Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » High end Furniture store moves downtown from Ann Arbor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High end furniture store moves from Main street in ann arbor to new digs at Broadway and Grandriver...to bad they didnt get a ground floor space. The article's logic as to why doesn't really make sense to me

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/mezzanine72.aspx

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 648
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent news! Joe is a forumer on Dyes, right?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, $76 stapler and $36 CD holder
sure beats a dollar store.
I wish them well.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 953

"Posch initially was searching for a ground-floor retail space but says, “for an independent retailer, the downtown ground floor business…is pretty bad."

It makes sense.... not many options available... could be space not big enough, or logistically might not make sense for his product. Price might be the issue more than anything else.

Mind_field

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm also thinking that possibly insurance is higher because security might be more of an issue (still) for ground level retail in downtown.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah that makes sense...I hope they will have some sort of signage or street presence though...wish them the best of luck

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7194
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wish 'im luck with Jean Nash.

Hope that security deposit was placed in escrow instead of just being handed over.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Mezzanine the best of luck, but I'm sure they don't need it! :-)

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good - wasn't there supposed to be a furniture store going in an the first floor of the Kales Bldg??

Mind_field

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj, this is the same store that was supposed to move into the Kales. It is odd that the Kales retail space is still unoccupied.

Gannon

Post Number: 7200
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As is the Opera House garage.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mind field, it is a bit strange that they would move to a second floor location with all the first floor available all over the CBD.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 677
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the rents are just that much cheaper on the second floor, enabling the deal to make sense.

The insurance angle seems feasible to.

Gannon

Post Number: 7203
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name locking it to this location might end up troublesome.

Ain't that many Mezzanine's to relocate to...

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The name locking it to this location might end up troublesome.

Ain't that many Mezzanine's to relocate to...

Shouldn't be a big problem... the Ann Arbor store was not on a mezzanine level, either. You're gettin' too literal, here. :-)

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and of course no one will hear about this on the news, just a reminder that "November was a terrible month for US automakers"

Gannon

Post Number: 7205
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize he used that name there...thanks.

There's only four or five people left that know what the word means, anyways.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to Joe Posch! Great news for Detroit.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its incumbent on real journalists to define what "bad" means. I agree, the article should have been written more clearly.

If Mezzanine could get some good press, I'm sure there is a demand for furniture downtown with all of the apartments and lofts being bought.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get the notion of locating a store to the second floor of an off the beaten path location. Yes, I still find Broadway off the beaten path, even though I walk it daily.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They must have some idea what they are doing if they are moving from Ann Arbor to downtown. If they create a destination where people have to go, there will be no issue about being on the 2nd floor. There are plenty of shops in Chicago on the 2nd floor. People just need to know they are there.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 755
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While many of you are hung up on the price of his products, the fact is that Mezzanine does not sell things which can be purchased at Target or Ikea. His products are those cool expensive things you see in New York or other cool cities around the world. Pangborn Design seems to do well?

As for the choice for second floor over first floor? It has everything to do with the outragous rents being asked for in Detroit. For the life of me, I don't understand why the landlords in Detroit demand top dollar for their empty spaces. It seems they all keep waiting for a national retailer to come in and pay $21/Sqrft or more. National retailers are waiting for the Downtown market to gain "feet" before they lay that kind of money down. That means, small shops need to be there and thriving, first, but no small shop will thrive with that kind of rent. That's what Joe means by "you really need to WANT to be in Detroit to locate there" and that it's "bad".

Regardless, I commend Mezzanine for trying out the Detroit market and I hope they do well enough to "WANT to be in Detroit" for many years to come!!!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7161
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't a souvenir shop, 1953. Mezzanine is a high-end furniture retailer specializing in modern design. (http://www.mezzanine-online.co m/) Because of the uniqueness of what they sell, their customers will find them wherever they locate.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Location isnt that big of a deal, as it appears to be *mostly* a web-based business, as he has been running the shop purely via the internet for the last year. His AA customers will come to Detroit for the specialty products, and any walk-in Detroit business will be a bonus.

Like he said, he only moved to the city because he really wanted to, and cares about the revival, not purely a business decision

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yippie! another store doomed to fail like Julian Scott! Why don't retailers sell things that people can afford?

Pangborn is actually a place I shop several times a year. Great sales!

I have to agree with Matt, the 2nd floor of retail buildings are much less expensive than first floor locations. With the name of the store being mezzanine, it makes sense to be on the second floor! I sure hope the building has proper ADA facilities.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its already an established business... I wouldnt say it is doomed...

Detroitduo

Post Number: 759
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jesus! Why do I even bother with this forum. Perhaps all of my friends are correct to have left or been banned from this forum.

[quote] yippie! another store doomed to fail like Julian Scott! Why don't retailers sell things that people can afford? [/quote]

This is precisely the type of attitude in Detroit that will prevent this from being a "real" city. Did it occur to you that there are people who will spend money on cool things, because they WANT to, not because it's affordable? Anyone can sell affordable things, but have to compete with Target or Kmart or Meijers. My Parent's business is suffering after 30 years because of that type of competition. Where is there less competition and a major lack of availability in the Detroit region? high end, nice things. It's not just for Birmingham anymore.

Magnasco

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And add to that Detroitduo that this is a case of people who are saying it can't be done trying to get into the way of those doing it.

Go Joe!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Detroitduo. A majority of this forum gets its underwear in a bunch when a freaking Cheesecake factory won't open downtown. But when a legitimate independent business opens up to fill a niche, then we predict its demise. Is high-end stuff not agreeable to those who enjoy and praise the grittiness that is Detroit? Nobody seems to bitch when a $5 t-shirt sells for $22 just because it has the word "Detroit" or the numbers "313" on it. Of course not! That is the "cool" image that we like. Cheers to Joe! And to hell with those who can't at least be hopeful for someone who is actually DOING SOMETHING to further this city other than going on a pub crawl.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There's only four or five people left that know what the word [mezzanine] means, anyways.

I do! I do! And technically, a second floor is not a mezzanine.
But, hey, I quibble.

quote:

Why don't retailers sell things that people can afford?

I think he means things he can't afford. :-)

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe one reason that a ground floor space wasn't chosen was because this business is called "Mezzanine." The second floor space is most likely not only cheaper, but it reflects the branding the owner has established in the business name. The location - up one flight - will also help sort the "tire kickers" from the real buyers. As Detroitduo and others have pointed out, this place by design is not for the dollar store crowd.

Given the success of loft and new housing development here and the lack of nearby competitors for this quality of merchandise, I think Joe Posch has made a smart move and is gonna do fine.

People with long-term memories here might remember that Adler-Schnee, an ahead-of-its-time home furnishings retailer, was once located in this building in the space where Coach's Corner now is.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is destination shopping - this is not impulse buying.

And how many times have any of you ever been walking down the street and saw the storefront of a furniture store, said "hmmm -- that looks nice" walked in and spent a few grand on end tables? My guess is never.

If you need furniture you go furniture shopping. If you are looking for unique, high-end, expensive furniture, you seek out the unique, high-end, expensive furniture stores. There aren't that many in metro-detroit.

I am sure if somebody had opened the "Mezzanine Ultra Lounge" on a second floor and sold top shelf cocktails at gouging prices people would've looked upon it as the next step in the salvation of the city.

Gannon

Post Number: 7248
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as easy to locate destination...that white building across from the Y and Opera House parking garage is now somewhere people want to find...Broadway all through is getting a face-lift.

I agree, it is a great place, especially if he has an active presence on-line that will take the place of walk-in traffic.

More e-business could think this way and capture some local and tourist business they never dreamed of...as well as give themselves a tangible face for those too squeamish to buy, say, some antique dresser over the phone without seeing it.

Gannon

Post Number: 7249
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Jean Nash isn't as crazy as she wants us to believe.

Doesn't make her any nicer to deal with, though.

Magnasco

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at the website btw. Wow!

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 436
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all no one would be more thrilled than I to see this store succeed. I am just frustrated that there is not much downtown for those that actually live in the city can afford. If you look at how incredibly low Detroit's household income is, and how high the rate of children living in poverty, there is a real need out there for reasonably priced goods and services.

I guess I am frustrated when I look at Woodward, still empty and wonder where are the replacements for Kressgee, Woolworths and other reasonably priced stores from my youth. I'm not seeing them.

More people live in Detroit because its affordable than because its cool. I don't think everyone out there realizes this.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a lot of folks who can't afford an $8 jack and coke too... so does that mean Centaur and proof should close or that they just shouldn't have opened in the first place?

Gannon

Post Number: 7251
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People pay the price of admission they choose.

You're right, no way anyone can judge the market.

Stuff on that website is off-the-charts cool...he could be up in the Russell Industrial Center and succeed...any step closer to a funky street-level door in the middle of town is a bonus to him.

(I was trying to remember what was in that space with the escalators going to the basement, thanks, 'planner.)

A2adguy
Username: A2adguy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved this place in ann arbor, and wish it great success in Downtown, with all the development going on they should do very well.

Magnasco

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want the Kresge and Woolworth stuff you have to go to the store that has come to replace them. I think the nearest Walmart is up off 96. And I don't think it would look too good sitting on Woodward.

The other option is the CVS, which sits on Woodward.

(Message edited by Magnasco on November 29, 2006)

Dabirch

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you want the Kresge and Woolworth stuff you have to go to the store that has come to replace them. I think the nearest Walmart is up off 96. And I don't think it would look too good sitting on Woodward.

The other option is the CVS, which sits on Woodward.

Don't forget the dollar stores.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Family Dollar is a good start at replacing the Woolworths. I can remember shopping there and the second floor they had Levi's on the cheap so its not quite to Woolworth's level but throw in an old navy, steve and barry's or something similar, and you'll have something that everyone can shop at.

As far as Walmart is concerned, I'd rather have my eyes poked out with a searing red hot poker than to buy stuff there.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 761
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that affordable shopping needs to be present, somewhere Downtown, but at $21.00 and higher per sqr ft?!? That's why those discount retailers build and rent out in the suburbs, because their rents are quite low.

I am equally frustrated that we still have so many empty store fronts downtown, but as long as the landlords keep hoping and waiting that they will get their high rent the longer those stores will remain vacant. Chicken or the Egg! No one's laying the eggs, so they'd better go out and start buying some chickens, while it's still hot enough downtown! If nothing continues to happen, it will cool right back down and we will be back where we started. 1970.

Ok, back on track. I really think Joe's on to something. All the best and I look forward to the Grand Opening!

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

yippie! another store doomed to fail like Julian Scott! Why don't retailers sell things that people can afford? ....... I am just frustrated that there is not much downtown for those that actually live in the city can afford.

Most of the retail/service businesses in downtown Detroit ARE affordable...

Borders and CVS are very affordable to the average person. John King has an amazing downtown bookstore with a massive selection and dirt cheap prices. The theatre in the RenCen shows first-run movies cheaper than most places in the burbs. A haircut at a Downtown Detroit barber shop is about the same price as a suburban chain, but the owner-operated downtown shops offer the personalized service and years of experience not found in suburban chain-shops.

cont...

Erikd

Post Number: 772
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am just frustrated that there is not much downtown for those that actually live in the city can afford. If you look at how incredibly low Detroit's household income is, and how high the rate of children living in poverty, there is a real need out there for reasonably priced goods and services...More people live in Detroit because its affordable than because its cool. I don't think everyone out there realizes this.

Detroitplanner,

Your broad generalizations about the income and lifestyle choices of "Detroit residents" has resulted in some invalid assumptions and poor conclusions.

Like most large cities, Detroit is a big place with diverse people and neighborhoods. You can't define the entire city with a broad generalization. Mexicantown, Brightmoor, Palmer Woods, and Downtown are vastly different neighborhoods with different problems and different needs.
---------------

The Mexican markets in SW Detroit, with spanish signs and spanish-speaking workers, are not in business to cater to the 82% black majority of Detroit.

The Book Cadillac condos and Seldom Blues are not in business to cater to the homeless people downtown.

The Save-A-Lot store on Grand River is not in business to serve the residents of Indian Village or Boston-Edison.
-------------

Contrary to popular opinion, not every neighborhood in Detroit is crime-ridden and filled with poor people. In fact, there are actually some Detroit residents living above the poverty line, and we would like to have some more nice retail in the city.

Your suggestion that Detroit residents aren't good enough to have nice stores downtown is ignorant and offensive.

Magnasco

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go getem Erikd.

It is actually something that I get asked my suburban peers is "where do you shop?" And sometimes they mean groceries, but often they are wondering where you go to get the stuff that is for sale at Somerset Mall.

Of course I tell them that there the City has a lot of places, many of which are independently owned, that have what a person needs.

Just like Joe's new place. Cheers.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 439
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please don't even argue with me using your opinions as facts. SEMCOG has broken 2000 census information down by Planning Cluster. The area around downtown is Cluster #4. In 2000, just under 70 percent of the households in this area made under $35,000; with almost half of those making under $10,000. One third of the people in cluster four lived in poverty, often going to bed hungry. 40 percent of the people in the area had no car, meaning that having more affordable stores within walking distance could save them bus-fare, and time. These folks need less obstacles between them and making money than just about anyone else in our society.

http://www.semcog.org/cgi-bin/ comprof/profiles.cfm

Granted, numbers today would show more high income folks. However, there are a large number of the underclass that cannot be ignored.

BTW if you're choosing between buying books or buying something to keep you warm, and you are living in poverty, would you not go to somewhere like family dollar and get a $5 hat or gloves; before buying a book? There is not much that is affordable downtown to seve an inpoverished population, other than Eastern Market.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on November 30, 2006)

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7175
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granted, numbers today would show more high income folks. However, there are a large number of the underclass that cannot be ignored.

If only The Whitney paid attention to this logic. Instead of their failed scheme to provide high-end dining, they should have focused on the underclass and sold hot dogs, too. That way, everyone wins!

Magnasco

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't forget pizza by the slice....

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 440
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again people, I wish him the best of luck and would be thrilled to see him succeed. I am just astonished that no one can see that there is a market need that is not being filled with affordable stores.

BTW, I've ate at the Whitney, the surroundings are great, but the food was very forgetable, I would have rather been served the hot dogs or cup-o-pizza than the tough piece filet mignon I had.

Too often I feel that no one in this forum really cares for people who are needy, and that you want to turn Detroit into your personal fantasyland. Sometimes I find your negative energy and unwillingness to acknowledge that there are poor that exist around you as a very sad commentary on our society. Its all about the show and nothing about helping those that need it. That is just a pathetic way to live.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner said:

quote:

Please don't even argue with me using your opinions as facts. SEMCOG has broken 2000 census information down by Planning Cluster. The area around downtown is Cluster #4.

And to paraphrase the rest of the post, Cluster 4 is full of poor people. Downtown doesn't have much that caters to poor people.

Arrrg, planner-types can be so annoying when they ignore business fundamentals. Look at how big cluster 4 is. Look at the CBD (yellow).

cluster4

Why would the CBD, with the highest land values in the city, be the right place for businesses that cater to people with very little money? Why would it seem reasonable to a planner that people should travel several miles to the CBD to shop at a dollar store when there's probably one along their neighborhood artery?

Why would a planner think that the CBD is enhanced by businesses that cater to the poor? Why would a business aimed at the poor locate in the "high rent district" and pay much higher rent than if they located in the neighborhood closer to their clientele? Why did I even bother posting to this thread?

Best of luck to Mezzanine. The merchandise on the website is great. It's a good fit for CBD Detroit, in a good location. People who want what they have will seek it out.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why would the CBD, with the highest land values in the city, be the right place for businesses that cater to people with very little money? Why would it seem reasonable to a planner that people should travel several miles to the CBD to shop at a dollar store when there's probably one along their neighborhood artery?
Why would a planner think that the CBD is enhanced by businesses that cater to the poor? Why would a business aimed at the poor locate in the "high rent district" and pay much higher rent than if they located in the neighborhood closer to their clientele? Why did I even bother posting to this thread?

Let me give it a shot:

1)Because it belongs to the people, and we need to keep all of those affluent new Detroiters out of here
2)Because supporting neighborhood businesses is not deemed as important to the brilliant visionaries that plan our cities future
3)Because he is a Detroit Planner
4)Because he would assume there would be some taxpayer subsidy to support the higher rents
5)Because you just can't help yourself

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7178
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too often I feel that no one in this forum really cares for people who are needy, and that you want to turn Detroit into your personal fantasyland.

Get a grip. We all live here. We walk past the party stores, dollar shops, abandoned buildings, crack houses, trash-filled lots, homeless hangouts ad infinitum and you worry that we don't realize that Detroit has an underclass?

I'm sorry your tender sensibilities are offended by someone opening a high-end retail store downtown without first having solved the homeless problem. I hope that somehow you can overcome this travesty and maybe even one day walk by Mezzanine without crying.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I hope that somehow you can overcome this travesty and maybe even one day walk by Mezzanine without crying.

But how can I walk by it if it is not ground floor retail?

I will have to walk below it. That is going to suck.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2980
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very tall.

Rustic

Post Number: 2981
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice visual display engineering

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you must be a giant. are you even going to fit in a European sized sofa?

Crew

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, great pic. Who's your tailor?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was you! I was wondering who the asshole was that was staring in my 10th floor window on Thanksgiving day. :-)

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7179
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you seen our statistics??? There couldn't be any tailors in Cluster 4.

Crew

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I know how Ndavies got the "Vinton" letters on top of the building.

Rustic

Post Number: 2982
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't you tell from the photo, I'm euro (russian) that stuff was made to fit me.

Manrooter
Username: Manrooter

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yoo hoo! Rustic!

Rustic

Post Number: 2983
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry manrooter, Clara is the girl of my dreams ...

... although ... ballet references, parades, modern and contemporary designer retail ... hmm I can see why you might have thought it ...

Dabirch

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Clara is the girl of my dreams ...

Clara Peller?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7181
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

auntclara

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This post has degraded significanly...well kind of.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7182
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd feel better if DP went back to being critical of high-end retail in Cluster 4?

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair enough.....

Erikd

Post Number: 774
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff, Track75, and Dabirch have all responded with great counter-points to Detroitplanner, but I will add a few more...

quote:

BTW if you're choosing between buying books or buying something to keep you warm, and you are living in poverty, would you not go to somewhere like family dollar and get a $5 hat or gloves; before buying a book?

Downtown Detroit (and the neighborhoods bordering downtown) are filled with dollar stores, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, public housing, Goodwill clothing stores, and a plethora of other services catering to homeless and impoverished people.

Greater downtown Detroit has more services for impoverished people than any other place in the entire state, but you think that downtown Detroit still hasn't done enough.

quote:

Too often I feel that no one in this forum really cares for people who are needy, and that you want to turn Detroit into your personal fantasyland. Sometimes I find your negative energy and unwillingness to acknowledge that there are poor that exist around you as a very sad commentary on our society. Its all about the show and nothing about helping those that need it. That is just a pathetic way to live.

You have a lot of nerve to make that accusation. Don't even try to talk to me about ignoring poverty in the city, or suggest that new downtown development is a quest for some kind of "personal fantasyland."
-------------

I have lived in downtown Detroit for a decade, and daily life has just started to resemble something close to normal over the last year.

After 9 years of terrible city services, constant construction, and a dearth neighborhood retail and services, the re-opening of basic stores and services has been cause for celebration.
--------------

Detroitplanner,

I respect your concern for the plight of homeless and poor people (I have been unemployed and dirt poor myself), but I don't understand why you think that it is the responsibility of downtown Detroit to provide for all the poor and homeless, and why you think that downtown residents should be denied basic retail and services until we provide for all these people.

Don't give me some books-or-clothing pity bullshit, because you don't hold anybody else to that standard.

The suburbs can build endless rows of strip-mall retail stores, and you don't say a thing, but when the residents of downtown finally get a Borders and a CVS, (after years of living without a basic drugstore) we are accused of ignoring the plight of poor people and attempting to build a "fantasyland playground".
--------------

The residents and businesses of downtown Detroit have just come out of the worst years, and we are way overdue for the basic retail and services that are coming downtown.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in Detroit my whole life. 40 years of it Johnny come lately. My Dentist as a child was located in the Whitney building. I went to WC3D and Wayne State, not because I thought being in the City was cool, but I wanted to strive to get ahead and had no money to afford anywhere else. This should give you an idea about my perspective.

I am not talking about soup kitchens or about homeless shelters, I am talking about low income people. These are the folks who live paycheck to paycheck.

I am talking about basic retail services that are needed. I really don't think we have too much difference between us. I am not talking about junk shops, wig stores, cell phone stores. I am talking about places to buy food or clothes that are of a reasonable price.

Do I support the poor? Absolutely. Do I want shopping downtown that is higher end? Of course I do. The major problem I have with Mezzanine is that they were located in Ann Arbor and closed in the summer of 2005. To go almost two years without a store tells me that this is either mostly a internet/catalog business, or that it is just terribly run.

Incidently, I just left Border's dropped a serious chunk of my Christmas budget there. I am now going to head up to the Art Store at Woodward and Warren to get my nieces some art kits, then I am off to the Detroit Popcorn Co to buy some munchies for a party I am going to tonight.

I do not appreciate being slammed every time I mention that we need to realize that most of Detroit is poor. This is a reality.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck to Mezzanine. I miss them here in A2 as I am a huge fan of the mid-century modern that they featured.

Detroit planner I like popcorn and books but art kits will go unused. Please limit yourself to 50$ when shopping for me this Holiday season.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 454
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, by the time I got to Detroit Popcorn they were shooing people out to close-up. I don't understand businesses that are not open evenings then complain that they don't make any money. They are operating on a very out-dated model where moms stayed home all day and dad worked till he died. Simply opening from 11 to 8 every day you would be able to get a lot more of the day worker and night worker population to stop at your store.

Well CL you'll have to stop by the new Mezz one day.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitPlanner--at least you can buy from Detroit Popcorn's website (though I share your puzzlement).

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 466
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buying popcorn from a website seems insane to me! Hell its bad enough that I'm not making it myself!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.