Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » AT&T dangles $620M, new jobs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 625
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Telecom giant says it'll invest big in Michigan if cable TV, Web and phone service rules are revised.

LANSING -- AT&T played the trump card Thursday in its push for a dramatic revision of Michigan's video franchise regulations: the promise of a $620 million investment and 2,000 new jobs in the next three years.

"It would be a nice Christmas present for Michiganians," said AT&T Michigan President Gail Torreano, whose company is eager to package cable TV and high-speed Internet with phone service in the competition for consumer dollars.

Torreano said AT&T's expansion and investment in Michigan would be much slower if it's forced to negotiate separate cable TV pacts with each of the 1,100 communities where it now offers phone service.

Her comments came as lawmakers consider a bill to draw up uniform statewide rules governing video services.

The bill would create a state agreement that essentially would replace the franchises cable TV companies such as Comcast and Charter are now required to negotiate with local municipalities. It's intended to boost competition by making it easier for additional firms to enter the Michigan marketplace.

Rep. Andy Dillon, D-Redford Township, who helped craft the measure, said it "will move Michigan into the 21st century for telecom." Dillon next year takes over as speaker of the Michigan House.

The legislation passed the House by an 80-21 margin Nov. 14 and is under consideration in the Senate. If it's adopted in its current form, Torreano said, AT&T is ready to upgrade its fiber-optic network and hire 1,200 additional high-tech workers here by the end of 2007.

AT&T has invested $250 million in Indiana and $800 million in Texas since they revised their cable TV rules in a similar way, according to Rep. Mike Nofs, R-Battle Creek, the chief sponsor.

But city officials, loath to lose local control -- and possibly some of their franchise revenue -- want changes in the bill. Consumer groups argue it weakens guarantees there will be local channels where community events and government meetings are telecast.

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who gives a shit if I can't watch my inept local govt. on cable? I want options. My local govt. has been sucking on Comcast's tit and handing them the cable monopoly for years. Its time we had competition!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3165
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL.... Mod you certainly can paint a picture with words!!

It is interesting how Michigan Bell... aka Ameritech... aka SBC... aka AT&T... sold off their cable company Americast... aka Wide Open West... several years ago, and now want to get back into the cable business.

I agree this is a win-win for the State of Michigan. Take away the "back room" deals of local politicians in awarding cable franchises.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Competition in public utilities is a sticky wicket....more complicated than the need for a fair market.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 161
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the state works with the local cities with current contracts with Comcast/WOW to reimburse them to offset there losses...it could work.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genesyxx, do you have a link to the article?

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 776
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Genesyxx, but here's a link:

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash /michigan/index.ssf?/base/news -39/1164908489150480.xml&story list=newsmichigan

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dave!

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 539
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I am wow customer actually.. I was an Americast customer.. I never understood why they sold off there cable business... Mind you WOW has made great strides in customer service, technical services and otherwise.. I was Shocked.. ONLY 2 companies I deal with have ENGLISH speaking people in the US answers there phones.. They are WOW and Sprint PCS.. Shocking.. everyone else has moved to India.. when I call these folks.. My problems are fixed quickly NO script! :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3174
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's just something that grates me the wrong way when I hear someone say "Hi, my name is Kevin, how can I help you"... with a Bengali accent!!

You know damn well his name is NOT Kevin. All these folks in India are assigned American names to use. That pseudo deception really irritates me! It's like... we're not stupid!

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was just me glstok. I "LOVE" my Vonage service EXCEPT for the Indonesian named Sue who doesn't understand common english words.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comcast has real Americans on the call lines to do customer service. They are located in Sterling Heights on Van Dyke, and in fact they just expanded there so they can cover customer service for Minnesota. I had WOW for a while, but their high speed internet was crap so I went back to Comcast.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comcast is a Philly company. And its local service reps have been housed in various offices in the burbs--formerly in Plymouth Twp. and now in Ann Arbor and elsewhere. I have little to complain about my broadband (which is some three to four times T1 speed).

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It would be a nice Christmas present for Michiganians," said AT&T Michigan President Gail Torreano

I didn't know she was talking about people living near the Wolverine/Hoosier line and not the rest of us Michiganders.

:-)

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time I call Comcraps customer service I ask where they are. The answer, Sault St. Marie, Canada.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The few times I needed any service from Comcast, the personnel were from the former Metro One office (think that was its name) acquired by Comcast a few years ago near the prison in Plymouth or somewhere in Ann Arbor. Never had any from out of state.

Syd
Username: Syd

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The AT&T "U-verse" project will create jobs for a few years then the layoffs will begin.

Once all that fiber is in the ground they will not need the work force that they now have.

AT&T makes billions of dollars but at this point they are letting the condition of existing plant fail. When SBC bought Ameritech in 1999 the then CEO of Ameritech Dick Notebaert fluffed the stock price to a level; that couldnt be sustained. SBC never recovered from that purchase and the stock has been stagnant since 1999.

Dont be fooled its all about greed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.