Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Michigan Department of Transportation « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today, the Michigan Department of Transportation MDOT is shutting down the large buses in Livonia, Michigan. This was not the result of the city voters but decided by our state lawmakers in Lansing. DARTA was an unfunded mandate thus would not have improved mass transit if given the powers it wanted to control SMART and DDOT funds.

The tax on fuel is no longer calculated in the farebox to revenue ratio in Livonia.

The money that was used for bus service in Livonia will be used to build over 25 miles of new freeway lanes in and near Detroit.

If we want to support more taxes for bus and rail then I hope to see the much needed investments FIRST and not a bunch of promises.

I'm one of the thousand people who directly lost on this day to MDOT and SEMCOG's massive freeway plans. I wanted to keep the buses for those who need them and the quality of life that SMART brings to our communities.

It's time for all us to work together and set our differences aside so we can bring back Detroit and our economy and look at our real problems such as the loss of good jobs.

Then mass transit and SMART will have a chance to return to Livonia without greatly increasd taxes that could cripple our state's ability to attract decent jobs.

If you want to fight MDOT to restore funding to SMART then please support my efforts.

Or, challenge the referenced facts in the website, if you can.

http://www.savethefueltax.org

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MDOT is not shutting down the buses.

SMART is shutting down the buses because the people of Livonia have decided to provide their own transit service and 'opt out' of SMART.

Even 'opt out' communities are eligible to receive transit funding from the state as a pass through from SMART.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4761
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why in the hell is he allowed to continue to advertise his website on here? The incessant trolling on transit issues (particularly in non-transit threads) is bad enough, but why is he allowed to shill for his site? Perhaps, I'll start posting a website with every one of my posts and replies.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not shilling for anything or promoting any cause for myself but instead I'm fighting discrimination and the neglect and abuse of the handicapped and crippled who rely on state and federal transit funds in southeast Michigan.

Until we have compassion for others and care enough to take care of the handicapped and the poor --- We will never have a decent cost effective mass transit system of any kind.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.