Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » RenCen restaurant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the restaurant at the top of the RenCen open? Does it still revolve?

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has re-opened under a new name, Coach Insignia, and no, it no longer revolves. But the food is good.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 609
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seldom Blue is another upscale restaurant in the RenCen. It is about three floors above ground and offers views of the river.

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, I am visiting from Charleston for Christmas and want to take my girlfriend somewhere unique. I know there are better restaurants all over, but I am going for the view. Plus, she is from Atlanta and the RenCen is a John Portman building, who is from there.
I love bringing new people to the city to change their views about the city.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, as far as "better restaurants" go, I'd say Coach Insignia is definitely up there (ha ha).

Great wine list, unique entrees, excellent service and of course the view is unlike any place else. Seldom Blues has a great ambiance, but I'd say the food isn't quite as good. Andiamo Riverfront is outstanding for Italian.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there are many restaurants in metro Detroit that are "better" than Coach Insignia...

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insignia is an excellent restaurant, which is often unusual for "top floor restaurants" who usually rely on the view . It is expensive but definetly fine dining... They used to serve lunch up to last year that was an absolute bargain, I guess they didn't figure it was worth it. Anyway, its a great place, even the cocktail lounge is a fun place to go for a late night drink and a wonderful view with people you want to be with.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the summit was a few floors higher than that of coach insignia. It is possible that the revolving space is still there, just not being used.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take here to Cuisine in Mid-town for something special. I feel like I'm in Toronto or Chicago when I'm in there...very cool.

http://www.cuisinedetroit.com/

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible to go up for a free view?
When it was the Summit you could go one floor above the restaurant for a nice view; with no rotation of course.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, a free view of the city can be had if you go on the GM Renaissance Center tour...

Renaissance Center Tour – Monday through Saturday at 10am, 12 noon, 2pm, 4pm. Free. Includes a stop at the Coach Insignia restaurant for a bird’s eye view of the city.

Takes about one hour, maybe a little longer, but is well worth it!!

http://www.property-website.co m/sites/82/live/upload/files/t our_rencen.pdf

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andiamo - That's some gooood Italian! Their pasta sauce will melt her pants right off! JK

Coach Insignia is good also, but plan on dropping a Hundred +.

Cuisine is also very good. You can have the Matre-D pick your dinner for you which is nice. Simply ask him to have the Chef select the dinner. Very gooood and Exxxxxpensive

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.