Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Info on Downtown Ymca « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 962
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked in the archives and saw some opinions but i was wondering if there were any new opinions or if anyone knew price rates. I'm looking into joining with my lady.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$70 per month for you and your lady along with a $75 fee for signing up (reduced from $150). Excellent equipment (Free Motion), friendly if somewhat indifferent staff. But, so far, no parking (other than meter parking on the street when you can find it). The facility was built with a capacity for 11,000 members but has less than 3,000. This is a major advantage in not having to deal with a lot of sweaty, smelly people bumping into you as you work out.

Chitaku

Post Number: 964
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn 70 is alot,bally total fitness which is a pure ripoff was 35

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep it in the D Chitaku!

Chitaku

Post Number: 968
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul I moved into the nikkis lofts, if you have my number give me a call when you're in town

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chuck, they have a family rate... if somehow you could convince them that you are a family with some friends, you can share it with up to four people... - andy

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just stop by and ask for a tour of the facility. If after the tour is complete you find that you are still are on the fence, the membership rep. will offer you a guest pass to try it out for a week or so. With a full facility membership at the Boll YMCA you have access to all the Metro YMCA facilities, join one join them all membership. I believe that the Boll has a special if you decide to commit for a year membership the joiners fee will be $10 o $20, can't recall exactly. Membership is drafted monthly from your checking account or applied to a credit/debit card, you can cancel at anytime with a thirty day notice so no contract similar to a cell phone is necessary. So, just stop by, you will be happy you did. In addition to improving your health you will be part of a terrific non-profit organization that helps send kids to camp, is very involved in our community and strives to improve your mind, body and spirit.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 395
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, you live well within walking distance of the Boll Family YMCA so parking will not be an issue for you.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 503
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I joined recently and it was the best thing I've done all year. $70 a month for a couple, the joining fee was only $25 and most classes you want to take are free. Since I'm paying, I feel like I need to work out ot get my money's worth, and I feel 100 times better. I've rationalized the expense as skipping one bar night a month to pay for 20 workouts. And the older I get, the more one-sided that equation gets in favor of the workouts. Just do it, you'll be glad you did. Besides, you're starting to look a little flabby.

Neilr

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tomorrow, December 5, will be the First Year Anniversary of the opening of the Boll family YMCA.

Chitaku

Post Number: 969
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spitty is it 70 total for a couple? that sounds more feesible Either way I'm probably going to work out there because I normally am hardcore into excercise, but I just do not enjoy the WSU gym at all

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$70 total, $35 each per month. Or $60 for one person per month. The value you are receiving for what you are spending is solid. And no guys slamming weights around, slapping shoulders while going into the bathroom to juice up between sets. That would be WSU's gym. It sucks by comparison (but will have added another 15,000 sq ft of space by March with new equipment).

Chitaku

Post Number: 970
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sweet sounds good thanks everyone

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7391
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so WHO wants to fake being my partner so we can avoid this unfortunate discrimination against single people?!

What kind of crap is that?

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i cant stand the fact that the boll ymca membership fee is so much higher than other branch locations around metro detroit. my family already has a general membership. when i lived with my parents in warrendale, i used to travel ten miles to the livonia Y to work out after the fairlane ymca closed. we pay a $66/month fee for the whole family.

i went on a tour of the boll ymca's facilities. one of their employees told me that they do not recognize general ymca memberships because the boll Y offers so much more in facilities and services than other locations. so i would have to pay THEIR membership rate- which is much higher than what i was paying for a general membership fee.

i don't remember the fee being 70$ when i asked back in august. they must have changed it. i remember it being like 85 dollars or something. unless my memory is failing me.

i wish midtown had a YMCA. im a wayne state student so i usually go to the wayne fitness center to work out but it does not compare to a YMCA.

Neilr

Post Number: 398
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that the monthly rate is a good deal less for people under the age of 30. The $60 per month rate is for individuals over 30. There is a senior citizen rate also. I'm not sure what that is or how old you need be to qualify. For an extra $10 per month, you can rent a small kit locker (about 1 cubic ft.) to stow shoes, etc. Towels are provided by the Y.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 644
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't join the Boll YMCA because the YMCA left the beautiful, Pewabic-filled, Edsel Ford gift YMCA on Clark to rot (and rot it has), left the neighborhood kids to fend for themselves and chased the big money people. I'm glad to hear that their membership is only one-third of what was projected.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure about the Boll YMCA and how they handle financial assistance for families who need an outlet for their children and can't afford the membership rates or for individuals who are struggling financially but I do know that all metro YMCA facilities offer extensive aid to families in need. All you need to do is ask for a financial aid application and provide a recent copy of your W-2 and proof of state aid or a recent pay stub or a letter from your employer verifying your wages and within a week or so you will be contacted and an appointment will be made to determine how the YMCA can assist you. Every situation is different, sometimes 100% is covered sometimes a certain % of membership is covered at three month intervals. The YMCA has a great deal to offer and if you join you will find the atmosphere to be relaxing and very much community based.
Another nice perk to having a membership at the Y is that if you travel, most YMCA facilities will allow you to use their branch as long as you have your membership card to show at the front desk. Some locations may ask for $5.00 to visit others will just say "welcome", each branch is different.

Roaringmouse
Username: Roaringmouse

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will Gannon! Actually, I just called about getting a small biz rate. I've got 2 others who want to join, too. You'll have to do some work for Inside Detroit.

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"i cant stand the fact that the boll ymca membership fee is so much higher than other branch locations around metro detroit."

$70 for two people per month to be able to work out and partake in many free classes like Yoga and Pilates in a $30+ million facility is a lot of money? There is no free lunch, but this is close.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boll YMCA has 2 different parking deals with the Opera House Garage for reduced rates. A full monthly parking program for the downtown worker which is below the regular rate for monthly parking at DOH. Or a 3 hour limit per day program for people coming down to work out and then leave.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay. This is rather confusing. So many numbers being tossed around... What should I, a 30 year old Detroiter, expect to pay up front and then a month? They wouldn't give a straight answer over the phone (and that was a call-back from a, presumably, informed employee).

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3377
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still wondering about the 'join one join all policy' deployment. Originally they said they were not going to honor cards of members of other YMCA's, but the times I have been down there, my swipe cardlet worked with no problems.

At the old YMCA [Tiger's ballpark now] they honored other cards. Back then they had a two tier system of a basic membership and an enhanced one with a better locker room. Downtown this was called the BMC or Businessmen's Club which included a steam bath. That rankled me because my Y, Highland Park, honored theirs.

They did not honor other enhanced memberships in the BMC, you had to go down in steerage to the general locker room.

As for their facilities being superior, that is BS. Livonia and Farmington YMCA's have equivalent facilities. One thing noticeably missing downtown is are saunas, standard in almost all metro y's. Only two handball courts which, can double for squash, are another cheap-out in my book.

My guess is that they realized their lack of superior facilities and are either quietly ignoring their plan to not honor the "join one, join all' or are allowing it slide while they introduce the new place and fill the membership.

Besides, if they get much higher priced, some might say 'fa-get it', take the extra hit and join the DAC which kicks all butts everywhere.

Nonetheless, it is a beautiful and impressive facility with great outside lighting flowing into it. You will not be disappointed with a membership there.

Happy first birthday to it. Detroit Rises!

Gannon

Post Number: 7414
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roaringmouse,

Does my time in the peanut gallery during management meetings already count?!

Put me to work ANY day with you maniacs...are you KIDDING me?! Talk about your dream jobs...

Cheers!

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 904
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest, the YMCA doesn't own it, Dennis Keffalino does.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that - but the YMCA dumped it very cynically. First the plan was for a half-way house - as if the YMCA didn't know how problematic that would be for the neighborhood. So the interim buyer sold it to Keffalino. Didn't the YMCA have a clue about where this might go?

The YMCA has a mssion and the Clark YMCA fit it perfectly: families, kids needing recreation, needing improved lives.

How does the downtown YMCA fiot the mission?

Gannon

Post Number: 7427
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually very well, just further from you.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The downtown Y is a beautiful facility, and I might leave FitnessWorks in the New Center but for one thing: no sauna.

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treelock, I was a member at FitnessWorks and the new Y blows it away by comparison. Sauna or no sauna.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took the tour of the facility when it first open and was very impressed. Its nice and state of the art, the one thing I would be concerned if I went there is that they seemed to be limited in the weight training department. They have a decent selection of weight machines but im sure there are long waits during peak hours, perhaps someone can confirm that or not. There free weights also seemed to be an afterthought as well. The room is kind of tucked away and is very small. All and all though its a nice facility.

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been a member for two months and it's never been so busy where I had to wait to use the free weights. They have 1,800 members and the facility was built for 11,000. That should give you a good idea as to how much busier it would need to get to be crowded.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.