it.

I thought you lived in Germany.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 654
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, currents IS closed. There was a dispute with an investor who then pulled out. Consequently, there was a dispute with the landlord because they didn't have the money to pay the rent. Anyway... they are looking for another investor or to sell it.

On the crime issue...downtown Detroit...or the area bordered by 75 on the North 375 on the east the River on the South and M-10 on the West actually has lower crime than the national average...and it's been going down.
Here is a link to a study that shows among other things that we have less crime than the national average and that our crime rate has been steadily decreasing.
http://www.tedconline.com/uplo ads/Downtown_Detroit_Crime_Stu dy_2006.pdf

"CONCLUSION:
The perception of Downtown Detroit as unsafe is false. The above statistics show that
Detroit is as safe if not safer than many other areas. While Downtown Detroit is not
immune from crime, the actual risk faced by residents, workers and visitors is quite low.
In fact, the DVA’s crime rate is lower than that of the United States and State of
Michigan."

The majority of our crimes are break and grabs from cars. Though that sucks, I'm glad that our criminals for the most part take things instead of lives.

Supersport

Post Number: 10978
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

C'mon now, the crime in the city is SOOOO gritty, so "real," so edgy... it's what makes living in Detroit so much better than anywhere else.

Oh, if you live within the city limits, you're automatically tougher than those who live north of 8 Mile. And it's SOOOO cool to be thought of as "tough."

"Beautiful terribleness," RIIIIIGHT.

They still sell those "Detroit: Where The Weak Are Killed And Eaten" T-shirts?

Pathetic.

Still bitter over getting dragged against your will to Royal Oak? I would be too. Look at it this way, you ALMOST got MTV's Real World, yet apparently they found the place not worthy. At least you have the yuppies on their Harleys once a week, so ya got that going for ya. If that doesn't scream "edgy, gritty, and real" then I don't know what does.

Fury13

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport,

I guess you have to be really, really, really young for "edgy, gritty, and real" to be so appealing.

Been there, done that. A few times.

Supersport

Post Number: 10983
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps the word you were looking for was "younger," eh old timer? :-)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If that doesn't scream "edgy, gritty, and real" then I don't know what does.

Sure you do. It's walking 2 dogs and packing a Glock. How soon they forget.

Fury13

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. "Really, really, really, young" does it nicely.

;)

Supersport

Post Number: 10988
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a wink? You in Ferndale now? heh

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK then. That's enough of this forum for a few months.

Roaringmouse
Username: Roaringmouse

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't this thread about Currents???

Supersport

Post Number: 10998
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but they closed, it was confirmed, so now the floor is open for discussion. Anything you wanna talk about?

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how bout them lions???

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need a permanent free-to-veer-off-topic thread for freely discussing ... er ... belly button lint! :-)

Roaringmouse
Username: Roaringmouse

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hot hot tubs?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel more stupid for having read this thread.

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn that sucks...that's are Rugby teams Bar. Well at least I got to smoke a blunt on the roof patio....ballin'

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.