Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Cool fog this morning... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen some pretty amazing skyline scenes of downtown in my day...this morning was really great. These pics are from my camera phone so not too good...but you get the gist. The city was nearly invisible except for the tops of a few towers. Anyone else have images to share?

p

p

My commute out I-75 was pretty cool too...the fog stayed low so was thickest under overpasses...kinda neat like a modern day "Sleepy Hollow" movie...

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2953
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like there is finally enough parking in the CBD ...

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 344
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a wierd fog, thick as hell. I could barely see until I passed over John R on 696, then it was clear like it never existed. Had to check my rear view mirror to verify it was not a dream, yup it was still there. The East Side FOG monster!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typical Detroit driver. Taking snapshots while driving. With a cell phone no less. Cool picture though.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey now...typical METRO Detroit driver. At least I wasn't taking a picture of something behind me while driving.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, from my 15th floor view, that fog rolled in in mere minutes like a thick San Francisco breeze. At one point just the top of the Ambassador Bridge was poking through - or was that the Golden Gate?

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it wasn't like Quinn was flying down the express way in bumper to bumper traffic. Neat shots! I was able to sleep in a bit this morning thanks to it being Thanksgiving week and schools being out.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's cool! 313

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 657
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fog is very difficult to capture in photographs for some reason. I remember a day about 2 years ago, in October when it was like this morning. I live on the 8th floor of an apartment building and when I woke up that morning and looked out the window, I felt like floating in a cloud. It was really neat and later on that day I went into town and took some pictures of the Ren Cen whose upper half was totally shrouded by the fog. It was very visible in real but the fog was almost invisible in the photos. I think I posted a couple of these pictures here back then ...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 936
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As is my daily habit, I started my computer day by clicking on WDIV's Windsor cam to see the Detroit skyline and see what the weather was "back home".

The fog was apparent, but the Detroit River was like an absolute mirror this morning; not a ripple to be seen. It was very unique.

I shuda right-clicked and saved the image, but didn't. :-(

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A side benefit of a low ceiling is the reflections from the clouds enabling one to see several miles away into Windsor or other locations near or on the Detroit River that would be impossible to see otherwise from low-elevation locations in Southwest Detroit.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed some very eerie fog on the river while driving Jefferson at night...especially near Belle Isle. I am not skilled with the camera phone tho.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3331
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are two from this morning. It was interesting that only a couple of miles to the NW the sun was shining. This was only over downtown and toward the SE.

foggy detroit

foggy detroit

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young_Detroiter has a question:

How do access WDIV's WindsorCam? After the redesign of the site, the weblink or camera photos is not visible on the main page.

Do you have the link?

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV Windsor Cam

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ wxcam/1807532/detail.html

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Detroit area still fogged in? I just saw a news report that visibility is .1 mile.
That sounds like pea soup fog.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7150
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're probably over a half mile visibility now.

It was nearly unbelievable, my Livonia friend and I ended up driving one lap around Belle Isle after an early Zeff's breakfast...we used to run jetskis on the river, and when he saw that glassine surface he just about cried.

There is something special about flying 55 mph on the water first thing in the morning, but even just imagining it in this fog is suicide...they'd give you a special Darwin award category.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.