Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Lowell; trumbull ave. update « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 969
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was perusing the old tour looking for a picture and came across this house/ruin: https://www.detroityes.com/gild/22t rum-balcfull.htm just as an update: the city had sold this house to a mason from new york about a year ago. he was retiring and wanted to come back home to his native detroit. he put some considerable work into the space (first adding a bathroom in the back?), but ultimately decided it was too much work and let it revert back to the city.

about a month and a half ago the front porch collapsed into the street. there was a car travelling down trumbull at the time and received some minor damage due to the collapse. after leaving the scene, the driver was advised that he should appear more hurt in order to bring a lawsuit against the city. about two hours later he parked his car in front of the house, laid down in the lawn, and called an ambulance. promptly two weeks later the house was torn down.

i do not know the outcome of any litigation or if there was any, but the house is now a vacant lot.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit, YES!

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That really sucks! I remember going by a month or so ago to see how it was doing. Here's a pic from 2004

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10928
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would argue the fact that the guy actually made any progress on the place at all. In fact, the little disassembly he did do was probably what led to the collapse.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 971
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, i never sed he made any progress on it, just that he put a lot of work into it.

the collapse was natural (you know how often i saw that house ;) ). besides, all of his work was limited to the back of the house.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10929
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I thought he was the one that began taking down the front porch brick pillars. So both levels collapsed on their own?

You have to admit, as crooked as that brick mail box was he built, he couldn't have been all that great of a mason to begin with. That thing cracked me up.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3362
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I drove by there a few weeks ago and poof! if was gone. Sad loss. I have photographed that site for years.

So here is a little requiem for 4130 Trumbull.

January 15, 2004
4130 Trumbull

June 2, 2005
4130 Trumbull

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That really was a beautiful front, and if restored, really would have been great. Now, I suppose it will eventually meet the fate of demolition (what is left standing, anyway).

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3363
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing is left - only a mud lot.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's too bad. I've walked by that house and I've always liked it. Hopefully, things will work out better for the other Trumbull ruins. That street has a lot of pretty houses.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Empty Lost for ya

http://fadeddetroit.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.