Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » GAR Building Developer Chosen « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the Illiches win.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061204/NEW S99/61204022

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 693
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering their track-record with buildings like the Madison-Lenox and the UA, it's the logical choice.

Adios, Grand Army of the Republic.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody's favorite downtown redevelopers

Bob

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if there are stipulations that they actually have to redevelop the building, not tear it down for another parking lot.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4797
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, for just this once realize that he pretty much has to renovate this one. This building is not the Madison Lenox, and I hope you all realize what I mean by that.

(Message edited by lmichigan on December 04, 2006)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's take a poll:

A) redeveloped GAR to include Olympia Entertainment offices (as claimed in the article)

B) building sits and rots, Ilitches get City subsidy for demolition. Landscaped and lighted parking lot for new hockey barn is constructed.

C) GAR Building converted into Little Caesars "pizza" outlet

D) other (please specify)

(Message edited by DaninDC on December 04, 2006)

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well considering the original RFP specified redevelopment and Olympia has outlined a concrete plan for development, its pretty clear that this one isnt going to bite the dust...the site is not really big enough for a new parking lot...a $220,000 parking lot? no...its obvious what they're doing with this one

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much space does Olympia take up in the Fox? I guess I ask because I'm relatively ignorant on how these things work, and want to know if the GAR's redevelopment will have any negative effect on the Fox.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well considering they're also moving offices to the Detroit Life Building (Olympia in general, not just development)...so my guess is that they're expanding

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Apbest, I hadn't really followed the Life renovations much yet, end of the semesters killed my free time. I heard it was being renovated, but I didn't realize it was for Olympia's use.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4799
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if they do move part of their company out of the Fox (if this is not an expansion), does anyone actually think they'd have a hard time filling back in the space in the Fox? No way. That's like the argument that the creation of One Kennedy Square hurt Comerica Tower. Comerica Tower will have no problem attracting tenants to its Class A space. And, yeah, Olympia Development is the development arms of Olympia Entertainment, or is it Ilitch Holdings? I think its the latter.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 962
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's gonna make one awesome Caesar Land!

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Dan's poll, I believe that option A is the most likely. The Ilitches got so much grief from the Madison-Lenox debacle that I don't think they want to go through something like it again.

Although, I think option C is still a possibility.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stipulations on the bidding process guarantee repossession if the building isnt revamped within a given time frame , I dont think we have to worry about it being torn down or sitting vacant.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where does the GAR sit vis-a-vis the so-called "behind the Fox" site for a speculated new hockey arena?

I not sure what the expected boundaries are for a possible hockey arena site behind the Fox.

Danindc

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they should paint it, and make it into the flyest White Castle ever.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4802
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, we're talkin', Dan. Someone do a photoshop mock-up of a White Castle in the GAR, stat!

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really wanted to see the building redeveloped for use by the general public.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3179
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure it'll look great when they're done with it (restoration that is!). Isn't there going to be some public use (as well as offices)? Part of the stipulation was some public space for a GAR memorial of sorts.

Ilitch will fix up the GAR and Life Buildings, and do a good job of it. What worries me is his remaining theatre buildings.... the United Artists and Adams.

Gistok

Post Number: 3180
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GAR is situated at a prime crossroads.... Grand River, Cass and Adams. No worry about losing it for a hockey arena. Those 3 streets cannot be blocked off.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4804
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there will be public use at the first floor in the GAR memorial I'd imagine.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the Illiches win.

About time the city finally let them have their way with something. Frankly, I'm shocked. Frankly, I'm sarcastic.

The Ilitches got so much grief from the Madison-Lenox debacle that I don't think they want to go through something like it again.

I don't think they could care less. That said, I don't see them tearing it down. I think they'll keep it. But I don't think fear of public outcry is going to be a factor in their decision.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about trying to read tea leaves?

Does this in any way point to Ilitich trying to build a new hockey arena in the area or is this unrelated happenstance?

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc on the art note: I've always dreamed of doing square trompeloeil paintings in round rooms. The three turrets of the GAR building would benefit from this illusion and give the inhabitants that spinning room feeling one gets after a night of adult beverages.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4805
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emu, it's my view that this is part of an arena project. At the location it currently stands, it would make no sense to renovate this on its own, or even the Detroit Life Building, if this is not part of a greater redevelopment plan for that area. I would alos like to ask you what you ask everyone else, and that is for yourself to read between the lines, and put together pieces of the puzzle. Put that mind to some use.

(Message edited by lmichigan on December 04, 2006)

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the Illiches will restore the building.

Evidence seems to indicate that Atanas Ilitch is preservation minded.

I believe we will see an Arena plan announced soon, and I think it will be pretty interesting.

Ficano's announcement about a Cobo expansion was well timed, maybe a little too well timed.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no Superbowl in the near future, so Illitch won't have an excuse to tear down this one.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 628
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(sigh..) Expect work to start in 2015.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me, this is idiotic. If there were willing, financially-backed parties anxious to renovate THIS building, why can't the Illitches spend $2 million on one of the abandonned buildings they already own?!

Gistok

Post Number: 3181
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably because Ilitch already owns the parking lot next to the building (Cass/Adams lot). There is absolutely no parking attached to the GAR property. No Ilitch involvement equates to a lesser chance of success.

Danindc

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

To me, this is idiotic. If there were willing, financially-backed parties anxious to renovate THIS building, why can't the Illitches spend $2 million on one of the abandonned buildings they already own

Probably because their other buildings each require a lot more than $2 million worth of work.

Bob

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they would have taken care of those properties in the first place, they would not be in the shape they are in.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was referring more to the choice of Illitch versus a different firm. Yes $2 million wouldn't put a dent in many of thier holdings in their neglected state, but what's to say they won't sit on this one for 10 years and con the City into paying for demolition because it is "too far deteriorated" to save. Sound familiar?

Allow someone else to get in on this property, and encourage the Illitches to work on what they've got. That would make most sense to me if I were part of the selection committee.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4818
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did it occur to you that their plan may have very well been the most feasible and solid of the six? After all, they already have a main tenant lined up (i.e. themselves), and they have the wherewithal.

Fastforce87
Username: Fastforce87

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my opinion it would benefit the city much more to hand it off to someone else who doesn't already have 100 rotting buildings. The Ilitch's practically own every fifth building in downtown Detroit and have yet to make improvements on many of them. I think that the selection committee has made a mistake and will continue to make mistakes, because lets be honest, these are the same people who approved the sale of so many other landmarks.

I agree with Lmichigan as well, I bet Ilitch came in with an amazing, unbelievable plan. But that's just what it is, unbelievable. I don't think that this will turn into a hockey arena anytime soon because Grand River, Cass, and Adam are all very important streets, but I also don't expect for Ilitch to "jump" onto this anytime soon.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.