Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Ashland Bump « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Banta156
Username: Banta156

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember taking thier car into flight over the Ashland bump, located on Ashland and Jefferson, near Alter Rd on the east side?

I almost killed myself (and passengers) there once or twice.

Good Times!

Banta156

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Banta, I have vivid memories of riding my parents mini-van over it and most likely causing some type of damage, and once nearly hitting someone.

Thinking back to it, the bump is a big safety hazard. Has anyone ever died from any stunts there?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3319
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

View from the Ashland Bump.

https://www.detroityes.com/webisode s/2002/eastside/02.htm

Banta156
Username: Banta156

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG,
I think my friend Marty lived in that house, or the one behind it!

One time I went over that bump in my '68 Mercury and the wheels went all the way to the right while airborn. When I landed it was chaos. I lost the front end, half of the exhaust system and had a cracked windshield.

GOOD TIMES!! :-)

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

60 MPH in a dodge neon, completly wreckless move on me and my friends part, but insane airtime. We landed so hard we caved in the back seat.

Also, going off in a full minivan with the side doors open wasn't too smart either...

Good times though!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they flattened it out a bit a year or two ago. Still a good hump though.

My first time was in 2003 in a Mercury Villager minivan belonging to my cousin.

Audioswhite
Username: Audioswhite

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ashland "Bump" was always a requested thrill for folks visiting.

First time was probably in the family wagon, a 68 Mercury. All of the cars during highschool knew it well.

There was a huge Willow tree right next to that bridge, claimed to be the largest in the state (at least by those on the lower east side)

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I recall a couple girls did meet their demise hitting the tree that sat just over the hill on the left side. Maybe around 1990?
Anyone else recall that?

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on Ashland. No one knew where it was, but as soon as I mentioned "The Bump". Oh yeah, now I know where it is.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved it! Great way to get your adrenaline going before a night out:-)

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 664
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I believe, the location of the oldest willow in these parts... perhaps on the left as you head towards the river?

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of that part of town, did any of you all used to hang out at Angell Park? (AP)

Angell and the park across from the creek are actually potentially beautiful riverside chill spots, and the amount of land in the area is enormous.

What is the state of the neighborhoods surrounding the parks (could this be considered Jefferson-Chalmers?). Any recent investment or housing developments?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.