Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Photo Du Jour - November 23 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6019
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is today's P.D.J.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4498
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW entertaining us on Thanksgiving Holiday, eh.
Thanks. AIW now over 6,000 posts. Mazel tov.
jjaba coming up on 5,000. What do we win?
jjaba.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How 'bout a trip on a Great Lakes freighter? They are few and far between and now are even fewer and far between. Most of the ships that had accomodations for guest-passengers are now scrapped, and it takes real pull to get aboard for a trip.
I know folks who have had the opportunity to take a trip, and they just loved it. Boatnerd.com has an occasional auction or raffle for a trip, and relatives of the captain sometimes get aboard early or late in the season.
We took a trip from Detroit to Montreal in 1970 aboard the Buchenstein, a German freighter sailing out of Bremen, and it was fascinating. More fun than the cruise ships of today. Only a total of 6 passengers,you dined with the Captain and officers, got free-reign of the pilot house and engine room, made your own entertainment---shuffleboard, bridge, reading and Beck's beer at 15 cents a bottle. But those days are long gone now.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 432
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock,

Aren't the Charles E. Wilson, and both John Bolands part of the Cornelius & Boland Steamship subsidiary of the American Steamship Company?

I know they were at one time. I'm at work and don't have my references at my disposal.

Bob Cosgrove

The_rock

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you are right, Bob. American SS is one of the few companies that has not undergone major corporate changes. It's hard to keep up with name changes, companies that are in business one year and are going out of business the next, acquisitions, etc.
My favorite of the old Band C boats was the bulk freighter, B. W. Druckenmiller----LONG gone!, but a really pretty profile on the lakes at sundown.

P.S. you are working? It's Friday after Thanksgiving--You should be home relaxing and planning a trip on the #1225. I see that the North Pole trips are sold out.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4501
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rock. You arrange a trip on a Great Lakes Steamer and jjaba will be on-board. Thanks.

jjaba, no lake steamers on view deep on the Westside.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4502
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can The Rock see lake steamers from his bedroom window there in Grosse Pointe? Wow, views of lake steamers in pajamis.

jjaba.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of ships, does anyone know why the Bright Laker is anchored in the Detroit River just east of the Renaissance Center? We saw her there on Wednesday afternoon and again today.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6022
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering the same thing Kathleen. I pulled over and got a few shots of her today.

(Message edited by aiw on November 24, 2006)

Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock,

My wife and my favorite Corneliius & Boland freighter was the original Adam E. Cornelius because we saw her often with her being on the Toledo to Marysville coal run. I used to see her often from Belle Isle and from my office window at Parke, Davis & Company.

A year after my wife died, my three kids and I had our first annual picnic on her May 23rd birthday. That first year it was on Belle Isle,

While I hadn't seen the original Adma E. inyears, and it had been replaced, guess what passed us downbound - the new Adam E. Corenlius.

It's this kind of think that makes you wonder.

Bob Cosgrove

The_rock

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See-even Kathleen calls a ship "she".
I believe that if you give Westcott a call, they' re usually in the know and will tell you why a particular vessel is tied up rather than moving in the river. Sometimes they have ballast or engine trouble but normally stay out of the freighter channel for obvious reasons.
And jjaba, if it's any of your damn business, I don't wear pajamas.And as far as those lakers are concerned I hear 'em big time, but don't see' em. If I really want to know what is happening, I usually call William Clay Ford and he is kind enough to get out of bed and check with his telescope.
He doesn't wear p.j.'s either.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photos but the ships themselves look like schite! I know they're utilitarian vessels but could they be any uglier or more poorly maintained? Send 'em to India for dismantlement and keep them away from our skyline and out of our beautiful lakes!

Jjaba

Post Number: 4504
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ventura67, you'll get a better price on dismantling in Bangladesh.

Well then, The Rock should know from the sound of the ship, which one is she. Ok, no pajamas, but atleast a velvet bathrobe.

With his love of and mind for ships, we thought The Rock would have a lakefront address. This leaves us to wonder why The Rock has such a huge telescope mounted in the dark attic.

When you call Wm. Clay Ford, ask him why Detroit can't get a decent NFL team. That's a real mess he's running downtown right now.

jjaba, Westsider.

The_rock

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sides of Great Lakes vessels take quite a beating as they tie up to docks and when they go squeeze through the various locks. Painting is a problem as the vessel is constantly on the move during the sailing season and so it does not get a paint job 'til fit-out the following Spring.
Admittedly, they are not things of beauty, especially the "newer" vessels ( and I am speaking of probably 97% of the Great Lakes Fleet) now have self-unloading booms across their decks.Those old straight deckers now nearly all gone, had much more character, and were more pleasing to the eye.
But even the several current "floating rectangles," and I am speaking of the thousand footers, all uglier than sin, still look quite majestic when you are out in the freighter channel at 9 in the morning on Lake St. Claire in a 23 foot Sea Ray and you watch those big guys slide by from a just a few yards away.

Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 435
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock in his last posting mentions a Sea Ray boat. Did you know the name "Ray" is also the last name of this boat's original maker. He was the son of Indian Village resident Cornelius Ray.

Bob Cosgrove

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a coincidence!! While catching a bit of "The Pride of The Yankees" (1942) this afternoon, there was a scene in which Lou Gehrig is talking to his mother about how he is received in the various cities in which he plays and mentions that you refer to a city as "she". To which his father replies "Ships, too!"

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see the freighters from my bedroom window at my cottage and can hear them from home and I rarely wear pj's either.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4508
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is this a fashion show or a discussion about freighters?

Since there isn't much water view here on the Westside, maybe somebody can post a photo of the square pants ship described by The Rock. Merci.

jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.