Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Thanksgiving Day Parade « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many parade goers do we have in the group?

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<-------WILL BE ENJOYING BREAKFAST @ BALTIMORE LUNCH AND THEN PARADING IT UP AROUND 8:00A.M.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 829
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me and Mrs. Dog wil be in attendance somewhere.

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there. I bought tickets.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenay, you know its free, right?

Man, somebody got Jenay good!

Just like when the homeless try to sell free newspapers!

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got grandstand tickets. :P

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering what time do people start lining up...if I roll outta bed at 7 and walk up there will there be somewhere to sit ??

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While there are always the diehards that park their RVs and setup their makeshift viewing platforms the night before, you can always walk up to the parade. When our boys were young, there was no way we could camp out, so we would just cruise on in around 9am, find a place to park somewhere in the vicinity of Mack Ave. and Cass and walk over to Woodward and head north or south until we found a place to sit or stand comfortably. This should still work, only head south since the Parade begins at Mack this year.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexandrine & Woodward...as always!

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your at Alexandrine and woodward this year, you are in the staging of the parade. The official start which I am not please about is Mack and Woodward.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2332
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that they've also bumped the start time up about 40 minutes earlier...that wasn't very nice of them.

Thanx for the heads-up, Troy!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup: was hoping to see it from warmer digs @Canfield & Woodward, but then they changed the starting spot :-(

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2333
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there. I just won't have 30 of my closest friends with me. For the last 6 years I hosted a breakfast party at my condo. No party this year since I sold my condo.:-( At least the temps won't be near zero like it was last year.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just drove up Woodward from downtown and saw an army of RVs parked and ready for the parade. Also saw many of the floats in waiting north of Mack Ave. Very cool!!!

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, I'm considering watching it from Orchestra Hall. (yes, yes i'm aware the "official" starting place is Mack & Woodward, but honestly what's the difference if i'm one block north?) I couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone at work (DSO) today regarding the building being open for the parade or not.

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoops, just checked my email... Orchestra Hall will be open :-) Doors @ 730am and i believe it's a fundraiser for the Civic Youth Ensembles.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AARRRGG!! Just got word that I have to be in Lansing for a family gathering early in the morning, instead of the afternoon. I wish like hell I could be here tomorrow. :-(

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 813
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gratiot and Woodward!

Imperfectly

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I will be at Gratiot and Woodward myself !

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watching the parade on TV right now. (Yeah, this would've been a good year to see it in person... d'oh.)

I was about to ask how they get the big balloons around the people mover track at Grand Circus Park, but right now they're showing a balloon being squeezed under the track...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3326
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Up and down Woodward from the Addison.

P

P

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Captain Underpants!!!

Mcp001

Post Number: 2333
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pix, Lowell.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at a spot right in front of the old NBD headquarters at the curve around Campus Martius. People were crossing back and forth across Woodward. The cops were trying to keep people off the island but eventually had to give in because so many people showed up.

Floats rounding that corner had a slightly tight squeeze, but nothing impossible. The fog eventually lifted and the sun came out.

It was a great parade. Would love to see pics of the parade from Grand Circus Park to Campus Martius Park.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great parade, lots of people,, fun floats,, bands,, went to Coaches Corner after, lots of Lions fans,, this is a good day downtown

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was downtown today for the lions game and saw some of the parade because I could not cross Woodward because of the parade. That was fine with me. Campus Martius looked great with the parade. I am so glad that the parade went past CMP this year. So much better than years past. A great Thanksgiving in Downtown Detroit. SO MANY LIONS FANS AND PARADE PEOPLE! The only problem was on the walk back to the car (we parked at cass & fort), Woodward was dead, although I was happy to see the people out cleaning the streets already.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3329
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the...? Deano, Sammy, Frank and Joey?

rat pack detroit
Cast of the "Rat Pack", currently playing at the Gem Theater, pose before the Addison where they are living during their three month Detroit run.

On Woodward pre-parade runners stream past the Addison, a formerly abandoned apartment building restored by Joel Landy and home to the the wonderful Atlas Bistro Restaurant where Joel's decades long running Thanksgiving Parade party has been held for the past few years.
Addison Apartments

Developer Joel Landy entering the Atlas Bistro.
Joel

"Landyland" world headquarters on Charlotte. Joel is currently developing the two properties to the left.
Landy House Detroit

Erichp77
Username: Erichp77

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched from the tube with my folks in Battle Creek. Not the same as being there but it was nice! Go Detroit!

Imperfectly

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pic of Joel ! I live in one of his buildings he restored !

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was standing on the steps at Chase Bank. A pretty decent vista.

My first year in Detroit (2004), I lived in the Park Shelton and just had to slip a coat on and head down to the curb to see the parade go by! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.