Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Identify this car? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 941
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder if anyone can put a year and make on the car in this photo from the mid-30s. Trying to put detail into a family scrapbook.

(People are my grandparents and aunt. Photo taken at Sorrento s/of Fullerton. The house in the photo is still there.)

car

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe a Ford Model A?

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

link to model A Ford

Look at the 1930 Model A Ford in the above link. You'll notice that the metal design of the radiator is the same (look at the top of the rad), both cars have "suicide" rear doors, and the bumpers match. Both also have slats in the front fenders and a visor above the winshield.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5070
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I restored a 1930 Model A Tudor and there are many pics on the web as this car was very popular. The radiator looks like a 1930 or '31 (they were identical, I think) but the emblem isn't clear in the foto.

Sorry I'm not more help, my guess is '30 or '31 Ford Model A.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 942
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, nerd and Karl. Sure does look like a 30 or 31 Model A Ford. I shall identify it as such in the album I'm putting together.

Grandpa's first care when he emigrated here from Germany in 1923 was a Durant, then this Ford, then a '37 Chevy, then a '49 Kaiser. Have photos of him with all four, and this was the only one that didn't have the car written on the back of the photo.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully John31ford will see this thread and verify which year it is.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 728
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an earlier Model A, 28 or 29 model, as evidenced by the solid stamped radiator shell. The 30-31 models had a plated outer shell and a painted insert at top and bottom. Go to AACA.org, go to forums, under "aaca general" forums go to "what is it?" and put the photo there. They will not only tell you what year it was, but the'll also tell you what month it was built

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.