Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Anybody been to the Second City lately?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondering since they've moved out of the city to Novi if they're doing better/worse??

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is that like New Center?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do people go to Novi on purpose?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Andiamo in Novi (where hubby's band plays every Friday and Saturday evenings) is in the same complex as the Second City and the Dirty Martini Lounge. All three businesses seem to be quite busy on the weekends. Nearby bars and restaurants often have lines to get in as well on the weekend.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They took the crappy comedy to the yuppies rather than making the yuppies come down for the comedy. What's wierd is that this happened at a time when more and more young suburbanities were/are becoming perfectly fine with going Detroit for shows/nights out. Basically it was a stupid move by Second City, unless they can show that they are making millions more than they did downtown.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2984
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't SC move because their rent/lease deal expired and they didn't want to pay the market rate at the Foxtown site? I suspect the Novi deal was a similar thing, a low rent/lease to attract people to help grow an entertainment district.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand it was a pet project (read: Christmas gift) for one of the Illitch kids and after the franchise (for lack of better word) contract ran out they just let it expire. A new party came picked up the contract and did market testing for Novi's wonderful 3 Mall Intersection (what a f'in joke that is).

Besides, nothing says hip, dangerous comedy like NOVI, MI!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7276
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is NOT a joke.

It is a great revenue stream for the city of Novi.

The cops are lining up to 'sell' tickets every night at that place.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 726
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They took the crappy comedy...

What a shitass thing to say, Mackinaw.

Amy P.
SC Alum

(Message edited by Amy P. on November 30, 2006)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suddenly I am reading Mackinaw's assertion "Mike Duggan is a stand up guy" in an entirely different light.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 416
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a sad day when SC moved to the NW burbs. It sure would be nice to have them downtown now, it would be another attraction to draw the yuppies downtown.

After all, Detroit would have something in common with Chicago and Toronto, a world renowned attraction.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a great revenue stream for the city of Novi.

Right, right, cuz Novi needed more money. I forgot.

I haven't been since it left Detroit, nor will I ever go again. Screw 'em.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am scene the show.. I was not impressed.. Not like they were any better in Detroit Either.. Just not that funny to me.. the venue is much smaller actually.. But yeah not impressed.. never was..

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 958
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy p did you teach any classes at second city?

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 727
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, no, I didn't teach. I went through the academy in 99/00 and improvised for a couple years after. Planet Ant in Hamtramck also has classes, and most of the Ant are SC mainstage alums. But maybe you you know that. :-)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 960
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah i've worked with Margaret

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.