Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » NYT: Cities Compete in Hipness Battle to Attract Young « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mumbly
Username: Mumbly

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New York Times: Cities Compete in Hipness Battle to Attract Young

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11 /25/us/25young.html

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting article, and very correct in the assumption that if you want to get a class of people to move to your city you need to find out what they want, and you can't just replicate everything that every other successful city has done. Use the assets you have basically.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! Someone desires me!

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They like downtown living, public transportation and plenty of entertainment options. They view diversity and tolerance as marks of sophistication."

Well we have most of those. :-)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let's see... downtown living (check)... entertainment... we're getting there... (check) ... transit, diversity, tolerance... oh, well, 2/5 aint bad...

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But its a big 2 out of 5. We are laying the foundation.

Roaringmouse
Username: Roaringmouse

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon now, downtown has a good deal of diversity and tolerance. At least at all the places I frequent.
It's really just the public transit missing.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 151
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Public transit missing?
Pffft! Just look above you, my friends.
How many other cities can claim to have a People Mover?!
hahaha
Sorry, I almost made it through this post with a straight face.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.