Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit Documentary? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, did anybody catch the 30 minute piece with Lily Tomlin, Lily's Detroit, that WGTE just showed? The credits said it's from a larger project about the city. I don't recall seeing it mentioned here (yes, I did a search, too). I've often wished somebody did an honest, thorough doc. on Detroit.

http://www.detroitdocumentary. com

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 932
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREAT link, pup....thanks a bundle!

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone has about $100k lying around, I've got a version of Final Cut & a digital camcorder.

Although, I'm not sure that my boss would approve of the time off. :-(

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That website was created back in 2002, I don't think this is a new documentary. I never heard of it until now though.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The copyright on Lily's Detroit was 2006. I think the docu is a work long in progress and short on funding. There was an email addy given for viewers to contact to purchase a dvd (I think it was 3alarm@ameritech.net).

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched about 15 minutes of the piece last night. I thought her stories were good, and there was good footage of Detroit/Highland Park, but Lily was watching the same footage as us. She didn't actually go to Detroit, which took some credibility away from the documentary.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does that take away credibility? She was reminiscing about her years here as a kid while they showed what the areas were like today.

Sonhouse2
Username: Sonhouse2

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, this is a long time project. It is the project of a guy originally from the Detroit area but was staying in Chicago, at least he was when I contacted him a couple years ago back when i was an expatriate staying there myself. Back then he had a site with his other work on there as well including a music vid shot in the Michigan Theatre. I believe he has had some trouble keepin it goin, but it was a pretty ambitious project to begin with. I have been trying to keep tabs on him and was glad to see this on here.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 411
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the film on WTVS a few nights ago. It was interesting, but not enough to sit through a second time.

Sonhouse2
Username: Sonhouse2

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it finished?

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lily Tomlin was showcased in recent show (a rebroadcast?)on PBS/WTVS 56 - the Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for American Humor awards ceremony from Washington D.C.: http://www.kennedy-center.org/ programs/specialevents/marktwa in/. Tomlin was the the winner in 2003.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lily Tomlin talking about her FORMER Hometown? Does re-incarnation count? As far as I know, you can only have one Hometown. I may be nit-picking but there are a long line of filthy rich celebs from the D who have a monumental case of selective amnesia, a list longer than Woodward Avenue. Diana Ross alone has the means to renovate complete neighborhoods, and she wouldn`t notice the pinch in her pocketbook. I am sorry if I am singling out a Holy Person here but I am mentioning her as an example, not as the only one who could do something to give back to the place that gave them so much.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 730
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some Avalon theatre tickets--two "bricks" worth. If I had a good mail address for Ms. Tomlin (agent, service, etc.) I'd be happy to mail her a few, If she would like a souvenir.

3alarm
Username: 3alarm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still working, sloooooowly on the Detroit Project, i now live in Ann Arbor, and the pictures of the houses that morph from original to the ruined state that are on my website, thankfully have been rehabbed, so that is a change i have to make to the site. Currently i am shooting the Detroit SRT for A&E's SWAT series, so i have been busy with that, but yes, the interviews are continuining, and i have given up on trying to get any grants, waste of time. but thanks for the interest. Lily's Detroit was not ever intended to be the completed Detroit film, i just knew it would be years before i got this thing finished, and i loved her storys, it was a chance to make people who like 8 million edits every 10 minutes crazy! i think it worked, some people love it, and other people hate it.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks like a WONDERFUL project, 3alarm. If there's anything I can do to help, research, etc., I'd be happy to lend a hand. I have often wished that someone would tell this city's story since so many have either forgotten its greatness or never knew of it in the first place.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't stop watching the transforming houses stuff. It is as neat as it is depressing. Have you done a lot of those 3alarm? Or just the two? That could be a neat - although time-consuming - project for Lowell to take on next. :-)

3alarm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have those 2 houses, the original images were taken from that Harper Ferry fellows "the buildings of detroit" book, we just lucked out and found 2 originals that still had houses... and like i said, they are 2 that are being re-habbed right now, although the spire on the one house on the first page, its not as impressive as the original peak. there is another house on a street like on block south of mack... near 75, that is sort of slowly crumbling brick by brick, that one is just incredible depressing, i have some shots of that one, but i cant imagine that it will get rehabbed, too tragic. As part of my job following the SWAT guys around, yesterday we went into the old police horse stables, incredible building, haunting, there was still the vets report on each horse written on a chalk board in one of the halls, i dont think we will ever see mounted police on the streets again, but that building is worth poking around in... its on bethune, i think its always unlocked.

3alarm

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56 packman, do you have any images of the Avalon? i would love to get a few of those tickets, to place in the film, and im sure lily would love one too!

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bethune and what? I'd love to see that.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3alarm,
I'd be happy to help you with some of the grammar stuff ("moved its headquarters to L.A.," not "it's headquarters"). After all, that's what I do for a living, copy edit.
And if you'd like, I can put you in touch with Bill McGraw and Peter Gavrilovich at the Free Press. They're the historians who wrote "The Detroit Almanac." McGraw also writes the Motor City Notebook feature for the Freep. Those two guys know oodles and are full of antidotes.
My favorite from McGraw, which I'm sure I won't do justice, was when he saw the MC5 play at his Catholic high school in the mid-1960s. He said Rob Tyner came out and yelled, "Kick out the jams, Mother Superior!" haha. But he's full of that sorta stuff.
Let me know if interested.
My e-mail is daustin99 AT freepress.com.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Convention & Visitors Bureau just had a tv show on last night. Produced by Mort Crim's "Our Story". I thought it did a good job of telling the story about how the image of Detroit is greatly improving across the country. Now, businesses are starting to take another look at coming here.

3alarm

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the new 2nd page of the site has a couple of new images, including the rehabbing in process of that one house on ashley i think its called.... plus some of the grammatical changes mentioned above, and a little minor layour change.
And in other good news, Lilys Detroit is premiering in LA this week! whooo hoo!

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2461
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

After all, that's what I do for a living, copy edit.
And if you'd like, I can put you in touch with Bill McGraw and Peter Gavrilovich at the Free Press. They're the historians who wrote "The Detroit Almanac." McGraw also writes the Motor City Notebook feature for the Freep. Those two guys know oodles and are full of antidotes.

Someone keeps trying to poison them? Too funny! ;)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4566
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MARY JEAN TOMLIN, aka LILY TOMLIN. Born in Detroit, Sept. 01, 1939.
She has a younger brother, Richard, four yrs. younger.

Tomlin attended Crossman Elementary, Hutchins Intermediate, and Cass Tech. HS, class of 1957.

She lived in the D' Elce Apts., Hazlewood Street on the Westside, adjacent to the wealthy Boston-Edison District.

Lily went to Wayne Univ. as a pre-med student as she was very skiled in science and math. She also took drama classes and acted in school plays at Wayne. After her Junior Yr. in 1960, she left Detroit for New York City to try acting and comedy as a career.

Much of her fine skits, acting, plays, etc. were written by her partner of 30 years, Jane Wagner with whom she lives in Los Angeles today.

Tomlin has won Emmys, Tonys, and numerous other awards in her acting and comedy career. Among her stunts were saying funny things on the PA system of the Times Square Howard Johnsons when she worked as a waitress and passing out coffee as a Red Cross Nurse to those on-line in front of the theater at which she was doing a one-woman show.

Lily Tomlin, PO Box 27700, Los Angeles, CA 90027.

jjaba, Proudly Westside, Cass Tech., '59.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3alarm, shoot me an email at
56packman(at)twmi(dot)rr(dot)c om

I have some pictures, although I am looking for better shots of the theatre

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When was Detroit the Documentry on? I know the website and have seen the movie once, a friend had it...They played it on TV?

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was another documentary done a year or so ago by some grad students at UM. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was played for audiences in Ann Arbor but I don't know if it was ever distributed. I heard it was very, very good but I've not been able to find it.

There is also "In the D" by Trick Trick. That might not be good. :unsure:

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lom, I believe that was some British outfit that did a documentary on Detroit ruins and they showed it in Ann Arbor. They were supposed to make the documentary available on DVD for purchase but I've since lost the link. I certainly would like to get that DVD.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.